Nitrox for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive store wants me to take the Nitrox class this winter. I'm a new diver, is this a class that a new diver should consider? I don't have much money, but I do want to take more classes. I plan to take the advanced open water class this coming summer. Can both classes be combined? Thanks for any help.

I would take nitrox course because it is a practical as well as interesting(knowledge).
If money is an issue then you should spend your hard earned cash on more dives than classes.
This is what I understand(could be WRONG): You can take AOW with ONE nitrox dive but need to complete a speciality(different) course to certify as a nitrox diver. The AOW card would not indicate, core dives except, which other two dives you had selected.

If you are short on money, use the money for diving. The benefit won't be apparent to the new diver, so you may as well spend the time and money becoming a diver that will appreciate it. On the other hand, if it interests you, go for it.

I just got back from a trip involving two hour-long drift dives per day to around 80-90' with an hour of surface interval between them. The least experienced person in the group had over a hundred dives and we were still hitting gas before deco. Start doing more dives a day, or strapping on big tanks, and you'll see it. For a couple 45' dives every couple of weekends, I don't imagine that you'll throw the extra $4-$12 a tank to use the cert, so I'd save the $100-$250 class until you will. If money is an issue.

An earlier poster nailed it in : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/406322-nitrox-beginner.html#post6164757

A nitrox course will enhance your understanding of what diving does to you. That fact alone makes it a worthwhile course and personaly I believe that all divers should have this knowledge whether they do or do not use nitrox for their dives. Increasing knowledge should be a goal for every diver. Using nitrox is not only about longer no deco times and hitting gas limits before no deco should not be a reason not to use nitrox. Nitrox should primarilybe used to increase safety margins the longer no-deco times are just a bonus.

Personally I use nitrox on all dives including dives less than 6 meters /20 feet. I standardize my gas to EAN32 so i will never have a doubt about my no deco time or about the deco i would have to do. I know what i can or need to do under any given circumstance as long as I know my depth and time.

A Nitrox course is not a very expensive course and it doesn't take up a lot of time. If given the right way it is money well spent and should be regarded as an investment in your own safety and health. To me there are way more reasons to do it then there are not to.

Last edited:
I put Nitrox class benefit into three categories: 1) the understand part, what nitrox is, how it can help certain diving situation, 2) pratical side, using and handling nitrox. 3) but c-card that let you pump nitrox.

Now, I think PADI Nitrox class is a completely rip off. For 1) you can read it on your own. Very simple concept. Once you understand it, 2) is pratical procedure of using nitrox, this is basically discipline. There are lots of material online for this already. You don't even need to buy the PADI book. The c-card is the only thing you don't get without paying PADI. So my suggestion to OP is first go online and read about 1) and 2). If you think Nitrox can help you, then do the class, pay PADI for the c-card.

Or better yet, skip Padi AOW and Nitrox altogether. Spend the money toward GUE fundamental. This course covers recreation Nitrox material, helps you diving in every aspect ( much much more so than PADI AOW) If you pass, you are certified to use EAN32 automatically.

I put Nitrox class benefit into three categories: 1) the understand part, what nitrox is, how it can help certain diving situation, 2) pratical side, using and handling nitrox. 3) but c-card that let you pump nitrox.

Now, I think PADI Nitrox class is a completely rip off. For 1) you can read it on your own. Very simple concept. Once you understand it, 2) is pratical procedure of using nitrox, this is basically discipline. There are lots of material online for this already. You don't even need to buy the PADI book. The c-card is the only thing you don't get without paying PADI. So my suggestion to OP is first go online and read about 1) and 2). If you think Nitrox can help you, then do the class, pay PADI for the c-card.

Or better yet, skip Padi AOW and Nitrox altogether. Spend the money toward GUE fundamental. This course covers recreation Nitrox material, helps you diving in every aspect ( much much more so than PADI AOW) If you pass, you are certified to use EAN32 automatically.

I agree on the fundamentals part. But that seemed a bit out of scope regarding TS's question.

I do not completely agree on the statement that you can read everything online. When do you know you read it all ? How do you know whether you understood everything correctly. And you are devaluating the instructors input and experience. I am not saying all instructor do a great job, in fact I know some really suck at what they do. Lets just say that an instructor who knows what Nitrox is REALLY about can deliver an interesting Nitrox course (even with the PADI materials).

My response will echo several of the previous comments, and perhaps disagree with some others.
My dive store wants me to take the Nitrox class this winter. I'm a new diver, is this a class that a new diver should consider?
Yes. Nitrox is one of those unbiquitously useful courses, that expands your understanding of diving physiology, and diving procedures, and allows you to use enriched air safely when diving (or, at least allows you to obtain enriched air fills). It is quite common for newer divers to take the course, although there are also plenty of examples of very experienced divers who do not use nitrox at all.
I don't have much money, but I do want to take more classes.
The course itself should be relatively inexpensive (as an example, we charge $89 plus the cost of the crewpak for the PADI course). It is also now a non-diving (or, diving-optional) course that can fill a need for winter-time continuing diving development, without the need to immerse yourself in somewhat frigid waters.
I plan to take the advanced open water class this coming summer. Can both classes be combined?
Probably, depending on the shop through which you take AOW. We periodically have divers in the AOW course who do the nitrox course immediately before (or during), and dive nitrox during AOW for the additional experience. It is not a matter of actually combining the two courses. But, you could easily talk with the LDS through which you are doing AOW and ask if they would include nitrox for a modest (or no) additional fee, as a package deal.

There have been a number of threads on SB about the content and value of the PADI nitrox course, and opinions vary. The reality is that nitrox course quality and value, like many coures across many agencies, can vary according to the instructor / shop through which you take it. So, blanket opinion statements such as, the course is a complete rip-off, are just that - blanket opinion statements that do not necessarily reflect the reality and diversity of the instructional environment, and do reflect individual opinions (and experiences). While I also happen to think that taking GUE Fundies is also a good idea, I think talking about the two pursuits (Fundies and nitrox, or even Fundies and AOW) is an 'apples and oranges' issue and not an either/or proposition.

Back
Top Bottom