Nitrox for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DUI_Diver:

I would've thought so, but when I took the course (back in early '07) as I recall I was taught that the narcotic impact was presumed to be the same.

That said, I've always wondered whether anybody had, or would, research the point. Is your report that it's less narcotic from personal experience, conventional wisdom or what? I've been curious about this issue for some time.

Richard.

I agree that O2 is narcotic, however when I am planning a dive and I consider narcosis I believe N2 is the gas to worry about. In most cases there is always more N2 in a gas mix then O2. The effects of narcosis will come on sooner with the N2 then with the O2 in my opinion. As far O2, my only concern would be tracking my CNS% if I was diving within recreational depths. A benefit of diving with EAN or even Trimix is that you can lower the N2 percentage therefore reducing narcosis at depth. Of course this varies from person to person.

Actually EAN is usually less narcotic then air due to the lower percentage of nitrogen, at least within the recreational depths.

The PADI basic nitrox course teaches that there is no difference between air and EAN when considering narcotic effects. Other courses take other factors into consideration, but the OP's basic nitrox course (assuming PADI) does not.

To get back to Nitrox and how useful it is. In my diving, I can do 3 dives per day on air and do fine as far as nitrogen load goes. My dives have been boat dives at moderate depths (certainly deeper than the 45' quarry dives) and limited time frames (50 minutes usually).

This year was the first year I found Nitrox useful. I was in Roatan doing 4 dives per day and diving on 32% oxygen was an advantage in reducing the nitrogen load on repeated dives.

I am not saying that Nitrox is not a good course, it is. I think the concepts handled help the diver better understand aspects of diving and nitrogen load. But unless you are pushing your no dec limits, it is of limited utility.

For a new diver, I would think that other types of training would be more useful: buoyancy, navigation, night diving etc.

I am not saying that a nitrox course is not valuable. I would think that any diver would want to take one in the course of their training, if for no other reason than to know when they should can benefit from using nitrox and when air will do just fine.

...considering that buoyancy, navigation, deep and night diving already represent the foundation of the AOW course which the individual will also be taking, I think Nitrox is the next logical step for all the reasons mentioned previously and more so if all the other AOW course members have also registered for Nitrox because this is what, in all likelihood, they will be using as part of said course for breathing gas.

Last edited:
Nitrox is a good cert to knock off during the off season because no dives are required. It is nice to have it if you are planning a vacation where you take take advantage of it, but that does sound to be the case. If you are looking to keep on budget, spending your money on the peak buoyancy and advanced diver are the way to go. There are some great advantages to diving with nitrox, but if you not going to need it in the immediate future, focus on the core skills needed to dive in the area you will be diving in most.
Honestly as a new diver you are going to reach your turn pressure before you reach your NDL, so getting more dives in and fine tuning your skills are the areas to focus on.

Last edited:
......That's a course before the real course? :silly: It's not rocket surgery.
$4.99 to learn all you need to know about Nitrox? THAT's not rocket surgery (or rocket science?) :wink:

$4.99 to learn all you need to know about Nitrox? THAT's not rocket surgery (or rocket science?) :wink:
@DiveNav: Could we please keep the shameless marketing posts to a minimum?

For what it's worth, if you are going to promote your products outside of the marketplace, I would appreciate it if you would prominently state the cost of your product in the post. It's misleading when someone asks a question, you reply with seemingly "helpful" information, and, once the person clicks through to your website, he/she finds that you are providing a not-for-free service/product.

Last edited:
As for nitrox and narcosis...

All gases are narcotic to some degree. We don't completely understand what causes narcosis, but from the best feeling we have at this time, O2 should be more narcotic than N2. On that basis, this indicates that nitrox should be more narcotic than air.

However, O2 is used by the body, although not completely. That means that a substantial portion of it is not available to cause narcosis. That is hard to measure, so we can't really be sure how much this affects things.

To my knowledge, no decent test results are available to provide evidence one way or the other.

A relatively small percentage of people around the world does believe that nitrox is less narcotic than air, but the vast majority disagrees. Every agency I know teaches that to the best of our knowledge, there is no difference in the two in terms of narcosis.

If it's only $5, it might be a good buy from someone unsure on whether they wanted to take the course or not. The course is usually overcharged. There is just not that much to learn, and dives are not needed - altho some shops require them so they can charge more. They were required when I took the course, but my Inst didn't get in the water with us.

Why is you LDS suggesting you take Nitrox?

Is it because you are going to need it?

Is it because its a great deal for you paying $100+ for something that could be included in OW or AOW?

Is it because your dive shop wants to ensure you are safe?

Is it because your LDS needs paying clients in a down economy? Ding Ding Ding!

You don't need nitrox, what you need is to get some dives in. After you have 40 or so dives maybe you will consider Nitrox. Maybe not.

Nitrox is very useful on flat profiles. If you have a multi level profile it is still useful, but you can just get shallow a little faster and still have an hour plus dive. Its nice to have on 80' wrecks and on 70' flat profiles. If you have a dive trip coming up like that go for it. This assumes you don't suck down the tank before you get close to your NDL.

We had a dude in Coz that wanted to dive on the more advance boat. He sucked down his Nitrox is less than 30 minutes and got to hang out with the non English speaking Capt for 40 minutes. He was upset with us for taking so long! So our second dive was 75 minutes, and he wouldn't talk to anyone. LOL....

Chances are the LDS will offer AOW with Nitrox at a discount. You may be wise to wait and combine Nitrox with AOW. If your dive shop is not dealing find one who is. Nitrox requires very little on the shops part. One of the true rip offs in the diving industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom