Nitrox question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
So much for teaching standard gases, and an easy to use EAD formula so you can use your air table you already know anyway........
What are 32 and 36% if not standard gasses?

What I am surprised at is that so many nitrox divers are reliant on nitrox tables. Don't they teach EAD calculations any more. And what if you want a different gas? I like 30% on many dives. I haven't seen any tables for that.

BC, I took the PADI EANx course about 4 years ago and they taught me to use the 32% & 36% tables, an EAD table and CNS % clock table along with the formulas for EADs, MOD & contingency depth, O2PP @ depth. After my girlfriend took the class last year I immediately noticed that glassy eyed look on her face when I talked with her about EANx. I finally figured out last month that PADI no longer teaches the formulas, but only the tables (32% &36%, EAD, O2PP) to basic EANx students. I was told that the course I took was more like an "instructor" level course :icon5: :icon5: :icon5: Since I took my course I have read manuals from IANTD, TDI, PADI TecRec and Trimix and have furthered my knowledge (especially in the math department) which further disgusted me about her "laziness" to apply her knowledge of EANx. I just didn't realize that laziness was not the problem, they did not teach her, a problem that I have now fixed. The tables are, in fact, adequate, but...:icorolley :icorolley :icorolley :maniac: Semper Fi Dave

Mothball:
BC, I took the PADI EANx course about 4 years ago and they taught me to use the 32% & 36% tables, an EAD table and CNS % clock table along with the formulas for EADs, MOD & contingency depth, O2PP @ depth. After my girlfriend took the class last year I immediately noticed that glassy eyed look on her face when I talked with her about EANx. I finally figured out last month that PADI no longer teaches the formulas, but only the tables (32% &36%, EAD, O2PP) to basic EANx students. I was told that the course I took was more like an "instructor" level course :icon5: :icon5: :icon5: Since I took my course I have read manuals from IANTD, TDI, PADI TecRec and Trimix and have furthered my knowledge (especially in the math department) which further disgusted me about her "laziness" to apply her knowledge of EANx. I just didn't realize that laziness was not the problem, they did not teach her, a problem that I have now fixed. The tables are, in fact, adequate, but...:icorolley :icorolley :icorolley :maniac: Semper Fi Dave
Yes I know the look well. I get it every time I teach a tech class to a PADI nitrox diver. I usually have to spend and extra hour getting them up to speed. I teach PADI, ANDI and TDI but have never taught a PADI nitrox course because I don't believe it adequately covers the subject.
Hey, wasn't I just looking something up for you on RBW?

I am taking PADI Nitrox right now, and we get the tables, and have to learn the formulas. Granted it doesnt seem to give much theory behind the formulas (I had to look it up to figure out why the formulas worked), but they are definatly given. I am told the test will have them too, even though the formula will be given. What books are you looking at? The formulas are definatly still being taught in the book I have, which I believe is the most current.

Mothball:
I suspect that the level of detail in the PADI course depends on the quality of the instructor. I took the class in March this year. It included the use of 32 and 36 percent tables, an EAD table and an oxygen exposure table. We also covered the formulas to calculate everything except oxygen exposure without needing a table. The test required us to use the formulas as well.

I still have my cheat sheet that the instructor gave us in my logbook along with all the tables.

Mothball:
I finally figured out last month that PADI no longer teaches the formulas, but only the tables (32% &36%, EAD, O2PP) to basic EANx students. I was told that the course I took was more like an "instructor" level course

PADI still teach the equations else it would be pretty hard to answer the questions on the exam where you need to use these to figure out PPO2 etc. Did your girlfriend do the exam ? Did she not find the last few qustions a bit tricky ? The formulas are still very much part of the PADI Nitrox course.

Scuba_Steve:
So much for teaching standard gases, and an easy to use EAD formula so you can use your air table you already know anyway........

Dive planning made seriously simple, and no hand-helds, 6 flip-charts on a key-ring etc.........

Sad to see niether TDI nor Padi by standard yet teaches this :(
I'll let ya know later next week, after I take the TDI course I just paid for. :)

Materials came with at least one plastic table, but I haven't looked through it all yet.

I got the EAN32, EAN36, and an Oxygen Calculator from NAUI, although I doubt I was "given" anything, lol. I'm sure I paid for it somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom