Nitrox with RR Key Largo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hehatemefrisbee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there, I am diving with RR next week in the keys and I have a question about Nitrox use with them. First, does anyone know what the typical % is there?

Secondly, I am having some debate within the group I am diving with on whether to dive nitrox the entire trip. The argument is that it doesn't make much sense on shallower dives with RR, as you are part of a larger group, and dive times typically will end with the lowest common denominator on that type of boat. Is this thinking right? To me it makes sense to stick with one type of gas over 4 days of consistent diving.

I know this thread might be out of place here, but given I am asking about one specific dive operation I thought it made sense.

There are a whole lot of shallow reefs in the area, and I mean shallow--like 25-30 feet. You will be given a time to be back on the boat for the sake of the schedule, so if you dive air, you will end those dives with plenty of air in the tank, and you will be nowhere near NDLs. Nitrox would be a waste of money.

Other dives, like the Spiegel Grove, are much deeper, and you will absolutely want nitrox on those dives.

I agree with boulderjohn, planty of dives with RR ended too early even for me that sucks more air. For the shallow dives done there, and the typically shorter dive, Nitrox would be a waste.

Thank you! I think the consensus was to skip it on the shallow dives due to the type of operation RR is. I was just curious as to the benefits whether it was worth the $$. Seems not unless on a deeper dive.

I agree with boulderjohn, planty of dives with RR ended too early even for me that sucks more air. For the shallow dives done there, and the typically shorter dive, Nitrox would be a waste.
where in SC are you?

When we dove with RR, the two dives per outing were only 45 minutes in duration each (captain's rules). There wasn't enough time/depth to even be considering rich mixes.

due to the type of operation RR is
I am not sure what you mean by this. All the operations in the area will be doing the same thing. The area offers lots of shallow reef diving and some very good deeper dives. The local operations go to all of them.

I am not sure what you mean by this. All the operations in the area will be doing the same thing. The area offers lots of shallow reef diving and some very good deeper dives. The local operations go to all of them.
Nothing disparaging, i have dove with RR before and i think they offer really good customer service and flexibility. I just meant large group format etc.

When we dove with RR, the two dives per outing were only 45 minutes in duration each (captain's rules). There wasn't enough time/depth to even be considering rich mixes.
Hi @rhwestfall

I have not been to Key Largo for quite a while. I dived frequently with Ocean Divers before they were purchased by RR. Dive times were an hour. Are you saying bottom time or dive time is 45 minutes with RR?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom