Nitrox with RR Key Largo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only dived CRD thus far in Key Largo and they open the pool for "about an hour" and most of my dives were right at or a few minutes over 60.

No way I'd use an op there that cut such shallow dives that short... that's 25% less diving....

@CajunDiva I've seen at least 4-5 different posters point out the 45min limit from RR, and the first time I saw that it kinda shocked me... what's the secret to getting on the RR boat that always allows the dives to be 60 vs 45?

As far as I know, it's who tells the truth. Because I've always been allowed to dive my dive with Rainbow Reef. I wouldn't dive either if I were limited to 45 minutes.

I dove a full week with RR recently and used Nx for all dives. (That week, most divers used it too. YMMV.)

It may be psychological, but I love how I feel after dives. I'm 64, so that could be a factor. But, I feel more energetic and happy to know that I breathed more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff.

Re: typical %, my log shows 30+/-1% from when we dove with them at the end of 2021.

When we were there it was a hour from the time the pool was open till roll call. No obligation to come up early if you weren't with a group.

Re: typical %, my log shows 30+/-1% from when we dove with them at the end of 2021.

When we were there it was a hour from the time the pool was open till roll call. No obligation to come up early if you weren't with a group.
I typically dive Nitrox for all dives. It is a personal preference. I have never been limited to 45 minutes with RR. That could be something new, but I would guess it has more to do with the group. I typically do one hour dives from their boats.

That's consistent with what I've experienced in my many trips with Rainbow Reef

I dove with Ocean Divers back in 2014. I understand they now run with RR. I also see that RR runs out of OC's old store and dock facilities. OC had Nitrox 32 back then, and their only requirement was to have 500 psi in your tank when you got back on board. NITROX is best on Spiegel Grove and the Duane. I even used it on shallow dives as it did give this old geezer a little more energy. They don't call it "Geezer Gas" for nothing. 😉 Plus, your RNT is reduced dramatically, which is always a plus.

Bottomline, if the finances allow, always go with NITROX.

My last four dives with RR: 57mins, 61mins, 52mins, 59mins. Never felt any “pressure@ to limit them to 45mins. Guess that it depends on the captain. I always use Nitrox just because.

On the nitrox question....I dive with my wife and daughter when down in Largo - daughter not Nitrox so we just dont dive Nitrox to keep our NDL's the same. With RR doesnt bother me, but dang when we go with Captain Tony and we are on the Lionfish at 90 feet I get annoyed.

My experience with RR (and it has been positive just booked with them again in March) - its a pools open to a time that is generally an hour - now how much dive time you get in get in is up to you. I never had a feeling it was a cluster getting in, but rounding up my team normally had us in the back of the pack. I checked logs and every dive was over 45 minutes but was never over 55ish.

Nice to see a fellow SC Spartanburg person on the board.

Homerdoc.

I dove a full week with RR recently and used Nx for all dives. (That week, most divers used it too. YMMV.)

It may be psychological, but I love how I feel after dives. I'm 64, so that could be a factor. But, I feel more energetic and happy to know that I breathed more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff.
Me too, and it matters little how deep I am.

I did not know that, it would be disappointing. Can someone who has dived with them recently comment?
Dove with them in December. Never said 45 mins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom