Noob computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd get certified and do a couple dives before buying a computer. You may find that what you really want changes as you get used to diving. I used to think I wanted a small watch like the d4i. Then I got down into some deeper (and therefore darker) dives and realized the display would be WAY too small. I went with a galileo which has a giant sized display... and found that it still wasn't bright enough. I just switched to shearwter petrel in part because of the bright display.

If you have time before your trip, rent from your local shop once or twice. Especially if you can rent the computer you're thinking of buying.

FWIW, I am a fan of air integration. Very convenient, and it's an extra data point when you download the dive data to your PC. As you have already experienced, not everyone shares my opinion on the topic.

I am trying to stay <$500. I am quickly realizing that watch sized DCs are more expensive, and yes my only reason for that was to not have to pack a watch on vacation. I don't think I will ever do any tech diving, but may eventually move to nitrox. If I am not going with a watch sized computer, I would say the bigger the better then (within reason). Any suggestions around the $400 mark?

Richie, regardless of what computer you choose, you probably should dive with a spare time piece. Any cheap Casio or Timex watch would do and you would not be limited to watch-size computers anymore. The difference in packing a watch when you're considering taking scuba gear on a trip is trivial IMO.

Suggestions, a Suunto Zoop or Vyper. If you can find a used vyper it will be really cheap. I also like the Oceanic VT4.

I just switched to shearwter petrel in part because of the bright display.

You will have to search far and wide before you find someone saying bad things about the Petrel. Great computer, great display, but I guess out of the OPs price range. Also, I agree that you should get certified before you buy anything. You might not even like scuba diving that much!.

FWIW, I am a fan of air integration. Very convenient, and it's an extra data point when you download the dive data to your PC. As you have already experienced, not everyone shares my opinion on the topic.

That's the one thing I really like about WAI, even though I found mine to be unreliable. I'm a data junkie, and I like having pressures in my log book. Oh, well... you can't have everything. (Where would you put it?)

I will say this: Look into the Suunto algorithms. I, personally, will never own a Suunto of any kind because of the algorithm they use. It's weird in all the wrong ways.

My wife has an Oceanic Geo 2.0 and LOVES it. You can get them well within your price range.

As far as wireless Air Integration goes....there are people that like it and people that don't. I, personally, hate it and can't recommend it to anyone...but that's just me.

I definitely plan on doing multiple dives before I decide and purchase anything, just doing research and trying to be proactive. I am limited as far as dive shops go close to myself in Western North Carolina, so renting some of the computer I am interested in isn't an option. I have a suunto dealer fairly close, as well as a mares dealer so I am leaning heavily toward those for maintenance and supporting the local shop reasons.

I switched from a watch style (atom 3.1) to a Petrel after breaking the atom twice. One thing you want to consider that I had not is that the watch sized computers are not constantly backlit.

When doing a night dive or even in horrible viz, you have to hit the backlight to monitor your assent rate and/or countdown timers for safety/deco stops. It is not necessary of course, but it's a pain to drop your power inflator, and hit the light over and over again during ascents. Or even constantly hitting it during safety stops to check on the depth/timer. You don't realize this until you actually start doing night dives. Having something you can easily reference even with your hands full is great.

That said I really do miss air integration. But the ability to extend my diving into tech with the Petrel more than makes up for it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I switched from a watch style (atom 3.1) to a Petrel after breaking the atom twice. One thing you want to consider that I had not is that the watch sized computers are not constantly backlit.

When doing a night dive or even in horrible viz, you have to hit the backlight to monitor your assent rate and/or countdown timers for safety/deco stops. It is not necessary of course, but it's a pain to drop your power inflator, and hit the light over and over again during ascents. Or even constantly hitting it during safety stops to check on the depth/timer. You don't realize this until you actually start doing night dives. Having something you can easily reference even with your hands full is great.

That said I really do miss air integration. But the ability to extend my diving into tech with the Petrel more than makes up for it.

On night dives shining your light on the display works, too.

On night dives shining your light on the display works, too.

Same problem with ascents. My left hand has the power inflator above my head, my computer is on my right wrist. At a stop shining a light works but then you have to drop the light if you need to dump air. Nothing impossible, just annoying.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom