Noob computer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same problem with ascents. My left hand has the power inflator above my head, my computer is on my right wrist. At a stop shining a light works but then you have to drop the light if you need to dump air. Nothing impossible, just annoying.

Fair enough. I guess I just have Shearwater envy.

Try looking into Oceanic Geo 2.0. Good capable computer.

There are some good deals out there on eBay, but make sure the seller is an authorized dealer

I recently got one at substantial discount, brand new with full warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same question 12 years ago. I opted for an Aeris Atmos 2 nitrox capable dive computer for under $300. Still using this "entry level" computer which does everything I need. BTW - I wear it on my right wrist, with an SPG clipped to a D-ring on my BC on the left chest. A wrist mount compass goes on my left wrist when necessary.

Fair enough. I guess I just have Shearwater envy.

My computer offers an option of "push on/push off" for the backlight. When I start an ascent, I "push on" and it stays on throughout my ascent, or until I push the button again.

I bet most LCD computers allow you to program the back-light in a similar way.

My computer offers an option of "push on/push off" for the backlight. When I start an ascent, I "push on" and it stays on throughout my ascent, or until I push the button again.

I bet most LCD computers allow you to program the back-light in a similar way.

That is a nifty feature. I know my Atom 3.1 could not do that. I could change the duration of the backlight, but only to a max of 20 seconds.

What model did you have?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

That is a nifty feature. I know my Atom 3.1 could not do that. I could change the duration of the backlight, but only to a max of 20 seconds.

What model did you have?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
The Uwatec Galileos have that. I use it in conjunction with the "light" display during night diving. I just keep the backlight on for the duration of the dive.

I am trying to stay <$500.

Hold off on buying anything until after cert. Then consider diving just a watch, depth gauge, and tables for a while. Once you're ready for a computer, whether it's in 5 dives or 50 dives, spend the few hundred bucks for a Petrel, which can be had for less than $850 if you find the right dealer. Trying to save $100 or $200 on this stuff is pennywise, pound foolish. Buy once, cry once.

If you're having trouble coming up with the extra cash, find some savings on the BCD by buying a used BP and wing, which will serve you well and only run about $300 or so for a great Halcyon or DSS used rig, less for something less up there in terms of brand name :wink:

Hold off on buying anything until after cert. Then consider diving just a watch, depth gauge, and tables for a while. Once you're ready for a computer, whether it's in 5 dives or 50 dives, spend the few hundred bucks for a Petrel, which can be had for less than $850 if you find the right dealer. Trying to save $100 or $200 on this stuff is pennywise, pound foolish. Buy once, cry once.

If you're having trouble coming up with the extra cash, find some savings on the BCD by buying a used BP and wing, which will serve you well and only run about $300 or so for a great Halcyon or DSS used rig, less for something less up there in terms of brand name :wink:

Great advice, especially since shearwater just released that update for recreational diving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hold off on buying anything until after cert. Then consider diving just a watch, depth gauge, and tables for a while. Once you're ready for a computer, . . . .

Great advice for the disciplined, assertive diver. But I suspect most newly certified divers find themselves on a first dive trip to some laid-back tropical destination where everyone is flying their computer rather than properly planning each dive as they were taught in class. The dive op may look askance at the newly certified diver who explains the absence of a computer by declaring he's diving tables. Now, if the new diver wants to hold his ground and actually use a table to plan his dive, that's commendable. I just suspect the new diver will quickly realize what an uphill battle that can be in such an environment, when the divemaster leading his group shrugs and tells him he doesn't even know what sites they will be diving today, let alone the maximum or average depths, and to just "follow me." A diver who asserts his independence from the divemaster/group and sticks rigidly to his training is to be commended, but realistically how many newly certified divers do that? I've seen divers who were not using computers OR tables just blindly follow divemasters, and I think that's the worst of all worlds.

I believe most newly certified divers who intend to dive in the kind of vacation environment I mentioned should have a computer, whether it's their own or a rented one. If the new diver is diving in a different kind of environment, say, locally with a mentor, that's a different story entirely.

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms as in the endless "computer versus tables" debate or whether it's safe to "fly the computer" rather than "plan your dive and dive your plan." I don't mean to.

I am trying to stay <$500. I am quickly realizing that watch sized DCs are more expensive, and yes my only reason for that was to not have to pack a watch on vacation. I don't think I will ever do any tech diving, but may eventually move to nitrox. If I am not going with a watch sized computer, I would say the bigger the better then (within reason). Any suggestions around the $400 mark?

Different people have different opinions about diving with computers. Mine are a little different. I want to address specifically your desire to have a computer that you can use as your diving skill progresses.

First of all, just about any recreational computer you can buy can do nitrox, so that is not an issue.

Next, in my opinion, there are two classes of computers--recreational and technical. Advanced recreational divers don't really need anything more in a computer than a beginning diver does. You say that you doubt you will ever do technical. Whether you move to technical in the future or not, I do not advise giving that a thought now, because by the time you get to that, the computer market will be totally different. For reasons I won't bother explaining right now, if you do some day go into technical training, you will find that having a recreational computer that can go into gauge mode is a plus. Other than that, it is not something to think about now.

As for recreational computers, ask yourself what features you really need and which features are really just additional features you don't need. For example, you say you are willing to put up with the disadvantages of a watch-sized computer so that you don't have to pack a watch on vacation. I try to limit what I pack on vacation myself, but I have to admit I have never felt the need to pack a watch as being a serious problem to solve. (Maybe your needs are different.) You often hear of recreational divers being pushed to purchase a computer that can do three different mixes of nitrox on one dive. If your retailer starts pushing something like that, ask for a description of a dive in which you will use that feature. Do the same for any additional feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom