Only 1 HP port now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My transmitter is more reliable than my SPG. Never had a single signal loss, and the readings are more accurate.

I would go with a new first stage...only having 1 HP port is pretty crappy. Especially if you go into doubles eventually, you'll need more port options for routing. I would want 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports at a minimum.

Absolute accuracy is not required, reliability is required and just saying something is so does not make it so. The bulk of the experiences indicate a lower reliability for AI devices, being as they require a transmitted signal and reception of that signal and a battery.

There is a common misconception in the lay world wherein there is the belief that having two of something increases reliability by a factor of two whereas in reality it is more likely to increase the chances of a malfunction by some amount, through not necessarily by twice. Regardless of all that, SPG redundancy is not really a requirement or need for no overhead diving. It is instead a complication.

N

BTW, did your computer fail, or just the wireless AI?

It was the computer. This is at home at 5200' elevation and I couldn't get the screen to change at all. It also would go up and down depth and make all kinds of alarms go off.
bd2a54a0cf44dc4f8d8b5a9fdf3a4149.jpg

It's in the shop now for warranty.

I would Ebay the computer, buy a good $200 wrist computer, stop worrying about that one "extra" hose and spend whatever is left over on a couple of dive boats.

So I'm new to all this stuff and my LDS sold me on the Aeris Ion setup. Well its been okay but after my last trip and having my computer fail I want to add a backup gauge.

It was the computer. This is at home at 5200' elevation and I couldn't get the screen to change at all. It also would go up and down depth and make all kinds of alarms go off.

It's in the shop now for warranty.

Okay. But, if you're worried about the actual computer dying, what's the point of a just a backup SPG? Seems like you'd either want a backup computer and backup SPG or not bother.

Well I guess that makes sense but I'm not looking to spend the amount a backup computer would be. Think I'll just keep what I have and bring a backup spg so I can use that if need be for the rest of a trip.

Well I guess that makes sense but I'm not looking to spend the amount a backup computer would be. Think I'll just keep what I have and bring a backup spg so I can use that if need be for the rest of a trip.

It is more important to have a backup for depth and time than to have a backup for your remaining gas.

For example, suppose you are doing a dive to 80', have decided that you will end the dive when you get to 1000psi and your spg fails 20 minutes into the dive. You now have to ascend slowly to 20' and stay their for 3 minutes. Wouldn't it be nice to have a timing device and depth gauge for this? Knowing your air pressure is really not all that important since you know you have enough to do the safety stop and surface (assuming you didn't go below 1000psi before calling the dive).

That being said, keep in mind that your buddy is carrying a backup timing device and depth gauge for you. If your computer fails, then just go up with them and do a safety stop with them.

So, you would dive with an SPG but no computer at all? Because this statement seems to be based on you saying that you are wanting to buy something in case your computer fails again. If your computer dies, you'll lose SPG, depth, NDL timer, and bottom timer. You'd replace all that with just your backup SPG and keep diving?

If you're worried about your computer dying, and your objective is to be able to keep diving during your next trip, then I'd say your choices are:

- plan on renting a backup reg set (with computer/gauge console)

- buy a gauge console that has SPG, Depth, and bottom timer and be prepared to swap that onto your reg and then dive based on tables

- buy a backup computer (either, with AI, or also buy a backup SPG)

Or.... I guess you can proceed as you described and just dive with an SPG. I guess if you're only diving in pretty shallow water, you could probably get away with that. Or you can rely on your buddy and his/her computer for depth and NDL times. But, I personally wouldn't do it.

How will you determine depth and dive time with a spg?

Sorry like I said I'm kind of new to this stuff. Anyway I am buying a gauge combo with depth and pressure. I always bring a watch on vacation so I can use that if need be. This way if the computer dies again I can still dive my own gear

OP -- don't listen to the Neanderthals who pooh-pooh AI computers -- especially wrist mount ones! :wink:

I dive (even cave dive!) with my wrist mount AI computer -- but also have my "primary" SPG (which, in fact, is a Suunto Cobra!) hooked to my HP hose. Most of my first stages have 2 HP ports so having the hose in one and the transmitter in the other isn't a big deal -- but I also (sometimes) use an older first stage that has only one HP port and then, YES, I use a splitter like linked above and put the transmitter in one hole and the HP hose in another.

Every once in a while my wrist computer doesn't sync and then it is "just a computer" but I ALWAYS have my "primary" SPG -- but I really enjoy having my pressure showing up on my wrist (cause I'm lazy!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom