Open Water Courses and the Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, good question o2scuba.

I was wondering the same thing.

There is no getting away from it - to be a safe diver you have to be comfortable both on the surface and below. Whilst swimming might not be the best test of this it's the only one I can think of.

jepuskar's suggestion re. sorkelling is a good one.

I usually find it's a breathing thing( rather than fittness) with swimming. 9 out of 10 times this will improve dramatically with a bit of practice - and I do only mean a bit.

good luck and advise about the 10lb thing

Blue

The Master Chief was referring to hard hat diving.

A non swimmer is more likely to panic in an emergency.

Is it possible for a non swimmer to complete a PADI certification course? Yes. PADI headquarters doesn't like to admit it, but it is true. Is is a good idea? No!

Thanks June, I'm glad you're there to help.

The agency that Freefloat is training with is not PADI. She told me which one, but I'm not 100% sure -- I believe NAUI, she'll have to confirm that.

I've asked to be allowed to come out and take pics on her OW check out dives. Before I'm allowed, the instructor is going to ensure I have the necessary dive skills. So this weekend while I'm visiting I'll be getting my check out dive. I'm supposed hit bottom, stir up the s***t and bump into everything right? :D

Walter once bubbled...
Postpone your dive class. Take swimming lessons. Come back and learn to dive after you can swim.
Dear Walter,
You may lack a certain degree of tact, but your recommendation is the correct one.
E.

... a wt. to be retrieved from the deep end of the pool as part of their swim-test standard. That skill, along with a 50' u/w swim, distance swim & treading water / drownproofing must be completed prior to going to o/w.

If I have a student with marginal swimming ability I will allow them to participate in confined water activities with the caveat that they must hit the pool several times per week to bring their swimming up to standard. I also make it clear to them they will not be eligible for o/w cert. until they meet the swimming standard.

D.S.D.

Walter once bubbled...
The Master Chief was referring to hard hat diving.

A non swimmer is more likely to panic in an emergency.

Is it possible for a non swimmer to complete a PADI certification course? Yes. PADI headquarters doesn't like to admit it, but it is true. Is is a good idea? No!

Thanks June, I'm glad you're there to help.

I'm sure you have a lot more experience on non/poor swimmers being more likely to panic than strong swimmers but so far my experiences, in scuba, have been to the reverse. The ones I've seen panic are the stronger swimmers, the weaker swimmers seem to be more buddy dependent and ask for help when needed.

Freefloat said she could swim some lengths of the pool, just not all of them.A number of agencies allow for snorkeling 300 yards instead of 200 yard swims.

As far as the 10 minute tread goes. I believe it is a 10 minute tread/float. At least that is SSI's definition. Does NAUI require a full tread or is floating allowed. I'm just assuming NAUI since DivingGal's post suggested it.

Good call deepseadan.

Students really have got to be pretty awful swimmers not to pass the padi test.
On review of my own recent teaching I think I'm guilty of not emphasising the importance of this aspect.

tough luck guys, my class has just become more challenging !

Swimming before and after the class is a good idea too - so long as there is time.

Thx

Blue

...There are a multitude of factors influencing a diver's pre-disposition to panic - swimming ability being one part of that picture. The issue here is whether adequate watermanship skills are a necessary prerequisite to entry level scuba diving. Again, on the whole / on average, the competent swimmer demonstrates a higher degree of comfort in the water than the poor-to-non-swimmer. That being said, it is logical to require a minimum standard of watermanship of your prospective divers as a means of reducing the risk to the student.

Simply put, those who spend more time in the water feel more at home in the water.

As to the point that strong swimmers tend to panic more so than weak swimmers is simplifying the complexity of the panic response. A myriad of factors, both chronic & transient, can affect an individual's susceptibility to panic on any given day.

What we want to do is eliminate as many of these factors as possible to reduce risk to the diver.

Having adequate swimming skills prior to becoming a diver is one way to do just that.

D.S.D.

I understand that there may be a time component that is not mentioned, so there may be some urgency in getting certified in a timely fashion.

Having said that, getting certified is nothing to sneeze at. Don't confine yourself to a schedule. Let your skills and comfort level dictate the progress of your training.

I find that novice divers like myself, tend to overestimate their abilities. For example, I've been swimming for over 20 years, so I never thought that I needed to take a swimming class. I am taking a swimming class at the YMCA with my non-swimming girlfriend. I am finding a noticable improvement in my diving skills. Funny how good technique can make a huge difference!

Best,
HanTzu

that swimming or lack there off has very little to do with my comfort in the water.

It has only been an issue for me recently because of my requirements to obtain my DM cert..

I also knew a diver who proclaimed she was excellent in the water.....thats until she put on scuba gear and was uncomfortable in the water....a couple panicked situations with her and she didnt mention much about being good in the water anymore.

I think it is a excellent skill to obtain, but not necessary to scuba dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom