Open Water Dives were today, and I Failed, yet passed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Will:

I'm sorry to read that you didn't do well. I know you're upset but don't let it get to you.

It sounds to me like you shouldn't have gone for the dives. A cold can be serious. I can barely breathe through my nose at all when I get a cold, I don't think I could clear a mask.

I live in Vancouver, WA so I know what you mean about the cold. I'm planning on doing my OW dives in a drysuit. There's no reason to be miserable. Though I'm told by a couple of diving friends I have that on that first dive, I'll probably be too excited to notice the cold.

Give yourself a few days to think over your experence. Get yourself well, and try again if you want.

After you're feeling better it might be a good idea to go to the pool and practice mask clearing until you're more comfortable with it.

You did great on the rest of the skills (From what I've read.). I'm sure you'll get through this with some work and reassurance.

Mask clearing can be one of the most difficult tasks to get comfortable with. And stay comfortable with.There are a lot of divers [myself included] who had to work to get comfortable with that.we may or may not have had quite as much trouble as you did though. when you get this whipped you will be a much better diver as a result.
joens

Will,

A couple of things. When you do try it again, do it without a cold or congestion as was mentioned previously. It makes all the difference in the world.

Also, being cold can effect everything you do underwater because your mind is now on trying to stay warm. The problem is, if you do your dives 3&4 in warm water, you're really not testing your skill base in the environment in which you live/dive. I actually considered taking the DIRF class in Florida because of the warm water and no need for hood and gloves. But I realized that the only one being fooled was me. If I needed these skills in ice cold water where I dive, I wanted to make sure that I was proficient in them.

Lastly, I dive almost every week in water ranging from the 70's in the summer to the high 30's in the winter. On every dive we do a mask flood and mask removal drill. I am very comfortable with it until the temps get into the mid to low 40's. Short breaths-skip breathing. Accelerated heartbeat. Buildup of CO2 which makes everything that much worse. You response seems to be similar. One thing that has helped-slightly anyway-is to stick your face in the water at the surface without a mask. It seems to somewhat prepare your body's reaction to the cold water. It's not absolute, but it does help. Also, do a mask clear and removal on every dive with a buddy. It does get better with time and practice.

Hang it there!!

Jack

Do not dive again until the water heats up or if you go to warmer waters.

Since you are SHIVERING .. there is no reason why u are still in the water.

Do the referral dive somewhere warm and preferably in the ocean where you can see more than mud and crawfish.

The cold water, the sinus, the shivering and the whole "envirnoment" certaintly contributed to your problem.

you are already 1/2 way there !!!!

raxafarian once bubbled...
I feel like I'm facing into a hurricane and can't take a breath everytime I remove my mask (or completely flood it), and the colder the water is, the worse that feeling. Don't know if that explains it, but it just feels like "hey... I want to take a breath... I just can't.

100 dives later and it still feels the same way. I still practice every few dives. I know how it's gonna feel, and just relax and take my time and take deep breaths. I first felt it on my first ow class (46 deg. water). It seems like a long time to be able to take a breath, but it was probably only 3-5 seconds.

Don't know if this is how you felt, but just wanted to share.

I simple solution to help you clear your mask.

when you are in the water all geared up yet prior to descending.
remove your mask and place your reg in your mouth, now place your face in the water.
keep your face in the water the colder it is the better. you will emediatly feel the effects known as the mamallion refflex.

this is that feeling that you described above. now once you have had your face in the water for up to five minutes. you will significantly reduce the effects of this reflex.

now when you are under water and it is time to do your mask removal. do this.
1-take three deep breaths
2-fill mask with water yet leave it on your face, take three deep breaths
3-remove your mask take three deep breaths and replace mask, leaving full of water
4-once the mask is in place take three deep breaths
5-clear mask and take a deep breath you are done

this will work...go slow...take your time....it will work

Obviously from reading the board you see that mask clearing/removal/replacement is one of the most frequent issues. Coupled with congestion, cold water and shivering? No wonder! You have up to 1 year to complete the OW water segment of the certification (through PADI). Obviously do't wait that long, take refresher and pool time before hand, but get the cert.
As AquaTech mentioned, the face in the cold water trick is a good way to help your body acclimate and help calm you. There is an entire thread out here somewhere on it...
As for the sites, yeah, mud and crawfish may not be that interesting, but once you are certified, a whole new world becomes available, sometimes it feels like swimmin' in an fishtank it is so beautiful. I feel privileged to be allowed to venture into that world. And yeah, sometimes the dive just is. But dives are what you make of it (like last weekend when viz was 10 feet, it was the perfect time to put those navigation skills into practice to test myself).
Keep us informed on your progress and please post the article they write about you!

Well,

Today I went to my doctor (also a diver) and got checked out and we talked. Turns out I do have some mild bronchitis (strike one) and the reminants of my cold (strike 2) and my left ear has a minor ear infection (geeze I'm messed up :wink:)

Also went and talked to the LDS owner, who wanted and did call my instructor, and then I talked to my instructor.

Long story short, this thrusday if I'm feeling better my instructor is going to let me get in the pool while hes doing the discover scuba and let me work on the mask stuff, and practice and get my mind back to the, yeah I can do this, its easy state.

Also the LDS is going to try and hook me up with a dry suit (sounded like a no charge deal, they were willing to take over for my instructor if need be and get me certified for it sounded like free :D) So my instructor and I are going to do a bunch more pool sessions to get me proficient in using the dry suit, after which him and I will go do dives 3 and 4 alone, just him and me and get thru them.

So all is becoming well. I was ready to give up after the dives Saturday, but after a day to think about it and reflect, and then with all the encouragement and suggestions I really wanted to go finish.

Also a bonus for me (I'm apprantly a pretty good diver for a newbie) my instructor NEVER knew I was haivng trouble. I never showed it, him and his DM's never knew I was having a hard time except when I told him, and even then he couldn't see it. He was surprised on OW dive 2 when I wanted to go up as most students would have already bolted long before then. I was able to stay in control and know my limit and know when I had to go up, signal it, and be in control as we came up together. He never knew I was having difficulty, he also said it really surprised him being as I never showed any trouble, and that I was one of the best students in the pool. Now we know whats going on, we have a plan (including dry suit to help) and also the LDS has offered to lend some other masks if need be (including a purge) so I can see if one of them makes it easier (knowing its easier may help me get through it better, that old mental thing) and if one works better for me, they will take my mask I have now back in exchange for a new one (such great guys) they are also going to let us come down and use thier pool sessions for working on this, etc.

So before the year is up I should be through this, and all certified up. I certainly will show/link the article if/when it is all said and done.

That's fantastic news. I'm glad your LDS and instructor are willing to help you out.

I hope you get well soon.

I hate to say it and even though the idea of scuba thrills me to no end, reading these posts scares the heck out of me. I will be going for PADI in January and have been practicing in a pool to get ready, but reading these posts makes me wonder. I don't think getting into this thread was a good idea. By the way I am sorry for your experience, I am sure it is a horrible feeling. :confused:

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
I hate to say it and even though the idea of scuba thrills me to no end, reading these posts scares the heck out of me. I will be going for PADI in January and have been practicing in a pool to get ready, but reading these posts makes me wonder. I don't think getting into this thread was a good idea. By the way I am sorry for your experience, I am sure it is a horrible feeling. :confused:

Don't get scared off. I'd hate to be responsible for scaring someone off. Trust me it's not as bad as it sounds to do a mask clear. It is however one of the skills that many people have problems with. My very first time I did it I had reas some posts here where people had problems doing it. It was good because going to do the skill I had some fore knowladge of what has happened to other people and could keep it from happening to me, or if it did I knew what was going on. The first and many times after I had no problems. It was only after having a cold that the problems arose. As it turns out my instructor says when I had the "problems" in the pool and such I was doing fine. The problem mainly was my cold, and because of the cold I couldn't feel the air comming from my nose. Other problems of course arose. My suggestion would be keep going, but when you get to the mask part, remember what has happened to others (find and read the other posts) and you will be ready for all the possible reactions you MAY have. You might also have no problems what so ever. Either way, any time your instructor says you have "free time" to play around, I would recommend 2 skills. Boyancy and mask clearing, whether it be partial, full or mask removal replacement. Even if you feel you can do it. Keep doing it. Maybe one time you will have a problem or maybe you will never have a problem. Either way you will be really good at it when the time comes. I had a LOT of things going against me. Cold water, being cold, having a cold, bronchitis, and an ear infection. Had I known all this was going on (in other words seen the doctor before the dives) I would have never gone to the dives and re-scheduled for when I wasn't sick.

Good luck, and don't give it up if its something you want to do. God try it and find out. If nothing you will be like me and come out better and stronger on the other end, knowing that you are a better diver because of it. :wink: Like I said previously even though I had problems, due to knowing what might happen, etc. I came out a better diver. My instructor never knew I was having problems because of the restraint and control I was excercising. He had never had a student have such a problem and not show it. Which is good, if you can be in as bad a place as I felt I was at the time and remain in control you are doing great. I know now that not only can I keep myself under control and out of trouble in a horrible situation, but I can work on it, and when all else fails and I know I can't resolve it that I can still communicate and safetly ascend (with the help of a buddy/instructor)

Back
Top Bottom