Orca Skinny Dipper Markll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vince

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Orca Skinny Dipper Markll and cannot find batteries for it. I love the unit & use it as a backup. I have been told that some owners of the unit have been able to find individual 3V powercells as opposed to the packet of batteries that was originally used. Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks

Hi Vince,
First, welcome to the Board, from NJ!

Regarding your question, I also have a Mark II, love it, and also use it as a backup computer. The batteries are hard to find. Here are a few suggestions- maybe ones you have already tried-but you never know.

1) Your LDS-mine sometimes has them, sometimes doesn't. You/or they could also "call around " to other shops. Do any "newer " computers use the same batteries (e.g. Phoenix??)

2.) A camera /photo supply store. I remember finding the batteries at such a shop-it seems some camera/strobe/whatever used the same batteries.(long ago)

3.) Contact "Orca industries"-they probably have a web site now. Here is a phone #: 215-268-3164, and address
10 Airport Way
Toughkenamon, PA, 19374

(Note: Both are from the MKII manual copyright 1986,1987-so the info could be outdated.)

Please let me know how your search turns out- I'll be needing some batteries soon,too!!!

Good Luck,
MikeD

and I get the batteries from a battery store (Batteries Plus) here in town. It uses 3 Sanyo CR14250SE (3 volt) batteries. He loves it, as it is simple and easy to see. Glad I checked it too... seems he left the unit on and will need additional batteries... Oh Soooonn... Please come heeerrreee...

FYI, I was told by 3 LDS's that Orca was out of business. Also tried to call the number in the owners manual, it was disconnected. I will give Batteries.com a try on the Sanyo CR14250SE (3 volt) that Pete suggested (thanks Pete) & let you know how I make out. This is a great site. Thanks for the help. :clapping: :clapping:

Pete,
Could you please check on that battery number. I can't seem to locate it at any of the online battery distributers using the numbers in your post.

Thanks

If memory serves, the Skinny Dipper battery was actually 3 batteries that were specially packaged for them in a single shrink wrapped unit. I used that or 3 Varta batteries of the proper (total) voltage.

The suggestion about going to Batteries Plus is a very good one. If they don't have the exact configuration you need, they will BUILD you an identical unit for a fraction of what the OEM charges.

Example: we have a Sea & Sea strobe that needed a new rechargable battery pack. Well, S&S wanted the preverbial 2-arms-&-a-leg for the bloody thing. We took the original pack into Batteries Plus and they BUILT us the exact same pack for about 20% of what S&S wanted for theirs!

The other good place is Radio Shack; if they don't have a particular battery, they can cross-reference it with something THEY actually carry.

Good luck!

~SubMariner~

These are all the same size, but you would need to check the voltage...

Eveready 544, Duracell PX28L, Kodak K28A & KS28, Panasonic CR14250, Saft LCP3, Electrochem 3B955, Maxell 4LR44, Sanyo CR14250SE

http://www.evssupply.com/batteries-online.asp

and type in cr14250se. They are $9.90 each... and my Skinny Dipper takes three! I think they were cheaper from Batteries Plus. I would call them to get the price. Their URL is;

http://www.batteriesplus.com

and although they did not list that battery, they have a dealer locater that might give you an angle for tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom