Pack so light you come home with less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I could bring myself to do the clothing thing! I do stick with a pared down set of clothes and tend to pack mostly the same set all the time, but they're favorites. If I'm willing to toss something, I don't want to wear it on vacation to begin with! (There may be a guy/girl difference here. :wink: )
Oh, I dress so casually anyway, that I wouldn't want to wear what I consider throw aways on vacation. I used to take one-way towels, but now have a chamey that goes round-trip. I will leave my used batteries with the last DM and my coffee maker with the last maid.
The only problem with this idea is that many dive destinations are in places that do not have the best garbage disposal. So while you get to rid of your crap, it becomes a problem for the locals. So instance, the crap left in the Keys has to be trucked a fair distance for disposal. As others have mentioned, if you wan to leave clothing and other items that still have reasonable life for the locals then that is a bit different. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the idea here.
Very good point indeed.

Hopefully you're driving there & not flying-----I think there is a restriction on flying nekked.........:)

Hopefully you're driving there & not flying-----I think there is a restriction on flying nekked.........:)
I thot it'd get you thru security faster?
[c]

[/c]

I thot it'd get you thru security faster?
[c]

[/c]

:rofl3: I just love foreign advertising! We're such prudes in this country.

The only problem... do not have the best garbage disposal.... it becomes a problem for the locals. So instance, the crap left in the Keys has to be trucked a fair distance for disposal.

Anywhere South of the keys, they get rid of it (predominately) in one way. They load the non-floating stuff onto barges and dump it in 3,000 feet. In the Indian Ocean (and other places where such deep dumps are not a governmental institutionalized service) often you see it within SCUBA depth- or along the shoreline.

So far, it seems inefficient (read: not profitable) for Caribbean nations to sub-sort aluminum and ship it to FL, TX or LA while deadheading otherwise empty cargo containers Northward.

The dumps on Caribbean islands are living, breathing organisms, not the least reason being that they are actually lived-in by specific family groups that scavenge their existence from them.

In exchange, they separate out the heavy, sinkable stuff. Your "used but usable" batteries, cyalume sticks, plastic packaging, etc. They add their own island expendables to the heap which include things like batteries and junk car parts from the Taxis for tourists, and... you get the idea.

Take your garbage home. Give your new friends fresh batteries, and whatever else. Just don't substitute it for cash. Surprising to many- but most Caribbean island people do not need donations of clothing. They are fairly well clothed by missionary church supply lines. But a Hiphop T-Shirt or a NBA Jersey- there you got something!

After reading all of the previous posts, it's obvious that there's a perfect solution:

Only pack one or two shirts for the trip, which leaves plenty of room to bring quality items to donate once arriving at your location. Then you'll have plenty of room in your suitcase on the way home and you can shop and buy all kinds of fun souvenirs which will also help the local economy...it's a win/win!

Yeah, if I can take 150-200 pounds down there (2-70# checked bags, 1-40# roll-on, and 1-20# backpack), I can bring 200 back. I'll just leave the working coffee pot for the last maid. Thanks RTB for another wake up. :thumb:

After reading all of the previous posts, it's obvious that there's a perfect solution:

Only pack one or two shirts for the trip, which leaves plenty of room to bring quality items to donate once arriving at your location. Then you'll have plenty of room in your suitcase on the way home and you can shop and buy all kinds of fun souvenirs which will also help the local economy...it's a win/win!

Our travel strategy, whether a dive trip or not, is to One-Bag to the extent possible.

Leisure and Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light with One Bag!

We modify it for diving, of course. I check most of my dive gear, which usually weighs in around 37 lbs. My carry-on contains all my clothes for the week (lightweight synthetics), flip-flops, my regs (in a reg bag), mask, dive computer, a couple books, travel towel, and toiletries. This way, if my checked bag is lost or delayed, I have everything I need with me to enjoy my vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom