PADI Advanced Open Water Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that to say that when I do my AOW this summer (that's the plan, anyway) that there's going to be an eRDPml in the crew pack or that I'll be expected to buy one because my eRDP won't be good enough anymore even if multilevel is NOT one of the dives my LDS does during the course?

You should still have your PADI RDP table. You just need one of them, the RDP, the eRDP, the eRDPml, the Wheel (which as was pointed out they are getting rid of). It doesn't matter which one, so long as you have one to use for planning your dives.

The Wheel and eRDP are no longer in use. You will use the RDP or eRDPml.

Consider The Wheel and eRDP as museum pieces.

Did they not bring in the eRDP to replace the RDP and now they're going back again? Should I be disturbed then that the padi ow class I did in august '08 didn't teach tables because there was an eRDP in the crew pack instead of tables. I've learned to use them so the ones printed in the beginning of my logbook aren't a waste of paper, but I'm not sure I can say the same thing for my buddy, who did the class with me.

it would be a good idea to get your instructor to show you how to use the PADI nav-finder as part of the course; you may find it a useful tool in the future for mapping projects.

Did they not bring in the eRDP to replace the RDP and now they're going back again? Should I be disturbed then that the padi ow class I did in august '08 didn't teach tables because there was an eRDP in the crew pack instead of tables. I've learned to use them so the ones printed in the beginning of my logbook aren't a waste of paper, but I'm not sure I can say the same thing for my buddy, who did the class with me.

Your eRDP will still work fine (with a good battery :D). It will still provide you with the same dive planning information as the RDP.

Did they not bring in the eRDP to replace the RDP and now they're going back again?

No. The eRDP was never intended to be a replacement for the RDP table, only as an optional dive planning tool. It is up to the Instructor conducting the class which dive planning tool they wish to teach with: RDP table, eRDP, The Wheel.

PADI has eliminated the eRDP and The Wheel, folding The Wheel into the eRDP with a new device, the eRDPml that combined the eRDP with multi-level abilities of The Wheel.

Now there are only two choices: RDP table and eRDPml.

If you were trained to use the eRDP, then learning to use the additional multi-level features of the eRDPml is very simple and intuitive.

Your eRDP will still work, as will The Wheel (if you have one). Purchasing and using the new eRDPml is completely up to you.

Going forward, as of 1/1/09, all new classes will only have the RDP or eRDPml available for use as dive planning tools. Aspiring PADI Dive Pros will need to be proficient in both.

Joe, You've helped me before with my DM questions. From what I gather on various posts, The Wheel is still a must know for the DM course. Has this changed?--what about this eRDPml? I never had an eRDP, just know the RDP tables and the nitrox tables. Also, it sounds like DM candidates do a lot with the nitrox tables--Is this something someone without Enriched Air Cert. must learn?

Last edited:
Joe, You've helped me before with my DM questions. From what I gather on various posts, The Wheel is still a must know for the DM course. Has this changed?--what about this eRDPml? I never had an eRDP, just know the RDP tables and the nitrox tables. Also, it sounds like DM candidates do a lot with the nitrox tables--Is this something someone without Enriched Air Cert. must learn?

The Wheel and eRDp are museum pieces as far as PADI is concerned. They are still usable by divers of course, but as of 1/1/09 they are not part of the curriculum. You no longer need to know or even own The Wheel or eRDP. You must know the eRDPml as a Divemaster and own one if you're going on to IDC/IE. If your dive center or Instructor is telling you something else please feel free to refer them to me. I will provide my email to you via PM if it is necessary.

There is nothing whatsoever in the DM course that concerns the EANx32, EANx36, DSAT EAD or O2 Exposure tables or their use. EANx is not a pre-requisite to DM nor is it required for certification.

Thanks again Joe.

a little update for 2009

Page 1-6 Under Instructor Materials and Student Diver Materials, changed The Wheel (pardon me while I stand up and applaud) to eRDPML, deleted eRDP

True, but as per the 1st quarter training bulletin, "Standards changes listed may be put into effect immediately, and must be implemented in PADI courses and programs as of 1 August 2009." So, at this point in time, you may still find instructors using the wheel or eRDP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom