Personal Responsibilty in dive accident while subcontracted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuck_downunder05

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm curious to learn about the percussions of a dive accident if I have my own company and am sub contracted out by a dive shop.

Just curious as most instuctors in Thailand freelance and I am looking into the whole process of creating a company in order to get a work permit. Any tips?

Thanks,
Carissa

Here in Thailand instructors do not need to carry personal liability insurance (though I and a number of others do anyway). Recourse to negligence claims here is not as transparent as in some other parts of the world. When a company registers with the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the company is required to have a minimum level of insurance issued by a Thai insurance company (I use a local agency underwritten by AIG), but not all companies register with the TAT. Right now dive industry registration requirements are under discussion, so things may change.

At any rate, make sure to get your divers' signatures on the releases, as that is your first line of defence in case you find yourself in difficulty.

Yes I have personal liability insurance. Just the idea of creating my own business had me question some things.

Thanks. I've contacted the company I go through and got things figured out in terms of personal coverage along with coverage while working

Before you spend time doing anything else you need to know the law in Thailand. Such laws vary widely

Back
Top Bottom