Ranger Vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mathematical

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, but I have having some doubts that I may want a BPW. What would be the main benefits of a BPW? I do not ever plan to go into tech diving.

You want all of them or the short list?
Here's the short list
1. Cheaper-Ranger is $780, the Deep Sea Supply rigs are the best on the market, made in Pasadena CA and are under $500 without tax-this is not including the cost to replace anything that may break or wear out over time
2. dries faster-rangers hold a lot of water so they take a while to dry
3. lighter *2 fold, they are lighter on land, and since they are typically 6lbs negative, you have a roughly 7lb overall weight advantage*
4. more stable in water

There's the first 4. For the record, we train our students from day 1 in bpw's, they see jackets for the first time at their OWT in rental gear and they all balk at them, Zeagle Rangers and others from that line are included in the list....

bpw packs not just lighter but smaller, vents better and is more streamlined under water (ranger air cell is way more than anyone needs for single tank diving), trims better for most if not all, better resale value, perfect adjustable fit...

Ah. It looks like I will get a BPW instead. Thanks for the advice.

I started single tank diving with Aqualung and Zeagle Ranger Bcd's seventeen years ago before switching to BP/W for both interchangeable/modularized single and doubles/tech diving.

I've come full circle now: should've kept the Zeagle Ranger with integrated weights for dedicated single tank recreational diving. Quicker, easier & more convenient to set-up and tank is more snug; better trim & stability at depth than a BP/W with a weighted single-tank-adapter. . .

(I now use a Halcyon Traveler Pro BCD for single cylinder diving, and the BP/W only for doubles).

While I prefer the bpw, my wife and kids are in your camp and prefer a traditional BC because they find it quicker and more convenient to set up. That being said, they dive bpw anyway because it travels much better.
Personally, if I were to dive a BC the Ranger would be very low on the list. The thing is huge. Who needs all that lift for single tank diving? I'd go with something like your Halcyon Traveler or the competing Dive Rite model.

Back
Top Bottom