Ranger Vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too, got a ranger based on the opinion of others. Made me rethink everything...
A simple webbing harness fits/feels so much better. I much prefer to sidemount the bottles for the sake of freedom and safety but that's just me. A BP/bm and a pony in sm would be streamlined...

Hell, an 80 disappears when I sling it. Most recreational divers would be adequately served by a 13 or a 19 pony and they could even fly to dive locations if wanted.

So you think that he shouldn't sling a 40?

A slung 30 would be more than plenty for any recreational profile.
A BP/W is the simplest and least expensive overall option when it comes to BC's, both short term and long term.

Is the Halcyon cinch system still difficult to get snug?

why does it need to be snug? There are 4 total straps on a bp/w, l/r shoulder, waist, crotch. The waist and crotch should be snug *crotch not uncomfortably snug, but not loose*, and the shoulders should be quite loose. To the point that a full fist goes underneath them. Part of the beauty of a bp/w is once it is set up for you in your exposure protection, there is 0 need to adjust it unless you change said exposure protection. That then is as easy as loosening or tightening the shoulder straps a half inch or so. The cinch system, the DSS equivalent etc make it easier for dive shops to adjust the straps if they use them for rental gear, but for personal gear, unless you are going between say a t-shirt and a thick drysuit, there shouldn't be any need to adjust them. The DSS with the rubber grommets makes adjustment significantly easier than most other rigs though. Not something you can do in the water, but since the radius is a lot larger than normal plates, the webbing is easier to adjust on land

I just purchased a Zeagle Ranger, but I have having some doubts that I may want a BPW. What would be the main benefits of a BPW?
One additional benefit of a BP/W over a Ranger for the recreational, single cylinder diver is weight / buoyancy. The Ranger is rather positively buoyant which, for many divers, adds to their lead requirement. Particularly when diving in colder, salt water, where the exposure suit and water characteristics already mandate a considerable amount of added lead, using a 'floaty' BCD like the Ranger merely exacerbates that situation.

My original BCD was a Ranger. I still have it 15 years later. But, I moved to a BP/W years ago, for single cylinder recreational diving, and haven't come full circle, so the Ranger sits in my closet, mainly for historical reference, as much as anything. It is a well-made BCD, it fits me well. I simply prefer to add as little weight as possible. Plus, for me at least, the Ranger's integrated weight pockets put most of the added weight exactly where I don't want it to be - 'below' my thorax (i.e. not aligned with my center of lift) and 'in front' of my vertical midline viewed from the side (coronal plane).
Would the choice between a BPW or Zeagle change if I plan to get a 40 cu ft pony tank?
Not really. My first pony bottle was a 40cf unit, I dove it with my Ranger with no problems. I dive it with my BP/W rigs with no problems. Now, I do find that i can streamline it a bit easier with my BP, simply because I can adjust the position of the chest and hip D-rings, which I cannot do with the Ranger.

The Ranger is a great BCD - rugged, comfortable, etc. I much prefer the buoyancy characteristics (and simplicity and modularity) of my (stainless steel) BP.

Eventually, parts of your setup will wear out. With a backplate and wing, you can replace just those parts. For instance, I just replaced the webbing on my backplate—after 14 years. Of course, the backplate itself will never wear out.

The difference in time to set up is nominal. How long does it take to screw on two wingnuts (which you can do in advance anyway)? The rest is identical.

But make sure you get an aluminum backplate. If you need weight, add it at your destination. If you find the harness less snug, as described in a prior post, adjust it. I used to keep my shoulder straps tight; but then I realized that with a snug waist strap, it hardly matters, because when you're horizontal, the whole thing just sits in your back.

By the way, here's a nice trick to avoid having to readjust the straps when you change exposure protection: Get one of those backplate covers with a pouch (between the backplate and you) for holding an SMB. When you have thinner exposure protection, shove something (I use an SMB, but you can use a small part of a folded tarp) in the pouch. Presto, it'll be more snug.

i disagree with having to go to an aluminum backplate, especially for single tank diving in California, you'll always need the ballast from the steel plate.

WRT the wing nuts, the DSS rigs don't require an STA and have a very brilliant design that doesn't require anything to be done to the cam bands to remove the wing.

On a crowded SoCal cattle boat, you will need every inch that an adjustable BCD or Cinch harness provides in order to mount up & d'on your kit, especially in a thick wetsuit or drysuit.

A BP/W is a stable rigid platform for doubles backmount diving which it does very well; but to modularize it for single tank diving, you will have to purchase cam bands, a single tank adapter as needed, and additional weight integration system if you don't want the hassle of a lead weight belt under it all. A single tank attachment & placement on a BP/W can be a "kludgey" compromise to make it fit well & be stable at depth.

Go to a dive shop with a selection of BP/W, and bring your Zeagle Ranger bcd along as well: see what works well for you for dedicated single tank diving in terms of the above and general ease, convenience and economy.

Last edited:
On a crowded SoCal cattle boat, you will need every inch that an adjustable BCD or Cinch harness provides in order to mount up & d'on your kit, especially in a thick wetsuit or drysuit.

A BP/W is a stable rigid platform for doubles backmount diving which it does very well; but to modularize it for single tank diving, you will have to purchase cam bands, a single tank adapter as needed, and additional weight integration system if you don't want the hassle of a lead weight belt under it all. A single tank attachment & placement on a BP/W can be a "kludgey" compromise to make it fit well & be stable at depth.

Go to a dive shop with a selection of BP/W, and bring your Zeagle Ranger bcd along as well: see what works well for you for dedicated single tank diving in terms of the above and general ease, convenience and economy.
I have no problem donning my BP/W on a SoCal dive boat and that is without that hideously engineered H cinch system. I am also not sure what is kludgy about diving a BP/W using a single tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom