Recommendations For Pony Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I run HOG D2's w/Classic seconds on my stage/pony/deco bottles. All DIN and all sealed. Like I said, if I have to bail out to it I want a reg that performs just as well as my primary.
Having all the same seconds makes servicing easier and I don't mind needing a different kit for the 1st.
The D1's, D2's, and D3's all use their own kit.

For pony, I will choose something like SP MK-2. Simple operations, very reliable even neglected and inexpansive. For 2nd stage, HOG classic. Again, simple, proven reliable, inexpansive.

Persoanlly, I am not a big fan of Hollis reg in general. Their 2nd stage is just low quality. Miflex isn't the best for a possible neglected usage. Further $239 is a no deal for Hollis. You can easily get a MK2+HOG classic.

I take a slightly different route with our pony regs. Small, light. The AL Mikrons. LP had it in DIN recently for 259 I think. But any of the quality travel regs would serve the same purpose. New or used if you can find a good deal.

And I also like a second with an breathing effort adjustment option to detune until needed.

If you work at it, for about $100, you could do an SP MK-2 and a 109/156 of e-***...... Maintenance is all aftermarket kits from places like VDH.... These are so simple...

LOL! I guess you guys like to spend money needlessly, assuming that the more you spend the better something is?
Come on, the pony reg has to be good enough, it does not have to be the best you can find. Switching to the pony should not be a near-death exercise....you are NOT out of gas! Yeah, I'm like you, I use bullet-proof Dive Rite regs for all my usual regs, including stages, but if the reg I put on my pony is good enough to get me to the surface, what is the problem? Hey, I use an old but maintained Oceanic unbalanced piston for my O2 reg; am I gonna die?

I bought the Dive Rite O2 reg last year and it breathes very nicely although I have not used it deeper than 6M as I use it exclusively on my O2 deco bottle. I have Mares MR22 and 42 first stages with Abyss and Proton second stages for my stage bottles and they work very well. The Proton is a nice small regulator as is the Aqualung Micra.

I agree with the people mentioning SP especially a MK2. I bought one several years ago for $50 and serviced it so I was in it for about $85. It is a great breathing reg! Nothing wrong with regs others have mentioned either. You can really find some good deals out there on SP every now and again. I picked up 2 MK17s/G250s and a MK11/S550 several months ago for $300 all in. You can get lucky sometimes!

I would get a hog d1 - idk I have like 10 of them and they are great. Honestly I would get whatever reg you have on your primary - get another and put it on your pony (assuming your primary reg has been made in the last 30 years - it should be good.). I've got a sheerwood blizzard from 1980 and it still works great - so just grab something and put it on - except for a sheerwood blizzard - they leak tiny bubbles by design to help with dry mouth/freezing - not a good idea for a pony reg.

Persoanlly, I am not a big fan of Hollis reg in general. Their 2nd stage is just low quality. Miflex isn't the best for a possible neglected usage. Further $239 is a no deal for Hollis. You can easily get a MK2+HOG classic.

Really? Care to clarify about Hollis regs? Your statement contradicts just about every review you can find about the DC/212 series regs.

I paid a total of $190 for my reg set new. $150 for a yoke DC3 and 212. Bought the DIN conversion kit for $40 and had the seller swap the braided hose for a rubber hose at no charge. So for under $200 I have a new reg set for my pony. I also have the DC1 and 212 as my primary. $239 is still a pretty sweet deal, IMO. My LDS services Hollis regs and the parts are free. How could anyone go wrong with that.

I researched this well for some time and did not find another reg set of equal quality and value. I'd love to see some links of quality reg sets for cheaper.

Edit: I'll also add I personally like the overbalanced first stage on the Hollis regs that allow for more air to flow to the diver, especially in theory when you're a stressed diver going to your pony and may be breathing harder and faster. Of course that does increase the potential for free flow, but I've found leaving the reg set on predive is sufficient for preventng that from happening.

Last edited:
For pony, I will choose something like SP MK-2. Simple operations, very reliable even neglected and inexpansive. For 2nd stage, HOG classic. Again, simple, proven reliable, inexpansive.

I do not know very much about Hollis regs and I'm not sure which models they were but from my experience I have to agree with this just from my little experience with them. I have only seen 2 divers have Hollis regs. The first person I've seen the reg free flowed so easily that's it gets extremely annoying!! The 2nd instance was a cavern student in sidemount. Both of the regs were fairly new, the left reg failed on the 1st training dive. The right reg failed on the 3rd training dive. Both of them due to the high pressure seat. Now this is just my opinion and they could be great regs just not from my findings. I bought 3 HOG D1 regs awhile back to service and resell and they were some of the best breathing regs I've used.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom