Recommendations For Pony Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if you dive with good situational awareness, you will probably never need the pony. However stuff happens even to good divers and when you need it, you cannot afford a piece of junk. So if you are going to carry a pony, buy a good reg set up. Folks have rightly mentioned the Hollis. Other good choices include Apeks, Auqa lung and Scubapro. Have fun shopping.

I used a Mikron second stage and a vintage Mk.XIV first stage with a DIN fitting. Small, solid, reliable. A small SPG on a 6 inch hose completes the package. Haven't done any deep solo dives in years (getting too old), but the 12 CF bail out cylinder is still great for submerging pressurized regulators in the basement sink for a good FW rinse.

That's interesting to hear about the Hollis regs. Never heard that before. IME, they've been fantastic. My LDS is pretty much the only technical dive shop in the entire Tampa Bay area and when you walk in you trip over at least 30 stage, deco, pony, doubles, single cylinders all pre rigged with Hollis regs. As a rec diver I put a lot of consideration into serious tech divers using them for deep, technical dives in cave country and especially as bailouts for CCR's.

Hello OP,

I am with the people who are advocating Hollis and Oceanic. Yeah, they are the Ford of Scuba equipment. You know, Ford does have some good stats for its products since the Board snaked Alan Mulally from Boeing. Maybe Ford isn't such a bad comparison.

"SP-5 Sport Piston First Stage
The SP-5 offers all divers the opportunity to own a top-performing regulator at an unbeatable price. Repeatedly rated as the best in its class, the Alpha SP-5 exceeds both Navy Class A and European CE standards. The Alpha SP-5 may have been the first regulator you ever used due to its widespread use in rental and resort operations. "

Mil Spec is good enough for me. Every time I have tried to freak myself out and then do a practice pony bottle ascent, I have breathed real nicely off the SP-5. The SP-5 is available in Yoke or Din.

I have been in quite a few hairy ass situations in my life, and I have always managed to drop my heart rate and think my way out of the crappy stuff. Hopefully, with continued contingency-plan practice, I will react as I have in the past when the crap hits the fan while u/w. If you are freaking out u/w anytime, you may want to rethink your choice of avocations.

I have a Hollis second stage. It is necklaced. I have faith that it will respond well if needed.

I have owned one crappy first stage and several crappy second stages. The first stage had a casting flaw that was propagating. The second stages all chattered. They were Mares. Notwithstanding crappy workmanship and performance, they delivered gas when I needed it. Sometimes they free flowed (I considered those situations to be good because they still delivered the gas).

My advice: Buy a reg that has been around a while, and has a decent reputation. Don't worry about the Ford vs. Chevy vs. MB vs. BMW vs. Toyota BS.

Is Navy Seal Mil Spec good enough for you? It is good enough for me.

markm

PS: Don't beat-up your pony bottle reg, and for god sakes get is serviced with OEM parts by a competent and trained mechanic. (Oceanic and Hollis have a great parts service guarantee--unlike SP).

PS: Don't beat-up your pony bottle reg, and for god sakes get is serviced with OEM parts by a competent and trained mechanic. (Oceanic and Hollis have a great parts service guarantee--unlike SP).

MarkMud: Have you had a bad experience with scubapro guarantee? Curious.

MarkMud: Have you had a bad experience with scubapro guarantee? Curious.

Hi compressor,

No, not per se.

My wife has a Scuba Pro and it is awesome. It is better than my Oceanic and Hollis stuff--in marginal terms. Mercedes Benz quality? Quite possibly.

Here it comes: However, I did miss the yearly overhaul (my wife did not dive for a year--we had family and life issues--we wanted to dive but could not). Now, I have to pay for parts and labor and the parts don't come cheap.

Oceanic did not care. They still give me the parts as long as I get the regs serviced or inspected on a regular basis. No 365 day cut-off. They have some leeway.

SP, your screwed!

thanks,

markm

I don't work for Scubapro. With the parts for life program retired sometime in 2012, I think SP has lost some customers. I think the parts for life was a distinguishing feature of the scubapro line. With it gone, I think some folks will NOT buy SP regulators. For those with parts for life service, you have to be vigilant. If you miss the warranty service (which is now 2 years), you will have to pay for parts.

Personal experience after SP change: I purchased a few 2nd stages and serviced them, paying for the parts. I will not service them every 2 years but probably every 4 unless I think it needs servicing. If the parts for life existed, I would buy SP new and service regularly.

How much is the average cost of parts for an SP 1st and 2nd stage?
About 20-25$ for each stage for parts.

I just got a Scuba pro MK2 EVO/ R 195 for my pony. LP had it for 199. Plus tax. That's the cheapest price I've seen any where.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom