Recommendations For Pony Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am putting together a 19 cf pony setup. I want a small reg, with DIN first stage, and a small easy to stow second stage. Do not want to break the bank, either. What would be your recommendations.

They were blowing out Hollis regs for cheap the past few months to make way for the new line of regs. My pony setup is a Luxfer AL19. I put a pro vindicator valve on it. A Hollis DC3 DIN first stage and necklaced 212 second on a 30" hose under my arm as it is tank mounted. It's rigged with a XS Scuba Highland Pony Mount which makes swapping tanks very easy and the pony can also be donated while diving because it has its own cam strap. Picked up a button gauge from Piranha Dive MFG and a 90 degree elbow from DGX. No octo on my primary reg set as I went to the ScubaPro 5th Gen Air2.

Search around and you may find them cheaper. I did.
Hollis DC3/221 Regulator with 30" Maxflex Hose, DIN

BTW, have you had a chance to use that reel yet? What are your thoughts?

Since it is a pony, it is only used when you need an alternate air source....so this is about as small as it gets for a first stage (combined valve and first stage), but it is a pain to fill.....but you only need to do that once per trip. Put any second stage on it, pretty much anything will work for you, special features not needed. Example. No need to spend big bucks for really top-notch gear. If all goes well, it will NEVER get used. Just keep it clean and maintained.

Check out the DiveRite stuff (I use them on my 02). The HOG stuff is excellent and economical, and the launch of Deep-6 looks promising... I don't agree with "just getting by" on a pony reg. If it is being needed, it's a problem, and the reg should not be a compromise.....

I agree. In fact I would want my pony reg to be more or equally as reliable as my primary. Especially considering there's a higher tendency for neglect.

I considered those all in one valve/first stages, but many of the reviews I've read state they breath terrible and are best kept to dry suit inflation systems. But I have no first hand experience with them.

CuzzA,

Re your question, the AP Valves buddy reel and self-inflating SMB are both superb! Easiest deployment imaginable from depth. I will post a more detailed write-up in the Equipment sections re SMB/Reels. I recommend them without reservation.

Another favorite of mine is a ScubaPro MK-2 and one of the old metal seconds (108, 080, HP, 109, 156). The MK-2 is as simple as it gets and reliable, even in cold water, and the old seconds are tanks that breathe pretty darn well. Those are on my pony as they take a beating and just keep on going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom