Regs in your carryon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spirit air planes load in about the third of the time of a normal plane, so I can see the benefit in that aspect. Of course, the benefit is diminished when your flight is cancelled or very late, which happened to me on 2 of 4 flights last month.

To answer the OP, the regs, computers, and camera gear are all carry on. Everything else is checked. I have had things stolen, usually by my local TSA on the way out of the country. They X-ray all the bags so they know exactly what is in them and where in the bag it is.

... Spirit Airlines is merely leading the way by testing the waters.

That's why it's even more important to say 'NO', while we still have a choice ...

Expect this and worse... from every carrier.

Hey, if things ever get to the point of charging by passenger weight?? I'm about 145(wet), my wife(unfortunately) is probably have to stay home, then ... Guess, I'm finally gonna get a chance to check out the red light district in San Nicolas ... :wink:

Things I care about (regs and computer) go in the ruck; canister light goes in a Pelican case for carry on. Everything else goes in checked. EWR TSA has a hard-on for inspecting my regs and computers, nobody else has bothered me yet.

I have checked my gear and carried in on as well. Never lost anything, but that is luck. I carry on camera gear and expensive electronics. The last trip I sent my housing, strobes and other stuff Fedex. It ran $20 each way. This likely is not an option outside the USA. I have been looking at 4/3 cameras to cut down on the size.

I used to only carry on regs and computer. Then I had luggage and gear bags miss-routed several times. I don't pay for checked bags as a frequent flier but that doesn't stop them from loosing luggage. Sometimes to another country. After getting blisters from rental fins I started carrying on just about all the gear (warm water diving) in regular roller bags. Only occasionally had security take a closer look at regs but for the last few years it's been smooth sailing. Only surprise was Hawaiian Air inter-island- they changed carry-on weight limit to 25lbs due to worries of heavy stuff coming out of the overheads. Had to check some of the gear.

Back
Top Bottom