Regs serviced. now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is the difference between cleaning and servicing a reg?

One difference is the $50 to $100 charge for parts. Parts that are often changed unnecessarily during a service (or at least charged for!!!).

The better option would be inspection versus servicing with cleaning done only if the inspection indicates it is warranted. Labor costs for servicing can easily exceed $100 while an inspection should run more on the order of $25 to $35. Better yet, get an IP gauge and do the inspection yourself.

I am really just trying to get an understanding of what everyone is talking about. So, when you say a "regulator Inspection", what do you feel is being done for your $25 to $35? At my store I offer what we call a spec check for $20. This is an external only service, but includes; a visual check of the filter, a gander at the hoses hose connections, pull back hose protectors and check by ferrules. A visual observance of the regs overall condition, noting any build up or corrosion. Checking the reg mouthpieces for holes or torn bite tabs. Next I put the reg on the flow bench and check (and note) the regs IP and verify it is within factory recommended setting. My flow bench allows me to check the IP at low pressure, say 300 to 500 psi and at high pressure like 3,000 psi. The second stages are tested on my magnahelic for cracking resistance and flow rate and it allows me to check for a positive flow after the breath. Finally I put the reg on a pony bottle and toss it under water to check for leaks.

I report all of my findings to the customer and allow them to make their decision. I will typically do this while you wait if you made an appointment, or overnight if I am off teaching. If you decide to leave the reg for service I will apply the $20 towards the full service fee. Total time here is 20 to 30 minutes.

I am really just trying to get an understanding of what everyone is talking about. So, when you say a "regulator Inspection", what do you feel is being done for your $25 to $35? At my store I offer what we call a spec check for $20. This is an external only service, but includes; a visual check of the filter, a gander at the hoses hose connections, pull back hose protectors and check by ferrules. A visual observance of the regs overall condition, noting any build up or corrosion. Checking the reg mouthpieces for holes or torn bite tabs. Next I put the reg on the flow bench and check (and note) the regs IP and verify it is within factory recommended setting. My flow bench allows me to check the IP at low pressure, say 300 to 500 psi and at high pressure like 3,000 psi. The second stages are tested on my magnahelic for cracking resistance and flow rate and it allows me to check for a positive flow after the breath. Finally I put the reg on a pony bottle and toss it under water to check for leaks.

I report all of my findings to the customer and allow them to make their decision. I will typically do this while you wait if you made an appointment, or overnight if I am off teaching. If you decide to leave the reg for service I will apply the $20 towards the full service fee. Total time here is 20 to 30 minutes.

The only important thing you did not mention (I'm sure you must do it) is a vacuum check. Your $20 price is quite reasonable. But this really is something any serious diver should be able to do themselves. I also like to pull an HP an LP hose to see if there is anything interesting under there.

As a DIYer, I prefer a sink full of water and a couple test breaths even though I have a magnahelic. And I also prefer bracketing the 2nd stage adjustments rather than using my inline tool.

Ah yes, I did forget to mention the vacuum check. Also forgot to mention that if you purchase a mouthpiece from me I will install it free of charge. What I am trying to create is a service that provides value to the customer, is reasonably priced, does take me an hour to do and puts a dollar or two in my pocket. I am a little leery of breathing of a reg I have not serviced or rinsed, as I used to have a customer that sucked on wintergreen lifesavers every time he dove. I am not a fan of that flavor :)

Since I have access to a pool I usually drop in for an initial quick check for 5 to 15 minutes. The next dive I schedule will be where I can use it from 15 to 60 feet or so, which is a lot of the coast dives up here. As soon as practical I do a lake dive from 120 to 130 feet. I check the IP before and after, do leak checks, see how well it breathes, how it responds when switching regs, and when both seconds are in use. It is kind of a PITA to go through all this however, it gets me in the water and I've never had a problem that was not the normal deterioration of performance over time that one would expect, after making these dives.

I do these checks whether I service the reg or I send it out, in the case of a Poseidon I picked up on a deal recently.

Because regulators are so simple and reliable, most serious problems happen after service due to an over-site or mistake. My theory has been to check the operation in controlled conditions, where I can expect a failure and I can easily bail from the situation, before relying on it to perform properly. Oh Yeah, I never use two reg sets rebuild at the same time on the same tests.

It is probably, for most divers overkill, however I do Solo with one reg, most of the time, and I want to have justifiable confidence in the equipment.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

Last edited:
We get regs serviced, or service them annually or after 50 hours in the water. That assumes thorogh rinsing and proper storage between use. If you own two or more, I think it is worthwhile to get familiar with the manual and do you own servicing. Take a class if you feel the need. And we always have a shake out pool dive before taking them on a far away trip.
DivemasterDennis

My annual inspection/cleaning includes all of what Jeff offers (overall visual, pressure checks, vac test) and in addition I change the o rings on the HP spool. On top of that I do minor cleaning that does not affect function but just looks crappy.

Any little corrosion on the hose fittings gets cleaned up, inflator hose connection cleaned, clean the din threads if needed, clean and lube the yoke screw if a yoke reg, and since it's no big deal to take the covers off of the second stages, I clean the inside of those as well. If I see any kind of sand, silt, crud, salt crystals, empty spider nests (don't ask! but yes there was one) on a reg stored for awhile that gets taken care of.

Sometimes people don't rinse the duckweed, algae, etc. as well as they should.

No need for a rebuild but I like to give them back clean. $35.00 plus return shipping for a std set. 1st stage, 2 seconds, spg. All work gets noted and pressures recorded and sent to the owner in writing. If I do run across something that requires parts replacement or rebuild, that gets emailed to the owner and all work stops until I get the ok to go on.

Bill, unless you are having problems, wait...

A two year service interval is the soonest I would recommend, and I am coming up on year three with my own. They work perfectly, and I check my IP every dive day, and breathe off both my regs on every dive, without any changes for the worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom