Rock bottom & SAC rate calculators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you - figured it out - I was using 30 foot ascent in my spreed sheet - now works out to 3.1 cu ft using your numbers.

Program your old HP 33s RPN Calculator (HP Focal Language of the RPN HP-41C/CV/CX machines) to total the amount in Litres of breathing gas needed for a particular dive.

Input prompts for Depth ("D") in meters, Time ("T") at that depth in unit minutes with seconds in decimal base ten format [so for example, 1min 30sec is entered as 1.5], and SCR ("S") [SCR --stands for Surface Consumption Rate, same as SAC rate in litres/min].

Program loops through your depth range, time at each depth and SCR, all the way to the surface --and yields the total gas needed in Litres.

L0001 LBL L
L0002 INPUT D
L0003 INPUT T
L0004 INPUT S
L0005 (D/10 + 1) X T X S [//comment: Depth-divided-by-10 plus 1, multiplied by Time and multiplied by SCR equals litres of gas//]
L0006 ∑+
L0007 29
L0008 STO i
L0009 VIEW(i)
L0010 D – 3 [//comment: decrement "D" depth by 3 meters//]
L0011 STO D
L0012 x ≥ 0? [//loop test: is "D" depth still equal or greater than zero? --If less than zero then exit loop//]
L0013 GTO L
L0014 CLVARS [//exit loop to total gas needed in litres//]
L0015 ∑x [//this retrieves the total gas in litres needed and places the value in all four registers//]
L0016 ∑x
L0017 ∑x
L0018 ∑x
L0019 CL∑
L0020 RTN
PRGM TOP

All the above is just a simple iterative programming application of the manual Gas Calculation exercise in the GUE Fundamentals of Better Diving Workbook. . .​

Last edited:
When I first joined this site there was an excruciating thread about rock bottom that continued forever and basically turned into a giant arguement, but it was very informative for me. During that thread I asked TSandM about this rock bottom calculator and she mentioned to me then that the ascent strategy used in the calculations may not be exactly what I needed and the calculator may be a bit conservative for my diving. I later found an app "scubacalc" that I use now, I add a 200psi buffer to the pressure that they recommend and it has helped me a lot with planning. Maybe these numbers will be a little more inline with what you think are better for you and your buddies. Also, if anyone with lots more experience than me find these numbers a bit too liberal please chime in I'd like to hear that as well.
View attachment 192739View attachment 192740

I am looking for the app you mentioned. Does it go by a different name?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom