Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saving_Dive_Kit-1.JPG

All of the usual stuff, but I've saved dives with other items too. A BC inflator valve, and tank cam band come to mind.

Recent additions to my save-a-dive/first aid kit:
1. flexible, waterproof liquid bandage w/antiseptic (NewSkin; there are other brands also)
2. Nexcare "Absolute Waterproof" Premium First Aid Tape from 3M -- THIS STUFF IS AWESOME!

On my most recent dive, I (accidentally!) used my super-sharp leatherman to make a profound cut into my thumb. It was hard to get it to quit bleeding and it kept re-opening. I was able to create a durable waterproof bandage by just wrapping it with the Nexcare tape. This bandage can last 2 or 3 days, in spite of swimming, showering, washing hair, etc. And I didn't have to use my thumb differently. I could just forget about it!

Beware, "Nexcare" is just a sub-brand name. Make sure it also says "Absolute Waterproof" on it to get the good stuff.

I also keep it in a spare mask box, but if you don't have one of those, I've seen some cool waterproof boxes available these days at your LDS, or Academy, or Wal-Mart, or even Fry's.

tep:
I'm still a (re)new(ed) diver, so I'm still trying to figure this out, too.

I'm thinking small-ish relatively inexpensive replacements for things that can break or be lost, but can be "fixed" in the field.

Straps for mask, fins. O-rings, backup mask.

I've heard others suggest backup reg and computer, but that seems more than "just a save a dive kit" :)

Make sure you a good set of wrenches to fit all the 1st and 2nd stages. Allen wrenches, and screw drivers that actually have good handles are really handy. Nothing is worse than trying to use an adjustable wrench that won't fit in the right place or not being able to get enough torque to undo a stuck plug.

My kit bag is divided into 2 sections: Parts and tools

basically my parts include the rebuild kits for all the components of my regs (Spectrum 1st stage, Conshelf 2nd, Airsource 2). I also have extra o-rings (different sizes), Zip ties (different sizes), teflon tape, silicone grease, an extra fin strap, mask strap, mouth piece, extra LP hose, and extra adapter to convert the hose into a LP inflator for my BCD.

Tools wise, I've got 2 adjustable wrenches (6 inch and 12 inch), vise grips, circlip pliers, multi-tool, slip-jaw pliers, a file, an old credit card (for o-ring removal), nail cutters, sand paper, cotton, q-tips, toothpicks, extra port plugs, an empty CO2 cannister (3/8 size), a home made IP gauge, allen wrenches, a lighter, velcro tabs, an old toothbrush, thumb forceps.

Things like batteries (for light and computer) are in a separate kit as is my first aid-kit.

Basically everything I'll need to do a complete tear down and rebuild of my regs in the field. All I need is a bottle of white vinegar, then I'll be good to go.

A "Save-a-Dive" extra dive buddy.... packing him into the trunk of my car is the hard part...!!

58435688.gif

Here is mine. I gathered it from many sources and combined into my own.

View attachment 39844

Quite a kit, almost everything I carry and some things I don't. I do think you take more than me. :thumb: Makes me feel a little less paranoid. I do think it'd be good to edit prices in on all those items and carry paper/hard copies so you'll know what to charge others who need things :D

For anyone who cannot open the file, here is the download page for Microsft Excel Viewer. I'd been meaning to add that. :blush: Download details: Excel Viewer 2003

Or here it is in Jpeg...

Attachments

• SAV-A-DIVE_KIT.JPG
    SAV-A-DIVE_KIT.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 314
I would say loose the silicon lube and carry some O2 lube--no silicone near oxygen clean stuff, and why carry two. I also add a trans-fill, tools, an extra reg, rope and clips. O2 set up.

My kit bag is divided into 2 sections: Parts and tools

basically my parts include the rebuild kits for all the components of my regs (Spectrum 1st stage, Conshelf 2nd, Airsource 2). I also have extra o-rings (different sizes), Zip ties (different sizes), teflon tape, silicone grease, an extra fin strap, mask strap, mouth piece, extra LP hose, and extra adapter to convert the hose into a LP inflator for my BCD.

Tools wise, I've got 2 adjustable wrenches (6 inch and 12 inch), vise grips, circlip pliers, multi-tool, slip-jaw pliers, a file, an old credit card (for o-ring removal), nail cutters, sand paper, cotton, q-tips, toothpicks, extra port plugs, an empty CO2 cannister (3/8 size), a home made IP gauge, allen wrenches, a lighter, velcro tabs, an old toothbrush, thumb forceps.

Things like batteries (for light and computer) are in a separate kit as is my first aid-kit.

Basically everything I'll need to do a complete tear down and rebuild of my regs in the field. All I need is a bottle of white vinegar, then I'll be good to go.

OK Doc, can you explain the old credit card and the empty CO2 cannister?

I use an old credit card to remove camera sync cord and strobe O-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom