Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an old credit card to remove camera sync cord and strobe O-rings.
Also useful for scraping jellyfish tentacles or urchins spines, I have read.

Important note: Lithium batteries are now very restricted for checked luggage - see latest TSA advisories, as they change often...

Your save-a-dive kit will evolve as you dive; each problem you encounter will add to it.

But from today's experience, I will offer the wisdom that the best possible, well equipped and complete save-a-dive kit does you no good whatsoever if you don't take it with you diving . . .

But from today's experience, I will offer the wisdom that the best possible, well equipped and complete save-a-dive kit does you no good whatsoever if you don't take it with you diving . . .
:lol:​
That reminds me of how I end up with so much gear on trips. I'll look at a piece and think "I'd hate to wish I hadn't left it home" and it goes in with the rest...

Along with the general stuff I have seen posted here, orings, straps, etc, I carry some blister stuff as well, the waterproof blister bandaids and some moleskin. Also in my dive kit is a product called Body Glide. For those who are thinking bad thoughts, yes, it is a personal lubricant.lol But it is purchased in a sporting goods store, goes on like a deoderant stick, it's water proof to an extent, and it stops the irratation I get sometimes in my inside my elbows and the back of my knees when my wetsuit is on for a while. At the aquarium I am in a 5mm full for up to 10 hours, and it works great.

Here is mine. I gathered it from many sources and combined into my own.

View attachment 39844

How do you get an Epi-Pen? I have been trying to get two for my save a dive kit for quite a while. I asked my doctor about prescribing it but he didn't want to since its not really "for scuba use" but with my severe shellfish allergy, among a few others, it's something I'd really like to have one or two handy as a just in case

How do you get an Epi-Pen? I have been trying to get two for my save a dive kit for quite a while. I asked my doctor about prescribing it but he didn't want to since its not really "for scuba use" but with my severe shellfish allergy, among a few others, it's something I'd really like to have one or two handy as a just in case
You have a severe allergy and a doc who won't prescribe Epi-pen? That is surprising.

You have a sever allergy and a doc who won't prescribe Epi-pen? That is surprising.

Yeah, when I told him it was for when I am scuba diving he got very skeptical about its use. He doesn't want someone to mess up using it and is a strict believer that I will be close enough to medical attention where I live. It doesn't make it easier that since I now live in FL he is still in NY where my family is from. I guess I'll have to find a doctor down here and ask him/her after I get a physical.

Yeah, when I told him it was for when I am scuba diving he got very skeptical about its use. He doesn't want someone to mess up using it and is a strict believer that I will be close enough to medical attention where I live. It doesn't make it easier that since I now live in FL he is still in NY where my family is from. I guess I'll have to find a doctor down here and ask him/her after I get a physical.
Yeah, you need a local physician - especially with severe allergies. If I had a severe allergy to shellfish, I'd want to keep it with my CPR kit that I carry in case the gumbo or something I ate set it off.

If you ever go to Canada or Mexico, it is not regulated there. You're supposed to have a prescription to bring it back, but - well. Only has a 20 month shelve life, tho...

WalMart has these cool little waterproof clear boxes in the fishing department that are roughly the size of a mask box. They have a gasket seal and run about eight bucks.

I use them for save a dive kit, dry storage an the boat, etc.

I carry most of the stuff described in the foregoing posts.

But what have I actually saved dives with?

• o-rings
  • duct tape
  • spare power inflator
  • zip ties
  • spare bottom timer battery

I've had to replace o-rings on the tank valves of a surprising number of yoke-style rental tanks. The duct tape came in handy for eking out another dive on a torn drysuit neck seal. The spare power inflator was useful when a buddy discovered his power inflator was running away. (Actually, the "spare" inflator was attached to an extra wing I had on hand. But having had that experience, I now keep a truly spare inflator in my kit.) The zip ties are endlessly useful, and essential if you're going to swap a power inflator. The bottom time battery speaks for itself.

Many other bits and pieces of the kit have come in handy from time to time. But these five items have proven themselves to be the truly essential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom