Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things that I've used most out of my save-a-dive kit is a whole spare reg/computer/spg setup, complete with drysuit hose (we dive cold water here). I've loaned it out at least a half dozen times and normally tell the person to just use the whole thing as-is. Don't bother wasting time swapping anything out.

The reg is an Apeks ATX200, the computer is a Suunto Favor, and the bungied backup is an ATX50. People do comment on how well the thing breathes. :wink:
Haha going a little far? I do carry a spare reg, first and second stage, but it would need an spg at least, if not the alternate second stage. Servicing regs yearly wud be a bit much, but as I hardly use it or the pony reg, I take turns on them, testing on odd years...

So, I got a call from my doctor today and he gave me the prescription for 2 Epi-pens, i guess he got confused with something else and didn't want to prescribe what he thought I was describing unless I came in for a checkup. Anyways, are these things just carried in CVS or something similar or are they going to have to order it?

he mentioned that he didn't think my insurance would pay for 2 of them, how much do these things run?

Thanks

I have a severe allergy to bee stings. For backcountry/wilderness situations you need at least two epipens bc they can wear off before an antihistamine like benadryll takes effect.

CVS always has them in stock. If they're out of the regular, two jr models usually equals one adult. If you haven't used one before make sure you get one that has the trainer in it (no needle) as well.

As to cost...how much is your life worth? They can be the only difference in keeping an airway open depending on your allergy.

My insurance covers multiple purchases $30 each. I keep two in the car med kit, two in my travel kit, two in my backcountry/backpacking/climbing med kit. Keep in mind that you need to follow the expiration dates and if the fluid inside turns brown you need to replace it. They're also slightly thermally sensitive.

My save-a-dive kit includes gravol (or similar anti-nausea), sine-u-tab (or similar anti-histimine/decongestant) and asprin (or advil, tylenol). I don't know how many times I've seen divers looking a little green that a single gravol would have helped.

I have a severe allergy to bee stings. For backcountry/wilderness situations you need at least two epipens bc they can wear off before an antihistamine like benadryll takes effect.

CVS always has them in stock. If they're out of the regular, two jr models usually equals one adult. If you haven't used one before make sure you get one that has the trainer in it (no needle) as well.

As to cost...how much is your life worth? They can be the only difference in keeping an airway open depending on your allergy.

My insurance covers multiple purchases $30 each. I keep two in the car med kit, two in my travel kit, two in my backcountry/backpacking/climbing med kit. Keep in mind that you need to follow the expiration dates and if the fluid inside turns brown you need to replace it. They're also slightly thermally sensitive.

The ones I have are good until september and have the practice pen in it and instructions. I put it all in a clear pelican case that goes at the top of my dive bag and made sure my wife is well versed in its usage.

I probably have to get a prescription to get more since my doctor only gave me one for 2 pens. I wouldn't mind getting more of them though, so I'll have to look into that.

My save-a-dive kit includes gravol (or similar anti-nausea), sine-u-tab (or similar anti-histimine/decongestant) and asprin (or advil, tylenol). I don't know how many times I've seen divers looking a little green that a single gravol would have helped.

how does gravol compare to triptone (i think its triptone) and bonine. My wife can get sea sick when we are on fishing boats, but is always fine on sport boats for some reason. She wants to take something for our dives this weekend just to make sure. I was gonna use bonine unless there are other suggestions. Are there any serious side effects not listed on the bottle I should be aware of that can affect her diving?

Thanks

I use the non-drowsy Gravol. My wife has a serious nausea problem with motion and has used most of the major types and brands. For simple motion sickness over short periods the Gravol is fast acting and can be taken immediately prior to and during a trip with good results. She takes the Bonamine and uses the Scopolomine patch (pardon the spelling) when the trip is longer and rougher.

I am getting ready to build a "save a dive kit". What are the things that I really need to have and what are some items that a nice to have but you don't really need em?

Uh, folks the question pertains to what do you really need. For anyone traveling by air, the weight limitation is going to make packing a 12" wrench and complete 2nd set of regs/spg impractical.

Having just returned from a group trip, I was impressed by the needless redundancy in the s.a.d.k. If we'd compared notes before leaving home we would not have needed to take 16 spare mask straps, 16 spare fin straps, etc. Perhaps not practical for the entire group, but we should at least be trying to be more efficient at the buddy level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom