Save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife thinks it is excessive, but I bought a redundant computer. It is a hosed computer. My main one is wireless. (both same brand a sunnto D9 and a Cobra). I run the hose into the pocket of my BC, so it doesn't add a whole lot of extra stuff.

here was my rational. At the time I bought it we were planning a trip to Bonair and a Aggressor live-aboard. The cobra was $450, a fraction of the two trips we had planned. I figured that if either of our computers went out we would automatically have a back up that was "up to speed" with our dive profile.

Last weekend a buddy and I took a long weekend to Nassau. His computer went bonkers first day out. I switched it out with the cobra and he was good to go. so it paid off on its second voyage. I know buddies aren't suppose to share a computer, but I was always in the water first out of the water last and deepest, and neither of us gets anywhere close to the NDL. (Same with wife--I invariably have a slightly more aggressive dive profile--she seems to prefer being five feet above me rather than next to me, but we do seem to do a lot of walls.)

However, I do have a question. The cobra has a quick release. Does anyone know if I can dive without the quick release attached to a hose? Just with the computer in my pocket.

In otherwords if the quick release is detached is the unit sealed against water intrusion?

Then I could get rid of that extra hose and be a tiny bit happier with the arrangement.

but in any event, I consider that spare computer part of my save a dive kit. Along with tools, o-rings, straps, etc.

I carry two computers, two masks, two lights, etc on every dive, two tanks with regs on every dive below 50-60 ft. Redundant safety is another things really, but gooooood...!

Just something I would like to point out about o ring kits - I got one as a stocking stuffer for christmas and found out on a recent dive that it contained no O rings for DIN regulators.

You have a severe allergy and a doc who won't prescribe Epi-pen? That is surprising.

So, I got a call from my doctor today and he gave me the prescription for 2 Epi-pens, i guess he got confused with something else and didn't want to prescribe what he thought I was describing unless I came in for a checkup. Anyways, are these things just carried in CVS or something similar or are they going to have to order it?

he mentioned that he didn't think my insurance would pay for 2 of them, how much do these things run?

Thanks

My wife thinks it is excessive, but I bought a redundant computer.

I have this funky old analog depth gauge that I picked up at a yard sale. That plus a waterproof watch and some dive tables serves as an ultra cheap backup to a computer.

Just something I would like to point out about o ring kits - I got one as a stocking stuffer for christmas and found out on a recent dive that it contained no O rings for DIN regulators.

Good point. I've found o-ring kits to be basically useless -- too many o-rings in useless size; not enough in useful sizes. Far better to pick up a whole handful of o-rings in the sizes you actually need. In my experience, the o-rings that have needed replacing in a save-a-dive sort of way have been on regulators and tank valves.

So, I got a call from my doctor today and he gave me the prescription for 2 Epi-pens, i guess he got confused with something else and didn't want to prescribe what he thought I was describing unless I came in for a checkup. Anyways, are these things just carried in CVS or something similar or are they going to have to order it?

he mentioned that he didn't think my insurance would pay for 2 of them, how much do these things run?

Thanks
It's prescription medicine. If you feel the need to carry them, you may want to carry them everywhere, move them to a waterproof box for your dive bag on dive day, and make sure your insurance company will pay for them. Pretty expensive for something you don't plan to use, but will go out of date in less than two years. Here's some current prices: Costco.com

I've noticed the argument that some have put forth that annual service of regulators is not necessary. If you have your regulator serviced every year (as I do) what do you think of using the parts from that service as a spare part kit? You will for sure have the correct parts as they came our of your equipment.

One of the things that I've used most out of my save-a-dive kit is a whole spare reg/computer/spg setup, complete with drysuit hose (we dive cold water here). I've loaned it out at least a half dozen times and normally tell the person to just use the whole thing as-is. Don't bother wasting time swapping anything out.

The reg is an Apeks ATX200, the computer is a Suunto Favor, and the bungied backup is an ATX50. People do comment on how well the thing breathes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom