Seaquest Balance vs Zeagle Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually all of the "negatives" I heard where not from any LDS, only the wonderfully reliable internet. One LDS (a scubapro dealer) made the comment that the zeagle's wings could trap air since they are a U shape vs the scubapro (knighthawk I think) that was like a donut so the air could travel all around the BC.

I just bought a Balance, have a Cozumel trip in just over 2 weeks where I get to try it out (can't wait!!!). My instructor loaned me his Balance for an OW trip I helped with at Blue Hole NM and also a trip over to the pool to help with another class. I love it so far. My DMC buddy (twebba here on SB) has a new Zeagle but I don't know what flavor. From what I see it is a great BCD also, I know he loves it. I just got an incredible price on this Balance and I jumped on it. I love the fact that not only is it a back inflate but I like the open feel of the front of it. I'll let you know how it is in the ocean in about 3 weeks but so far I loved it when I used my instructors... Oh yeah, I wear my new one around the house too, ha!

I own a Balance and I have no complaints with it. Its been very durable and reliable. I recently took a dive trip and i was able to pack all my dive gear into one large backpack. I took all my gear with me and my clothes and i was way under my 40 kg weight limit. It packs up pretty easily. IMO its not the smallest of BC's out there but it definitly doesnt hinder you when it comes to packing it up for traveling. I would easily recomend the Balance.

i would go for the balance.

Only comment on the Zeagle is what I have seen. Haven't actually dived in one but it seems 90% of the people I see in Zeagles have buoyancy issues. Now this could be bad training but who knows... it seems a large majority of Zeagle owners I've seen seem to struggle with getting the air out of them. Even those with out the buoyancy problems seem to get into all kinds of strange positions getting rid of the air. Never seen as many of these problems with owners of Seaquest Bc's.

Isn't it interesting how everyone has different experiences? My husband remarked when he switched from his Seaquest BC to a Zeagle Ranger that with the Ranger all he had to do was make sure his left shoulder was slightly up to dump all of the air, but with his Seaquest he had to move around to get out all the air trapped in it.

I've been diving my Zeagle Zena for almost 4 years and have NEVER had a problem dumping air from it.

I like my Stiletto. Easy, fits and trims out perfectly just like my DiveRite Transpac. I've never had a bouyancy problem or getting the air out of the Zeagle either.

Last night we got back from a Caribbean liveaboard trip with 18 divers. The most popular BC brand was Seaquest followed by Scubapro. I'm guessing half of the divers were wearing some model by Seaquest.

Not a bp/w in sight - as usual!!!

I am 6'2" and about 220 lbs and love diving my Zeagle Stilletto. I use it here in the Northeast with steel tanks and a drysuit as well as in the Caribbean with just shorts.
It has a design that works really well and I have not experienced not getting all the air out or any turtling. It is a very flexible system (you can swap in a different size shoulder, etc) and is really easy to pack for trips.
You don't need the yellow weight pouches unless you use really small weights; I bought them, but ended up not using them.
There is a valve in the back to get rid of air while in the horizontal position but I still find it easier to just raise the shoulder.
My wife has a Malibu that works well for her.
Whatever you choose will work well.
BTW bouyancy issues should have nothing to do with BC models. It is about breathing and weighting (not filling BC with too much air to compensate for overweighting)

Thanks for all the help, I think I am going to go with the Balance (simply because I like the way it fits and it is more comfortable to me). I am sure I would like either.

all weight/balance/trim issues aside...Try getting a small part fixed on a ten year old balance...
I had an issue with an inflator o ring on a now longer manufactured Zeagle. Called the 800 number, spoke IMMEDIATELY with a human...and had a completely new inflator assembly in my hands in two days. No charges, no questions, no forms. I too would like to get a new Stilleto but my Speed Pac will not wear out..
...and I can use a weight belt...better for travel and when using smaller six pack boats or zodiac tenders...

I've used both BCDs and ended up going with the Zeagle. First and foremost, the Zeagle just fit me better, the balance had a tendency to ride up on me, especially at the surface. Zeagles are a much burlier build as well. The majority of the Zeagle is constructed of Jr. & Sr. ballistics--short of a kevlar, there aren't many burlier fabrics out there. Overall the construction reminds of my mountaineering/climbing gear. More over, if you look at the two side by side, the Zeagle is just a more compact & streamlined unit. Neither BC had more of a propensity to trap air in the bladder than other--most buoyancy issues are more of a user issue than an equipment issue. As far as weight systems go, yes, the ripcord system does take a minute or two to reset, it really shouldn't take anyone longer than that... I've only deployed it once and that was for rescue class--even so, how often do you really plan to be ditching your weights anyway? And I really don't see how it could be "accidentally/unintentionally" deployed; I'd like to hear from people who have actually seen this happen (as opposed to those who have heard of it happening).

It sounds like you've already made your decision, but if you are looking for something that is streamlined and has an "industrial" build quality, I really think you should give the Zeagle another look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom