Question Semi Dry wetsuit recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's better Cone Wrist seals or Bottle Neck ?
It is personal preference. Bottle neck seals are sized and I find them more comfortable and less prone to leaks with deep wrist veins. Cone seals are universale and can be trimmed to fit anybody. It mattered more with latex seals. The silicones are stretchy enough to seal for about anybody.

Dry gloves. No seal needed
Which is excessively silly and frowned upon in technical diving, which OP is asking about. One cannot afford to have a torn dry glove turn into a flooded suit in cold water with a large deco obligation. If you’re in simple OW environments as uou are and the surface is available, so be it.

I didn't take into account tech and deco obligations. I'm purely OW and NDL diving. A flooded suit sucks but isn't a killer. Now. What about DUI suits and their pita zip gloves with no seals?

I didn't take into account tech and deco obligations. I'm purely OW and NDL diving. A flooded suit sucks but isn't a killer. Now. What about DUI suits and their pita zip gloves with no seals?
SOL and was that worry was the motivation behind the baffled zip seal gloves.

Till your glove rips and your entire suit floods because you don't have backup seals.
Is that an issue you run into often?
Seems to be an issue people worry about that doesn't really happen.
Do you wear a drysuit under your drysuit in case you tear the suit during the dive?
I have done more than 10 technical drysuit dives in my life. I have never torn a glove in the course of a dive. Ever.
I have had the same pair of gloves on my suit for the last five years.
The customers I have that constantly come in with torn gloves have one thing in common when I get in the water with them. A complete lack of buoyancy control. They are touching the wrecks, holding onto downlines. Pulling themselves around the bottom. None of these things need to be happening. I see wrist seals with dry gloves as a gear solution to a skills problem. In the end, stuff happens and I could easily tear a gloves. I have torn suits during dives and had catastrophic floods. It happens, that is why you wear quality undergarments that still insulate when soaked. In Florida, 2 hours of deco is easy and a suit flood would suck, but it isn't going to kill you. Up here in the Lakes, I rarely ever have more than 60-90 minutes of deco. Even with a full flood. With quality undies and heated gear, you aren't going hypothermic in 60 minutes.

Winter in New England I've seen water temps at 31 degrees a flooded suit in those temps with air temp in the teens is a very high risk for hypothermia.

SOL and was that worry was the motivation behind the baffled zip seal gloves.

Reason I don't have zip wrist seals on my DUI.

Is that an issue you run into often?

Torn glove often, no. Leak in dry gloves is the only leak I've had. Pull the equalize tube from between the seal and wrist and only minor arm flood. Continue dive just shorten due to hand being cold.

No inconvenience whatsoever but I consider hypothermia to be a major issue so I keep the seals on my suit with my drygloves.

Torn glove often, no. Leak in dry gloves is the only leak I've had. Pull the equalize tube from between the seal and wrist and only minor arm flood. Continue dive just shorten due to hand being cold.

No inconvenience whatsoever but I consider hypothermia to be a major issue so I keep the seals on my suit with my drygloves.
Every glove leak I have ever personally experienced has come from the ring system. Once I went away from the rings and went to attached gloves, I have never had a glove leak.
I have one suit with zip gloves and another with glued on dry gloves.
I picked up a sent of Santi Smart Rings last week. I plan to install them on one of my other suits for fixed but replaceable dry gloves. I haven't tried them yet, but I like the simplicity of the design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom