shark diving. Am I qualified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did that dive outta Beqa Lagoon Resort about 3 or 4 years ago--2 Tiger Sharks came in on us---14'er on dive one---same 14'er AND(plus) a 18'er the 2nd dive...I'd say No to you diving(it) ----not because of the dive(s)---they are straight 80' then 60' dives respectively---but just because of your(apparent) overall(poor)diving skills(sounds like to me anyway)..........BUT----On 2nd thought, if something were to happen to you on either dives---& a TS or 2 came in---they'd have PLENTY of shark bait to go around.......:)

14'er:...
13647034524_6d8230b233_o.jpg
[/URL]14 ft. Tiger shark...Beqa Lagoon, Fiji by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

18'er......:..
13646938795_cb4b914b54_o.jpg
[/URL]18 ft Tiger shark...Beqa Lagoon, Fiji by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

What is your opinion about all of this?

The sharks won't attack you for one thing if you shoot to the surface.

If you are going to take a refresher course before you go

And

Dive all week long, logging at least 2 dives a day

And

Do the shark dive at the end of the week

You'll will probably be fine.

BUT- forget all I said if the dive is deeper than 80 ft.

Regardless of depth, with essentially zero diving experience...really a bad idea, IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The sharks won't attack you for one thing if you shoot to the surface.

Do the shark dive at the end of the week

You'll will probably be fine.

BUT- forget all I said if the dive is deeper than 80 ft.
..............That's a possibility---we did ours on Friday--the very end of the week --the day before we left, after 5 days of diving......1st dive was 80'---2nd to 60'........(lol-if I remember correctly---on the depth...The day is correct)......

I've only done one shark feeding dive. It was in Nassau, Bahamas and it was my 15th dive. It was a ton of fun. However, as others have said, the earlier you are in your dive history, the more you learn each dive. Probably wouldn't have been a good idea if it was my 5th - I learned a lot in those 10 dives. Also, the Nassau dives are just 17m and the sharks are ~2m reef sharks. Try and get some more dives in (quickly), try and dive around some sharks and see if you start freaking out, and then see how you feel. I don't regret doing it, but it was less risky in my scenario.
12281347406_6cd5c6c5d7_k.jpg

But if you use these factors as permanent obstacles that can not be overcome, I have to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I will never have another chance to do this as there are no predators like these in Europe.
I also do not believe that someone who has done 30 dives is that much more experienced than someone who has done 10.

I do agree that I absolutely need to freshen up my skills before I go, to avoid problems. But can't I do that in 3 fun dives + going through some theory? Instead of spending a fortune on 25 more dives.. especially on Fiji

The guys on Koh Tao told me that diving at 30m isn't that much different (skill wise) than at 18.
The advanced course didn't require a lot after the open water. I just didn't do it because I was happy diving at 18 meters.

I don't want to be reckless. But on the other hand I also don't want to throw away such a unique opportunity.
I emailed their staff but got no reply

Anymore questions about my judgement???

I may not have a ton of dives in my book but as you can see I am smart enough to know what just about every EXPERIENCED diver is going to tell you. At 28 dives I have been caught in a rip current (dive #6) and yesterday on dive #28 my buddy, who is my wife and I becane separated on a low viz dive and had to do Lost Buddy procedures to find each other again. We were both scared $hitless, it was our first time ever being separated in any kind of dive. We kept our cool and did what we were trained to...WOULD YOU?

As other more experienced divers have said, you a can learn a lot from 5 to 30 dives and I believe I have. I feel I am at least experienced enough to know that neither my wife nor I are qualified to do that dive at this stage of our diving exprerience and you don't even come close to us in your dive history.

Good luck, be smart, live to dive another day!

P.S.: I too wish you could do the dives you are asking about. It sounds like a real blast.

You're eager to dive and gain experience, Bravo! But you're not ready yet for the depth - your air consumption is unknown, your anxiety will be through the roof and things can go wrong, but you wouldn't know how to handle them!

Do us a favor - read "Diver Down" first. A book EVERY new diver should memorize. It details lots and lots of scenarios of bad things happening, and provides insight on how to react to most of them. This is NOT a substitution for experience, but it might open to your eyes to some of the hazards out there, and provide you anecdotal evidence as to why more experience is needed before pushing your limits and trying things that you, yourself (on some level) already know that you're not ready for.

Yes, it sucks - but Fiji has great diving everywhere. And I've done the Emerald Charters 3-tank shark feeding with Randy in Jupiter, FL. Wow. You'll be able to find sharks in many places - this will not be your only opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, you've had the word from most people... Don't do it. You don't meet the prerequisites for the company, and clearly from your OP you still lack some understanding about diving.
IMHO why not spend time up north of NZ diving the Poor Knights. Or head down further south and dive White Island (a live volcano). There are many other amazing dives to do in NZ, and if you're worried about being on this side of the world and not wanting to miss your chance doing some amazing diving then that would be my suggestion. You can dive with sharks anywhere in the world... But there is only one NZ :)

Yes folks, I'm a Kiwi and I'm biased.

P. S
Have dived the Beqa Lagoon shark dive before myself and it is amazing... But I've had equally as good dives here at home!

I also do not believe that someone who has done 30 dives is that much more experienced than someone who has done 10.

I totally disagree with you there zyntherius. At 10 dives, you're still getting used to the equipment. At 30 dives, you're getting used to being underwater, the equipment has become second nature.

I have no idea whether or not you're ready, but just wanted to throw in my opinion on your statement. Good luck and dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom