shark diving. Am I qualified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't set up my own equipment without help at this point.
How did you get certified if you can't set up your own equipment?
Yes, vacation diving, usually someone does it for you- but that you -can't- tells me "no way" to a dive where the operator wants an advanced diver.

I also do not believe that someone who has done 30 dives is that much more experienced than someone who has done 10.

I only have 25, so I guess I have to wait 5 more to see, but I was a drastically different diver at the 20 mark than I was at the 10. The comfort in the water and with the equipment really grows. And 30 dives is still beginner territory.

I would not go on this dive (even if they'll let you- which I'm not sure since you don't meet the qualifications they are asking for) if you can't control your bouyancy and take care of yourself as an independent diver. Me personally, I wouldn't want my first deep dive to be a shark dive. I'd like to see how I respond to depth and possible narcosis before I have apex predetors around.

Skittl---Like you, I thought about "How did you get certified if you can't set up your own equipment?" also, but HOPING he's just forgotten how to(ie hoping he did know @ one time)............

"respond to depth and possible narcosis"----shouldn't be any problem---due to shallower depth.........

"respond to depth and possible narcosis"----shouldn't be any problem---due to shallower depth.........

The website says the dive takes place at 30m/100 ft. Isn't that deep enough that sometimes those issues kick in?

(I don't dive past 75 ft, so I really don't know...)

The website says the dive takes place at 30m/100 ft. Isn't that deep enough that sometimes those issues kick in?

(I don't dive past 75 ft, so I really don't know...)

It all depends on the person, the conditions and probably a few other factors.

Normally, the first small signs of narcosis start to kick in somewhere between 25m and 30m for me. I'm usually noticably impaired at 30m, and because of this I usually plan my dives shallower, or at least with an absolute max depth at 30m.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

And even if he knew how to set up his own gear, had 30 dives etc. Etc. He has no dive insurance. Further, does he have his certification with him? What if he's not PADI? what if he is PADI and the computer/internet aren't working when he gets to the shop?

Zynthereis, the truth of the matter is that if you really love to dive and you really want to dive with sharks, you WILL make another opportunity for yourself. FACT! just ask any of us here. :)

The website says the dive takes place at 30m/100 ft.

If the dive takes place at 100 ft, that is the end of the story, there is nothing more to talk about.

How did you get certified if you can't set up your own equipment?
Yes, vacation diving, usually someone does it for you- but that you -can't- tells me "no way" to a dive where the operator wants an advanced diver.

I only have 25, so I guess I have to wait 5 more to see, but I was a drastically different diver at the 20 mark than I was at the 10. The comfort in the water and with the equipment really grows. And 30 dives is still beginner territory.

I would not go on this dive (even if they'll let you- which I'm not sure since you don't meet the qualifications they are asking for) if you can't control your bouyancy and take care of yourself as an independent diver. Me personally, I wouldn't want my first deep dive to be a shark dive. I'd like to see how I respond to depth and possible narcosis before I have apex predetors around.

I could set up my own equipment at the time. But it is a long time ago and I don't have the hang of it anymore at this point.
Based on the answers in this thread I will choose to swim with manta rays instead.

It seems you are not getting the facts right, yes it is opportunity that is not everyday but you don't want it to be a bad experience, nor take it unrelaxed, nor be your last one, you will have plenty of more oportunities later on, in other places, like all said more experience better, even if you feel like fish in the water, from one rucky to another get your advance and see first if your boddy tolerates getting in to narc.

A not so funny frase, everybody is qualified to be eaten by sharks while drowned

I'm a rank beginner, but I'm glad you decided to dive within your comfort and skill level. My experience with life has proven chillyinCanada's words many, many times.

Zynthereis, the truth of the matter is that if you really love to dive and you really want to dive with sharks, you WILL make another opportunity for yourself. FACT! just ask any of us here. :)

I bet your trip will still provide you with permanent, amazing memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom