• I don't care

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Don't take or touch anything, including shells with hermits

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Collecting dead shells OK, live ones, not OK

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Don't take, I know about mollusc populations

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Don't take/touch anything--Agencies say so, though I don't have data.

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I collect sometimes--don't really think about it

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • All good, I am a shell collector

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I don't get it. The purpose of the poll that is. It's been pretty well established that you will collect shells and kill the original owner to get one, and you are unrepentant to the point of almost being obnoxious about it. Almost everyone else you have challenged about it on SB has said that they don't, won't and that just isn't their gig. Aside from that issue, you are a valuable contributor to the board, seem like a heck of a nice guy, and come from Canada, and who doesn't like a Canadian, eh?

Why do you poke the bear?

I take the empties that I want.
Typically Queen Conch, Milk Conch, Fighting Conch, Cowries, Flamingo Tongues, Sea Biscuits and Sand Dollars (dead and or empty only).
IF there is not too much growth on them, I will not take them as they are a part of the world that I like to look at.
I will take live clams, assorted shellfish and other sea treats along with oysters for consumption, and to be honest, I throw the empty shells into the lake close to my home when I am through with them.
When I lived in Mobile Alabama I tossed about every single part of an animal from the sea that I did not consume according to the local tradition...
"If it comes from the bay, put it back into the bay."

Chug
Omnivore

I take nothing and leave nothing but bubbles. The first part is that when I was young and went to Yellowstone, I wanted to pick up a rock and bring it back with me. It was explained to me that if everyone did that, there would soon be no rocks for anyone to look at......they would all be gone. The second part is that the training agency and instructor I had for OW instilled that fact to me. take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

I have no desire to stop collectors from doing so. It just isn't something I am going to do.

the shells provide calcium to the creatures that need it.

a few weeks ago I picked up a beer bottle on the ocean bottom, was going to throw it out, 40ft up the reef I happened to be trying to get the sand out and noticed an octopus wedged in the opening trying like heck not to be evicted from his house. so I put the bottle back in as safe a place as I could find, sorry dude. the ocean uses everything.

I have taken the odd dead shell/fragment home as a memento from a trip, but I do not make a point of it. It is not a hobby or anything; really more about my connection to a place and/or an experience. If I see a small fragment that speaks to me, I don't see a problem with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom