Skills practice - out of water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any skills that can be practiced while waiting for a chance to dive?

I have scheduled a dive skills training session (pool) with a DM for next week and will do a few more before going to PDC in February.

I have been assembling/disassembling my gear to become familiar with it. Working with my bc to get use to the locations of everything. Is there anything else worth doing or is it waste of time unless in the water?

Scott M once bubbled...
Are there any skills that can be practiced while waiting for a chance to dive?

I have scheduled a dive skills training session (pool) with a DM for next week and will do a few more before going to PDC in February.

I have been assembling/disassembling my gear to become familiar with it. Working with my bc to get use to the locations of everything. Is there anything else worth doing or is it waste of time unless in the water?

Navigation with the compass comes to mind.

R..

Not that i am any kind of expert on any of these things, but i find that i am more prepared to do things should something happen if i mentally run thru things, like procedures or even trying to find things with my eyes closed - think lost mask or light(s) packs up. There is always the discussion of such events with dive buddy or you could even read things about improving your skills. These are the kinds of things i do when on SI's or going out or coming in again, preview, review and getting things straight in my head. I am pretty new to all this as i only got OW cert just over a month ago, but i like to keep my mind moving on such things.

I would also be interested if there were other physical things that could be done, either on a boat or on shore - however i would think it would look a bit strange to do the covered head navigation i have seen some doing on the shore on a boat! :wink:

Visualization was mentioned by Simbrooks. If you visualized what you expect to happen in the scuba review, then you could jot down any questions that come to mind beforehand.

Visualization is also a valuable tool before you go diving to make sure you have thought of everything that you will need and that you are going to do. I normally sit down in my livingroom and visualize everything that I expect to take place on a dive. Then I make sure I have all the gear laid out that I will need, before I pack it.

Stretching is another good thing to do, on a daily basis. That will help you reach around your gear, put on your fins, and reach back to your tank valve(s) and hoses if need be.

Exercise, aerobic and anaerobic, should also be a life long activity if you want to scuba. Aerobic exercise includes jogging and/or swimming. Anaerobic exercise includes weight training and/or pull ups, push ups, sit ups etc.

There is never time to waste.

Re-read your learn-to-dive manuals. You will find more info and more of it will make sense on the second or third read.

Exercise and stretching, of course!

And. . . breathing exercises. My favorite is the straw exercise. Get a normal drinking straw and breathe through it in a slow and relaxed manner. Sounds easy, but it takes practice. And if you then breathe this way while on SCUBA you will improve your air consumption rate and make a tank last longer.

Great to respond to someone who is serious about improving his skills, especially while still new to the sport.

theskull

Thanks for all the great reply's.

I am glad to hear some of the things I have been doing to prepare are at least not useless.

Compass, visualization, exercise (I do this already so thats good), stretching and more reading. Lots to keep me busy.

Scott

1. Get tables. Memorize them.

2. Read. Deco theory and nonfiction stories like The Last Dive and Deep Descent comes to mind here.

3. Gear up and get with your buddies and dive without the water.

4. Make it a habit to navigate places with yout eyes closed. This is an especially fun one for me... I was born legally blind, and can accomplish this task simply by taking out my contact lenses. I still count my steps everywhere and often forget to turn the lights on in places. :)

5. Disassemble your gear. Reassemble it. Do it again. And again.

6. Read some more.

7. Watch TV in a horizontal position - work your legs and ankles and practice your frog.

8. Exercise. Any exercise is good... But especially the aerobic kind. Walk. Run. Ride. Swim.

9. Fantasize about being underwater.

10. Contact your local GUE guy and ask for more ways of practicing. Take him or her out for a meal and pick his or her brain.

11. Read DIR-F again. I'm always amazed at how the author has managed to sneak into my room and rewrite it... :D It always seems to offer new information every time.

12. Turn on "Deep Sea Detectives" on the History Channel.

13. Work an extra two hours today, and put the extra money earned into a savings account for your next drysuit/scooter/light.

14. The same as #13, but for your buddy... Perhaps they have more responsibilities than you do, so you need to help them with their gear... So you can get more diving in. Hey, underwater, when you have a problem with yours, you may be asking for a donation... And you might end up really thrilled that you helped them get the "right" stuff.

15. Think about getting rid of your car for a truck/van.

16. Work on getting a boat.

17. Work on getting a dive trailer.

Let me know if you want more. :)

Great list SeaJay, couldn't agree more. I catch myself reading my dive manuals and ripping apart my gear. It is great stuff and the exercise portion is unbelievably important. Fantasize about being underwater always..........

I find slapping my buddy on the back of the head is much more effective out of water...than in water.

SeaJay once bubbled...
1. Get tables. Memorize them.

I have the NAUI tables. Are those Ok or are you refering to a different table?

SeaJay once bubbled...
2. Read. Deco theory and nonfiction stories like The Last Dive and Deep Descent comes to mind here.

I've read Deep Descent and The Last Dive (Great Reads). Where can I get Deco Theory? I'll try Amazon.

SeaJay once bubbled...
3. Gear up and get with your buddies and dive without the water.

I've been doing this by myself, is that considered solo diving? ;-), until my buddy can get geared up. He is getting the same set-up I have so it is redundant.

SeaJay once bubbled...
4. Make it a habit to navigate places with yout eyes closed. This is an especially fun one for me... I was born legally blind, and can accomplish this task simply by taking out my contact lenses. I still count my steps everywhere and often forget to turn the lights on in places.

I remember doing this as a kid. I had a blind uncle and would do this see what it was like to be in his shoes.

SeaJay once bubbled...
5. Disassemble your gear. Reassemble it. Do it again. And again.

Been doing this a lot.

SeaJay once bubbled...
6. Read some more.

Thanks to members of the board I have quite a list of books to pick up and read. Good thing winters are long here.

SeaJay once bubbled...
7. Watch TV in a horizontal position - work your legs and ankles and practice your frog.

Can you give me an example or a site I can go to see how to do this? I am very interested in learning the frog kick correctly.

SeaJay once bubbled...
8. Exercise. Any exercise is good... But especially the aerobic kind. Walk. Run. Ride. Swim.

No problem here. I do all of the above for skiing anyway. Although I am adding more stretching to the routine. I can see the benefit of being able to reach my valve easily should I make a mistake and leave it off.

SeaJay once bubbled...
9. Fantasize about being underwater.

I've been doing that alot. I thought for a while I was way to obsessed with this whole diving thing then I saw your recent thread regarding the exact same thing. Now I know there are at least two of us that are nuts :)

SeaJay once bubbled...
10. Contact your local GUE guy and ask for more ways of practicing. Take him or her out for a meal and pick his or her brain.

Actually, I have a pool skills session set up for next week with a local DM who happens to be DIR. The LDS set me up with her because of my gear set-up.

SeaJay once bubbled...
11. Read DIR-F again. I'm always amazed at how the author has managed to sneak into my room and rewrite it... It always seems to offer new information every time.

Is that the same as the Deco Theory book? If not were do I get it?

SeaJay once bubbled...
12. Turn on "Deep Sea Detectives" on the History Channel.

Good show. Not enough diving though.

SeaJay once bubbled...
13. Work an extra two hours today, and put the extra money earned into a savings account for your next drysuit/scooter/light.

I am lucky enough that I can support my diving habit with out to much difficulty. I am waiting on the dry suit/scooter thing until I have my basic skills done cold and have some dive time before taking on any more task loading.

SeaJay once bubbled...
14. The same as #13, but for your buddy... Perhaps they have more responsibilities than you do, so you need to help them with their gear... So you can get more diving in. Hey, underwater, when you have a problem with yours, you may be asking for a donation... And you might end up really thrilled that you helped them get the "right" stuff.

I agree and so far my buddy has seen my gear and likes the set-up so he is following suit. It is going to take a little longer for him to gear up. I have been buying a lot of the misc. items in two's so we can dive sooner. I will be supplying the tanks, dive flags, etc.

SeaJay once bubbled...
15. Think about getting rid of your car for a truck/van.

Way ahead of you. I already have a Toyota LC and a Xterra. Actually I have a new Motor Home also for those dive locations that are extended overnight trips.

SeaJay once bubbled...
16. Work on getting a boat.

Got one. A 24' triple pontoon with a 115 Yamaha (to get to those dive sites faster). It is well set-up. Fridg, porta potti, sink, several good entry exit points with a very large stable ladder.

SeaJay once bubbled...
17. Work on getting a dive trailer.

I have an enclosed trailer I don't use anymore so if the need arrises I will be set.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Let me know if you want more.

I'm an open book keep them coming.:)

Thanks SeaJay I always find your threads and responses informative and well written.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom