Skills practice - out of water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:doctor:
Hey you can do lots of things without being in the water. Practise with your eyes closed until you know where everything is rigged on your bcd. Do some OOA drills with a buddy. Compass work. Alot of things have been provided to you from others on this site. Go work in a pool with and without the DM. Work with your dive buddy. Once you do something ask yourself WHY? did that work or not work

GDI once bubbled...
:doctor:
Hey you can do lots of things without being in the water. Practise with your eyes closed until you know where everything is rigged on your bcd. Do some OOA drills with a buddy. Compass work. Alot of things have been provided to you from others on this site. Go work in a pool with and without the DM. Work with your dive buddy. Once you do something ask yourself WHY? did that work or not work

The help on this forum has been fantastic.

I'm just waiting on my buddy to get the rest of his gear so we can do the OOA drills.

I am going to start to do the closed eyes drills tonight. I have quite a bit of free time at night so I work with my gear regularly.

As far as the pool. Thats a little tougher. The local YMCA does not allow this for individual divers for liability issues unless I am with the YMCA instructor. The instructor does not do private sessions. So I have go to Vermont to get sessions and they are very busy so I will be lucky if I can get in 1 a month. I am going to try for more though.

Scott

Scott M once bubbled...

I have the NAUI tables. Are those Ok or are you refering to a different table?

Different people choose different tables for different reasons. The bottom line is that they're all very similar, and what's more important than "which" table is that you use the same one consistently and know it well.

So yes... If you were taught NAUI and have that table available, then by all means, memorize that one.

For me, a good method of memorization has not been to actually memorize the numbers, but rather, to use the "Rule of 120" and memorize the deviation instead.

The "Rule of 120" states that bottom time + depth = 120. At 60 feet, then, you've got 60 minutes to your NDL. At 80 feet, you've got 40 minutes, etc. However, depending on the table you use, there is some deviation from that, especially once you get towards the extremes... For example, you do not have "0" minutes at 120, and you do not have 110 minutes at 10'. :) For me, it's easier to remember the "curve" that the table really outlines by remembering how far off the Rule of 120 is at these extremes.

This exercise will not only get you thinking more in terms of "curve" than "tables," but might also save your butt in a pinch... As well as making it easier to plan quickly and easily - and more importantly, identify glaring problems with your plan that might not be so obvious to those who aren't completely skilled with the numbers.

I've read Deep Descent and The Last Dive (Great Reads). Where can I get Deco Theory? I'll try Amazon.

:) Sorry, "deco theory" is the subject, not the title. :) What I've been able to get my hands on has been mostly articles and scholarly publications, research papers and notations from actual experiences. Rarely, I believe, is anyone willing to risk their scientific reputation by writing a book - deco theory is something that the top scientists in the world admit that they really don't have a firm grasp on yet. But an overall understanding is attainable. From a diver's perspective, I believe that a good overall understanding is more important for a practical application than is hard evidence. You don't need to know down to the second or foot of depth when you're going to "fizz." What you need to know is whether or not you should leave the bottom at 10 minutes or 20. Or whether to hang at 40 feet or 15.

Can you give me an example or a site I can go to see how to do this? I am very interested in learning the frog kick correctly.

I've got some of FifthD's videos linked from my site... Go to http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org and click on "Videos" then "Training Videos." There's lots of good stuff in there, including the frog kick.

I have to be honest, though... The frog is something that looks easy... Yet the right technique is often elusive, without you even knowing it. I recommend that you get with your local GUE guy and ask for some coaching. An underwater video shot of yourself will be impressively helpful.

Actually, I have a pool skills session set up for next week with a local DM who happens to be DIR. The LDS set me up with her because of my gear set-up.

That's just awesome. You're lucky to have that resource. Let us know how it goes.

Is that the same as the Deco Theory book? If not were do I get it?

The "Fundamentals" book can be gotten from Extreme Exposure, a well-known dive shop in the middle of cave country. Their website is http://www.extreme-exposure.com . I don't think they have the book listed, but if you call them and ask for it, they'll send it to you.

Awesome book.

Good show. Not enough diving though.

Ha! there never is. :) However, with a high speed connection and a computer, you can entertain yourself with hours of diving in the "Videos" section of Deep South Divers.

I am lucky enough that I can support my diving habit with out to much difficulty. I am waiting on the dry suit/scooter thing until I have my basic skills done cold and have some dive time before taking on any more task loading.

Very cool. Sounds like you've got all the right things in place... Boat, vehicle, instructor... As well as funding for future stuff. I wish we all had this luxury.

Thanks SeaJay I always find your threads and responses informative and well written.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. :) Glad y'all let me share...

Scott M once bubbled...

I'm an open book keep them coming.:)
Scott
Scott the book you're looking for can be found on GUE's website....here...

As for prepping for a dive, or pool session for that matter....you can do a few things...

1 - plan your dive....for instance..."what skills do I want to work on", "what order do I want to do them in", "how much time should I spend on this drill before I consider myself frustrated and try again at a later point", etc.

2 - Get very familiar with your gear...put it together, take it apart....find a comfortable place to put everything....think about where things would be convenient to get to or look at in an emergency, etc.

3 - Talk to your instructor/mentor....I use the term mentor b/c you really should be training with someone who has a diving philosiphy common to yours and is willing to work with you...no matter how slow you might want to go. Ask questions, talk about your diving goals, etc, etc.

4 - Lastly...don't rush into things...diving is a sport where you can take your time....the ocean is going to be there tomorrow, and the day after that. Be patient...not everything will come easily.

5 - MY suggestion for "deco theory" or "the rule of 120" or whatever you want to call it for you would be to just forget about it for the time being. Yes, you have to know how to keep yourself from getting bent, just use common sense in that regard...follow what you were taught, but don't get yourself all caught up on something you have no formal training with. The time will come when you realize what it is you want to know about tables, or NDL limits, or whatever rule you want to use, and you'll make your own decision based on that.

Although you asked specifically about skills, we all rushed to deluge you with tons of non-skill stuff, too. Its just our way around here sometimes. Here some thoughts. Remember, I'm a DIR weenie, so your mileage may vary:

SKILLS

Fin Control - specifically building muscle memory. Get on your belly in front of a mirror and work through kicks. Arch your back, and work through them. You will find when you get in the water, you'll stop dropping your knees on your frog kick if you practice on the floor, bed or other level surface. My wife steps overme to get into the closet, as she shakes her head. I don't mind - its working for me.

Snapping - more muscle memory stuff. Reaching back to snap and unsnap your SPG with gloves on...I still have problems with that sometimes, but I'm getting better. Clipping and unclipping my reg and my lights... I just grab a diet pepsi, sit in front of West Wing, throw on the BP, and snap and unsnap throughout the show. Wifie thinks I'm a dork... but its OK. its working.

Sharpening your awareness - go through and read your logs, and become aware of your situational gas usage. I know that I use significantly more gas in sub 53 degree temps. In temps 54 - 64 its all about the same... my bod just gets gas hungry at 53 and my SAC goes up. I would never have known this if I didn't make a point to track it down.

NON-SKILLS

Fitness - working on your abs (the core muscles) is important. Squats, back, and others. Good stuff every week here, at www.divefitness.com Go to the local dive site and look at all the people struggling to get their gear on, walk around in it, or even move it. Its sad. Strength, flexibility, endurance - they're very underestimated parts of diving. Over the last year I have worked very hard to improve general fitness, with a slant on those things that have a direct benefit to my diving. its made a huge difference.

Gear - inspect, tighten, clean, replace. Out of water days is are great time for this....

OTHER STUFF

Build a drysuit dryer. High divegeek factor, moderate MacGyver factor. Another reason for your wife / SO to go :rolleyes:

Make a couple of mini-knives.

Build the drybox that kills.

Lose the plastic straps and bungee your rig

Go knock the boot off your tank and see what's really going on down there... and while your at it, peel off all those lame stickers.

Make the perfect light head cover

Go through and get your log up to date. Don't keep everything on your PC. I carry my log everwhere I dive. Its as much a dive narrative as a dive log. I have 5 years of memories in that thing.

Get a paint pen and label your stuff

eBay your snorkle and that 3-window mask with the clear skirt

Most of all - keep your head in the game. Read, plan, and look forward to your next dive / trip.

Ken

SeaJay once bubbled...

Different people choose different tables for different reasons. The bottom line is that they're all very similar, and what's more important than "which" table is that you use the same one consistently and know it well.

So yes... If you were taught NAUI and have that table available, then by all means, memorize that one.

For me, a good method of memorization has not been to actually memorize the numbers, but rather, to use the "Rule of 120" and memorize the deviation instead.

The "Rule of 120" states that bottom time + depth = 120. At 60 feet, then, you've got 60 minutes to your NDL. At 80 feet, you've got 40 minutes, etc. However, depending on the table you use, there is some deviation from that, especially once you get towards the extremes... For example, you do not have "0" minutes at 120, and you do not have 110 minutes at 10'. :) For me, it's easier to remember the "curve" that the table really outlines by remembering how far off the Rule of 120 is at these extremes.

This exercise will not only get you thinking more in terms of "curve" than "tables," but might also save your butt in a pinch... As well as making it easier to plan quickly and easily - and more importantly, identify glaring problems with your plan that might not be so obvious to those who aren't completely skilled with the numbers.

:) Sorry, "deco theory" is the subject, not the title. :) What I've been able to get my hands on has been mostly articles and scholarly publications, research papers and notations from actual experiences. Rarely, I believe, is anyone willing to risk their scientific reputation by writing a book - deco theory is something that the top scientists in the world admit that they really don't have a firm grasp on yet. But an overall understanding is attainable. From a diver's perspective, I believe that a good overall understanding is more important for a practical application than is hard evidence. You don't need to know down to the second or foot of depth when you're going to "fizz." What you need to know is whether or not you should leave the bottom at 10 minutes or 20. Or whether to hang at 40 feet or 15.

I've got some of FifthD's videos linked from my site... Go to http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org and click on "Videos" then "Training Videos." There's lots of good stuff in there, including the frog kick.

I have to be honest, though... The frog is something that looks easy... Yet the right technique is often elusive, without you even knowing it. I recommend that you get with your local GUE guy and ask for some coaching. An underwater video shot of yourself will be impressively helpful.

That's just awesome. You're lucky to have that resource. Let us know how it goes.

The "Fundamentals" book can be gotten from Extreme Exposure, a well-known dive shop in the middle of cave country. Their website is http://www.extreme-exposure.com . I don't think they have the book listed, but if you call them and ask for it, they'll send it to you.

Awesome book.

Ha! there never is. :) However, with a high speed connection and a computer, you can entertain yourself with hours of diving in the "Videos" section of Deep South Divers.

Very cool. Sounds like you've got all the right things in place... Boat, vehicle, instructor... As well as funding for future stuff. I wish we all had this luxury.

Thanks, Scott. :) Glad y'all let me share...

All good info. Thanks for your time and experience.

As soon as I get back from my class I will do an update.

Scott

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Scott the book you're looking for can be found on GUE's website....here...

As for prepping for a dive, or pool session for that matter....you can do a few things...

1 - plan your dive....for instance..."what skills do I want to work on", "what order do I want to do them in", "how much time should I spend on this drill before I consider myself frustrated and try again at a later point", etc.

2 - Get very familiar with your gear...put it together, take it apart....find a comfortable place to put everything....think about where things would be convenient to get to or look at in an emergency, etc.

3 - Talk to your instructor/mentor....I use the term mentor b/c you really should be training with someone who has a diving philosiphy common to yours and is willing to work with you...no matter how slow you might want to go. Ask questions, talk about your diving goals, etc, etc.

4 - Lastly...don't rush into things...diving is a sport where you can take your time....the ocean is going to be there tomorrow, and the day after that. Be patient...not everything will come easily.

5 - MY suggestion for "deco theory" or "the rule of 120" or whatever you want to call it for you would be to just forget about it for the time being. Yes, you have to know how to keep yourself from getting bent, just use common sense in that regard...follow what you were taught, but don't get yourself all caught up on something you have no formal training with. The time will come when you realize what it is you want to know about tables, or NDL limits, or whatever rule you want to use, and you'll make your own decision based on that.

More great information, excellent reply.

Thanks Big-T

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Although you asked specifically about skills, we all rushed to deluge you with tons of non-skill stuff, too. Its just our way around here sometimes. Here some thoughts. Remember, I'm a DIR weenie, so your mileage may vary:

SKILLS

Fin Control - specifically building muscle memory. Get on your belly in front of a mirror and work through kicks. Arch your back, and work through them. You will find when you get in the water, you'll stop dropping your knees on your frog kick if you practice on the floor, bed or other level surface. My wife steps overme to get into the closet, as she shakes her head. I don't mind - its working for me.

Snapping - more muscle memory stuff. Reaching back to snap and unsnap your SPG with gloves on...I still have problems with that sometimes, but I'm getting better. Clipping and unclipping my reg and my lights... I just grab a diet pepsi, sit in front of West Wing, throw on the BP, and snap and unsnap throughout the show. Wifie thinks I'm a dork... but its OK. its working.

Sharpening your awareness - go through and read your logs, and become aware of your situational gas usage. I know that I use significantly more gas in sub 53 degree temps. In temps 54 - 64 its all about the same... my bod just gets gas hungry at 53 and my SAC goes up. I would never have known this if I didn't make a point to track it down.

NON-SKILLS

Fitness - working on your abs (the core muscles) is important. Squats, back, and others. Good stuff every week here, at www.divefitness.com Go to the local dive site and look at all the people struggling to get their gear on, walk around in it, or even move it. Its sad. Strength, flexibility, endurance - they're very underestimated parts of diving. Over the last year I have worked very hard to improve general fitness, with a slant on those things that have a direct benefit to my diving. its made a huge difference.

Gear - inspect, tighten, clean, replace. Out of water days is are great time for this....

OTHER STUFF

Build a drysuit dryer. High divegeek factor, moderate MacGyver factor. Another reason for your wife / SO to go :rolleyes:

Make a couple of mini-knives.

Build the drybox that kills.

Lose the plastic straps and bungee your rig

Go knock the boot off your tank and see what's really going on down there... and while your at it, peel off all those lame stickers.

Make the perfect light head cover

Go through and get your log up to date. Don't keep everything on your PC. I carry my log everwhere I dive. Its as much a dive narrative as a dive log. I have 5 years of memories in that thing.

Get a paint pen and label your stuff

eBay your snorkle and that 3-window mask with the clear skirt

Most of all - keep your head in the game. Read, plan, and look forward to your next dive / trip.

Ken

Another great reply. Thanks for the links.

You have to see the look on the kids faces when they come into the garage and see me fully suited up. It's priceless.

OK promise not to laugh............While reading The last dive the other night I actually brought my BC/Tank/Reg upstairs next to me to breath on while reading the diving parts to see if I could relate to what they were going through. When my wife came down the hall and saw me I'm sure she was ready to have me commited. :D

Scott

Scott M once bubbled...
When my wife came down the hall and saw me I'm sure she was ready to have me commited. :D

Scott

Although Jaye dives, she's not over-the-top into it like I sort of am these days... I think I know the look you recieved...!

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Although Jaye dives, she's not over-the-top into it like I sort of am these days... I think I know the look you recieved...!

K
I know what look he got....my wife can't dive (inner ear issues) but she is adament about one day taking a vacation together somewhere she can at least snorkel...however, it's not going to happen any time soon....she's like 9 months pregnant with child number 2, and our little one now is 15 months old.

Back
Top Bottom