Solo dive question, max depth 25'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought he was asking about the dive site.

" Is a site like this ok for solo diving?"
Kinda yes and no i guess, but that is in my opinion exactly the type of question you need to be able to figure out the answer to yourself if you want to go solo diving...

That indicates he's never been there before doesn't it? Or at least is not familiar with the site, no? I'm not a certified solo diver, but isn't one of the guidelines of solo diving to start off at sites one is familiar with? Like night diving but then I'm not certified for night diving either.

Tigerman and I are of the same mindset if you have to ask don't do the dive. Or answer your own question(s). What is solo diving if not planning and executing a dive? Just diving alone is solo diving? I suppose in the strict definition of the word but not IMO as it relates to diving.

I dive sites on occasion I've never dived before solo. My 1st dive in NC my buddy had a mild case of the shakes and thumbed the dive. I told the guy I handed him off to I'd hook up with someone diving already, since we were a big group from RI and I was using IDs he said ok. I did a solo dive on the Aeolus that day a nice peaceful dive as I remember it.

I solo there A LOT.
From your post..you are already familiar with the site which is helpful for obvious reasons.
If you are comfortable with your basic scuba skills..go for it.

IMHO a local shore dive, solo, is safer though. Not as much boat traffic nearby, currents to deal with (if you get under bridge too soon or too late)
Also, I have been hooked twice there by fishermen
Good times

Flame away SB'ers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That indicates he's never been there before doesn't it? Or at least is not familiar with the site, no?

NO! Read the OP. He's dove there multiple times with buddies that have moved. He's completely familiar with the site. Read the OP befor replying.

Tigerman and I are of the same mindset if you have to ask don't do the dive. Or answer your own question(s).

Not so sure this works well. Ever hear of someone dead or in the hospital just after saying "Hey, watch this"? They answered their own question.

Well since you have essentially blown off the buddy system why do you ask?

Solo diving seems to evolve in phases...
1) New diver, it's taboo, I need a buddy because they said so
2) Novice diver, this is simple, what could go wrong.
3) Moderate experience, perhaps rescue certified. A good buddy can be very important and I need to be a good buddy as well
4) Seasoned Solo Candidate, I have a broad understanding of the risks and have the skills, experience and equipment to mitigate those risks.

I'm hearing a 2 here.

"Hey, watch this" is not a question, its a statement. And yeah, its been said by a lot of people ending up in the hospital who has not asked themselves the right questions...
Hell, even people who HAVE asked themselves the right questions has ended up injured or killed, but analyzing the risks beforehand definetly improve your odds of making it

Really two questions being answered in this thread - can solo diving be safe, and why would you want to solo dive when you could find a buddy?

Solo diving - especially at 25 feet - can certainly be safe. No need to rehash all that here, there's a whole forum, a million threads, and at least one agency (two, depending on how you describe "solo") that provides a card. Like any type of diving, there are risks involved. Nothing we do can make those risks disappear, but by training, gear and the appropriate mindset, we can minimize those risks.

As for why you would want to solo dive, I would FAR prefer to do this dive as a solo dive, especially if I had my macro lens. I sometimes like to spend 20 minutes on one timid subject. I'm happy not to have to be constantly worrying about my buddy getting bored, etc...

Also, do keep in mind that the first 25ft is the most dangerous 25ft there is with regards to gas expansion...

I'd add that (apparently) this site should be dove at slack tide. That could make it a bit more dangerous than a site with no current. I'm not sure what a buddy could do for you if you got caught in current though. Maybe someone to talk to while waiting for rescue or the long surface swim once you get beside the current.

Also, what Tigerman says about the first 25 feet is the same with a buddy or without.

I think you said that on occasion you and your buddies split up so you have, in fact, been doing solo diving. I'll +1 the pony - get one, learn how to use it, and practice till you are comfortable. Much of that can be done in your living room. Also, I'd suggest getting the SDI Solo Diving Manual and studying it. Can't hurt and I found it very informative. I still review it before every diving season long after I got my card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom