Solo dive question, max depth 25'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Others take a different approach.I use goggle earth when planning some dives among other resources for example. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Goggle Earth..." must be a version for divers, AfterDark!

As for solo diving in shallow water, keep in mind that the greatest pressure differential occurs in the upper 30 m. I've dived solo since my first time on SCUBA 50+ years ago (only one kit for three of us back then). I do it today due to lack of regular buddies (the divers here are mostly dive professionals and are working).

My most important recommendation regarding solo is that one should have an idea of how they respond to emergency situations. If you panic, I don't recommend it. If you remain calm and address the problem while effecting an appropriate emergency response instinctively, then all might be fine.

Although I have done many solo dives to depths of 200 ft, almost all of mine today are much shallower (especially at night when 50 ft is my max depth). I know I can safely ascend from depths of 80-90 ft, so that puts me in a pretty safe depth (and the majority of the dive is spent at depths of about 20-30 ft). I certainly don't recommend those deep dives to anyone (even me today!)

"Goggle Earth..." must be a version for divers, AfterDark!

As for solo diving in shallow water, keep in mind that the greatest pressure differential occurs in the upper 30 m. I've dived solo since my first time on SCUBA 50+ years ago (only one kit for three of us back then). I do it today due to lack of regular buddies (the divers here are mostly dive professionals and are working).

I am sure you meant 30 ft

All dive buddies moved, want to dive. I enjoy Blue Heron Bridge in Florida. A shore dive with lots of life. Max depth is 25', most areas are at 20' so ditching would be easy. I do trust my gear and ALWAYS dive safe, never exceeding my certifications.

i have the buddy system in my head, but often we would split up anyway. What are people's thoughts on this? Is a site like this ok for solo diving?

1) Is solo diving allowed?

Yes, if the diver has:

- The mindset
- The equipment
- The experience

SDI requires 100 dive minimum to take the course. There is a reason for this.

2) Is it ok to solo dive at BHB?

Yes absolutely. For the diver that meets the solo diver criteria.

I would and have dove the bridge solo several times, including a night dive. And given my experience and familiarity with that dive site, I dive it without all the redundant gear that I would use on a deeper or less familiar dive site. Do I recommend this for others? No. It is a personal choice.

The BHB is done at slack high tide for both current and viz. So in general the current should not be an issue for his dives but navigation is. The risk is going into the boat channels if you have poor navigation skill. This is a factor with or without a buddy. I think the new snorkel trail at the bridge will make this less of a problem.

For the future, if you decide to pursue solo diver certification, David Finch with Narcosis (personal recommendation) or Jupiter Dive Center (by reputation) are good options in the WPB area.

"BRIEFING!!!
So for this dive were just gonna follow the snorkel trail out..."?

Kinda yes and no i guess, but that is in my opinion exactly the type of question you need to be able to figure out the answer to yourself if you want to go solo diving...
Tigerman and I are of the same mindset if you have to
ask don't do the dive.
Have either of you ever even BEEN there?!? Seriously, the biggest risk is not the diving but the traffic, and the people on the surface. Maybe you should be familar with the site first.

To the OP; ignore these two. There's alot of good info here, but not from these two who've never been there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need to have been there (and i probably never will), to be of the opinion that if you need to ask others if a dive should be done, you should sit it out....
I would say the same for any site, wether I've been there or not. If your'e not able to make a decision on the safety of any given dive yourself, you shouldn't do it.

Oh, and yeah, I DID read the op the way that he HAD been there SEVERAL TIMES, but was unsure about wether or not it was ok to do it solo..

I don't need to have been there (and i probably never will), to be of the opinion that if you need to ask others if a dive should be done, you should sit it out....
Like I said, the assumption that asking questions means you shouldn't do it is asinine and rude. He’s asking opinions, not permission.

I highly suggest you look up this site. I did three dives there a few weeks ago. Max depth: 12 feet. There are places there where your emergency plan can be as simple as “Stand Up”.

This isn’t a challenging site. It can be dived solo with minimal risk. Look it up; you’ll learn why we’re chuckling at you.

"BRIEFING!!!
So for this dive were just gonna follow the snorkel trail out..."?

I don't need to have been there (and i probably never will), to be of the opinion that ...//..

No but it would probably help if you also intend to give advice for navigating the site. The bridge/beach borders the site to the north, land to east, and now the snorkel trail to the south (if you go south past the trail you are headed to the boat channel) giving navigational boundaries that anyone with even a modicum of skills can follow...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom