Solo dive question, max depth 25'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said, the assumption that asking questions means you shouldn't do it is asinine and rude. He’s asking opinions, not permission.

I highly suggest you look up this site. I did three dives there a few weeks ago. Max depth: 12 feet. There are places there where your emergency plan can be as simple as “Stand Up”.

This isn’t a challenging site. It can be dived solo with minimal risk. Look it up; you’ll learn why we’re chuckling at you.
The op did NOT ask questions about how to do the dive, how to navigate or where to go from, he asked "What are people's thoughts on this? Is a site like this ok for solo diving?" and my opinion is that untill you can answer wether "a site like this is ok for solo diving" by yourself then you should not be solo diving (there) yet as you need to be able to make the decisions for your dive SOLO as in BY YOURSELF. When you're ready to make those decisions by your self is when a site is ok for solo diving, not when someone else says it will be fine.

I have a large freshwater lake just outside of my appartement, where there are no entanglement hazards, no currents, no boat traffic, no tides, no swell, no fishermen and the max depth on the part thats easilly accessible from here is 12-15m, but I STILL think that its not an ok place to solo dive, unless you can make the decision for yourself that it is.

I have a large freshwater lake just outside of my appartement, where there are no entanglement hazards, no currents, no boat traffic, no tides, no swell, no fishermen and the max depth on the part thats easilly accessible from here is 12-15m, but I STILL think that its not an ok place to solo dive, unless you can make the decision for yourself that it is.
There's a big difference from a 4m max depth dive on a populated beach with a lifeguard with many other divers and a site three to four times deeper without other people and other divers around. See if you can spot the difference.

The op did NOT ask questions about how to do the dive, how to navigate or where to go from, he asked "What are people's thoughts on this? Is a site like this ok for solo diving?" and my opinion is that untill you can answer wether "a site like this is ok for solo diving" by yourself then you should not be solo diving (there) yet as you need to be able to make the decisions for your dive SOLO as in BY YOURSELF. When you're ready to make those decisions by your self is when a site is ok for solo diving, not when someone else says it will be fine.

Oh, so one of the criteria for solo diving is to make your own assumptions as to whether a site is safe to solo or not? Good idea; because we are all clearly perfect people who can assess every hazard and never overlook a possible problem. :rolleyes:

Maybe in your world people are perfect, but that isn't the truth. A smart person asks questions. ... The OP is right for asking about this; but that in no way implies that he is not ready to solo dive the site. It means he's just asking opinions.

To assume that, because he has the common sense to solicit outside opinions, he is not ready is asinine and rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dive BHB solo probably 90% of the time. Most of the time I'm near the bottom in 8-15 ft taking pics or vid. But even at 25 ft....if you have a problem getting to the surface by yourself, you need more training. Remember: You're the only one responsible for your safety.

I, too, recommend the SDI Solo Diving Manual and also enjoyed the course. The mindfulness that comes with the Rescue Diver course training can also be helpful.

Quaglinoman, one thing that makes it hard to advise you is that in your 'About Me' section of your profile, there's not much other than you've been certified around 2 years and deem yourself as average diver. As they say, we 'don't know what we don't know,' so it'd be helpful to know what you do know.

What's your lifetime dive count?

What courses/cert.s have you done?

What dive conditions have you dove?

In addition to the reading that solo manual, one might suggest an SMB in case you're swept off somewhere and need rescue, a redundant air source (pony bottle with 2nd reg.) in case you get hung underwater when your main air system craps out, at least 2 cutting tools in different, easily reached places in case of entanglement (I picked up a Trilobyte from Jim Lapenta on the forum, and on my BCD webbing it's so low-profile it's like it's not there, but a fine product), and don't push your limits when diving alone.

Richard.

Solo diving can be fun, rewarding and less stressful. You can be spontaneous in your decision to dive, keep your own pace, and not be concerned about your dive buddy having things go wrong, But the ground rules for it should be pretty strictly interpreted.

In general:
Do you have - say 100 or more dives? If not you lack the requisite general experience to dive solo. It's not just about number but quality of dives, proper development of muscle memory for your gear, ability to adapt to underwater anomalies and circumstances. It's all about comfort and skill development that only comes from repetitive doing.

Did you take a solo class, read the books, understand the issues? Some may disagree but I think for most- a solo class is a necessity before diving solo- you don't know what you don't know.

Next, Do you have all the redundant gear needed? Proper size main tank with sufficient reserve- probably 1/3 larger than usual and follow rule of thirds while diving to be safe. Second sustainable air source/reg (say min 30cu pony)? Do you have a spare mask, spare cutting tools (depending on environment - spare lights), two depth gauges/bottom timers/dive computers? Mechanical SPG? Secondary buoyancy device (dual bladder, lift bag & safety reel, etc), surface diving marker & reel?

If you don't have ALL the gear for solo diving you have no buddy redundancy and are better off not diving solo. Yea it costs a lot... What's your life worth?

And finally, familiarity with dive site, early on in solo diving best to stick to sites you've dive a dozen or more times already with a buddy.

At that site slack tide only, stay out of the boat lanes, and as I learned at night, remember to secure your fins when they are off and either attach them to your bc or slip them far up your forearm as you exit the beach or when you hit the second dip on the crest of the wave bar, on your way out you'll always loose them to Njord/Posiedon/Neptune.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Let me start by saying that I solo dive a lot and do it very deep also. Solo diving is not a "no no" to me and I certainly do not want to be the scuba police about it.

I firmly believe that if you are not capable and prepared to do EVERY dive solo, then you are merely using a buddy for a crutch. This is fine and dandy when you first start out and it is actually ingrained into you as you do you first courses. There is a reason for this, and there is real safety in numbers at this point in your diving.

Now for a direct response to the OP. Blue Heron Bridge is one of the easiest sites to solo dive around and solo diving is not frowned upon by the majority of the divers there. Face the facts, as a photographer, solo diving is almost mandatory at times. I really am not trying to bust your nut sack over this, but only YOU will know if you are both comfortable enough and competent enough to do the dive safely by yourself. If you are not sure of yourself, please dive more and gain experience prior to attempting.

If you decide to pursue this adventure solo, please do 2 simple things for me:
1 - Have fun
2 - Dive safe

There's a big difference from a 4m max depth dive on a populated beach with a lifeguard with many other divers and a site three to four times deeper without other people and other divers around. See if you can spot the difference.

Oh, so one of the criteria for solo diving is to make your own assumptions as to whether a site is safe to solo or not? Good idea; because we are all clearly perfect people who can assess every hazard and never overlook a possible problem. :rolleyes:

Maybe in your world people are perfect, but that isn't the truth. A smart person asks questions. ... The OP is right for asking about this; but that in no way implies that he is not ready to solo dive the site. It means he's just asking opinions.

To assume that, because he has the common sense to solicit outside opinions, he is not ready is asinine and rude.

First off the OP stated 20-25ft which is 7,5m and the 12-15m I talk of is MAX, with most being in mentioned 7,5mish range, but that's utterly beyond the point. The point is there wont be any nasty surprises stopping you from going up or chopping your legs up when they use the marker for slalom practice.
Also, 12m or 6m.. You can do a safe ascent from both if you're free to ascend, even with no gas - but you can't from either if you're entangled or otherwise prevented. Heck, Id much rather be at 12m than 2m if theres overhead traffic.

No, I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but YOU are responsible your safety and YOU are the one who can and need to decide if you should do the dive, nobody else.
Nobody said asking questions about conditions or researching a site shouldn't be done, me and some others simply said that if you need to ask IF YOU CAN DO IT, you shouldn't as you're obviously less than convinced about the whole thing and you need more preparation.
"Is this a good thing to do?" is not such preparation other than seeking others "trust me, you'll be fine"...

imagejpg1_zpsf660e7b0.jpg

"Goggle Earth..." must be a version for divers, AfterDark!

As for solo diving in shallow water, keep in mind that the greatest pressure differential occurs in the upper 30 m. I've dived solo since my first time on SCUBA 50+ years ago (only one kit for three of us back then). I do it today due to lack of regular buddies (the divers here are mostly dive professionals and are working).

My most important recommendation regarding solo is that one should have an idea of how they respond to emergency situations. If you panic, I don't recommend it. If you remain calm and address the problem while effecting an appropriate emergency response instinctively, then all might be fine.

Although I have done many solo dives to depths of 200 ft, almost all of mine today are much shallower (especially at night when 50 ft is my max depth). I know I can safely ascend from depths of 80-90 ft, so that puts me in a pretty safe depth (and the majority of the dive is spent at depths of about 20-30 ft). I certainly don't recommend those deep dives to anyone (even me today!)

No just the regular google earth. Gives me a birds eye view of the configuration of the shore line, with that figuring the action of the water, waves, current, depth etc.. Oh you mean I hit the G 2x's instead of the O! Oh how clever Dr. Bill! :)

---------- Post added May 11th, 2014 at 07:37 PM ----------

... I gave one example not an exclusive, compulsory action to use google earth. The point you missed is that solo diving is not only diving alone but also doing your own planning and gathering your own info.

We even have a SB site dedicated to BHB, that is the 1st place I'd go to get info to plan a dive at BHB, then google earth and then to the charts. I'd visit the site pre-dive to determine if the information I gathered matched what I saw at the site. A trip to the LDS would probably be in order too. Lastly I'd talk to any divers I met coming out after a dive, but that's just me. Others my plan differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom