Solo shore diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that I have a "ATTITUDE" ... I just can't believe what some people write.... It not based on anything other than nonsense.... We have diver's that have "NEVER" did any solo diving giving advice on how to do it...:confused: :banghead: It would be like me trying to tell someone how to mix and dive tri-mix or a re-breather.. I would not even open my mouth... I would read and listen and learn....

Jim....
It just looks like so much chest pounding from where I sit. Case in point: your reaction to a couple of posts back where someone obviously jokingly (it was obvious to me, anyway) advised the OP to borrow a pony bottle from Dandy Don for a solo shore dive.

Some folks do not want to take on the risk of diving solo; so what? You apparently do it all the time; big deal. Do you really think you are going to change anyone's mind by declaring that the people who don't want to risk it are all pussies? :D

That's how it reads to me, anyway.

It just looks like so much chest pounding from where I sit. Case in point: your reaction to a couple of posts back where someone obviously jokingly (it was obvious to me, anyway) advised the OP to borrow a pony bottle from Dandy Don for a solo shore dive.

Some folks do not want to take on the risk of diving solo; so what? You apparently do it all the time; big deal. Do you really think you are going to change anyone's mind by declaring that the people who don't want to risk it are all pussies? :D

That's how it reads to me, anyway.

I don't think people should do things that " THEY " feel is not for them... I would never push someone to do anything... That does not mean I wouldn't help someone push their limits in something " THEY " want to do.... But like always, They can walk at any time and would never hear a bad thing said by me....

This thread is about a novice diver that " WANTS " to solo dive in a very low risk environment.... A dive that many have done over the years... I didn't go back and reread every post, But don't recall any solo divers calling this dangerous or outside the scope of what he should be able to handle.... The ones telling him " NO " have no solo diving knowledge of their own....

As to the pony bottle.... I read it again and still missed the joke... Hope this clears the air a little.....:wink:

Jim...

The ones telling him " NO " have no solo diving knowledge of their own.... Jim...

Now you don't really know that do you? I was one of the ones saying "not yet" and I have plenty of solo diving experience in that very location.

Now you don't really know that do you? I was one of the ones saying "not yet" and I have plenty of solo diving experience in that very location.
Please reread my post......

"I didn't go back and reread every post, But don't recall any solo divers calling this dangerous or outside the scope of what he should be able to handle"

Jim....

.... You should read John Chatterton's Blog about being a self reliance diver...

... And have fun....:)

Jim....

Jim,

I went to what I thought was his blog but could not find anything specifically on "self reliance deiver". I did find the stories about the BFK and Tiny Bubbles very interesting, especially his thoughts on small doubles. Do you have a link for the Self Reliance Diver blog?

Thanks,

~Michael~

Jim,

I went to what I thought was his blog but could not find anything specifically on "self reliance deiver". I did find the stories about the BFK and Tiny Bubbles very interesting, especially his thoughts on small doubles. Do you have a link for the Self Reliance Diver blog?

Thanks,

~Michael~
Here the link... ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network - Self Reliance and Tech Diving

Plus the cool video of him solo diving the Andrea Doria on air....:shocked2:

Jim...

Very interesting read. This guy has some serious skills. I could dive the next 10 years and this guy would still wipe the floor with me :).

Very interesting read. This guy has some serious skills. I could dive the next 10 years and this guy would still wipe the floor with me :).

If you remember the line in his blog.... I am a professional diver, and only a part time instructor/student.

We never stop learning, The minute you think you know it all.... Time to eat some humble pie....:wink:

Good luck and be safe .... Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom