Some storm, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tim! I was just going by what the power company told me about the Maui Power situation. They said the whole island was out of power but only mentioned: hospitals, airport, upcountry, and central maui. I'm glad you didn't suffer any outages... about 2 hours after the power came back on we were out of power again for another 8 hours...Anyway, sorry for venting and I am thankful for the restoration of power!

Sean

When the power went out after the Earthquake last year people didn't know what to do with themselves....

Kona was real messy. Power outages have been occurring sporadically for 2 days. Ours went out for several hours on Tuesday and yesterday from 9am 'til 3:30 am today.

Yesterday was nothing compared to last Wednesday. Here's a link to some video of our yard after that storm.. Flash flood damage - Brightcove (by the way, brightcove is a real good alternative to youtube, their video seems clearer). The streams in the yard started up again after 20 minutes of rain yesterday, but didn't tear the place up any further. We were sitting in the dark wondering what we'd wake up to though.

Yeah, weird thing about the quake last year (other than the unnecessary power outage) was that our cell phones didn't work and we were on the mainland getting married. This stormy weather isn't much, but it is fun seeing everybody get up in a panic over what's normal weather elsewhere :)

Matt

I have friends in Kihei that are still without power this morning ... been nearly 20 hrs now for them...

Tim,

If you go out diving, let us know about visibility. I'm sure it is pretty bad, but you never know.

I walked out to the driveway earlier to see what the ocean looked like ... there is a band of mud extending 3/4 mile offshore as far as I could see :( don't think diving's gonna be much good for the next few days yet until the silt settles ... though I could get in some low vis practice at least - any buddies want to join me? :wink:

Aloha, Tim

The good thing is we didn't get flooded like last time.

It came from the southeast, yes? isn't that kind of unusual?

We woke up at about 3 am on the ridge with the wind howling! I think it must have been like 70 mph up here. My chaise lounges were blowing all over and I thought the umbrellas might snap off the stems even though they were down.
My BR windows were bowing with the gusts, so I cracked them a little and of course JB and I had a big debate on the physics of that--who has been through the most storms, etc, lol.

JB just sat outside staring at his Ducati like it was a newborn baby that might die. I told him to pull it inside if he was so traumatized by the thought of it blowing over. He took the cover off, I guess so the wind would catch it like a sail. I am surprised I have not seen my yard crawling with centipedes.

My dog got as little nuts too.

tell me, what would happen if you were on an inbound flight? like we were the night before? We had a big discussion about how much fuel commercial jets have and what the options would be.

We woke up at about 3 am on the ridge with the wind howling! I think it must have been like 70 mph up here.

My dog got as little nuts too.QUOTE]

Yes, I was dog (and cat) sitting up on the hill in the Wilhomena rise area. Very windy there, too. The dog went bark crazy every time the thunder sounded.

By the way, GREAT elfing. JB didn't appear to be enjoying it as much as the rest of the family.

It came from the southeast, yes? isn't that kind of unusual?

I guess that is why we didn't feel anything. I am on the northwest side of Punchbowl. Normal winds (trades) whip through Kaupo Gap and through my house creating quite the wind tunnel. Trades, in the winter, batter the plants on my lanai and routinely strip the occasional roof tile - the flexible tar ones. 25 - 30 miles an hour gusts are not that uncommon at my place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom