Some storm, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't looked at the tides yet, but swiming back to the Sheraton (Ka'anapali beach) when the tide is going out can be very hard for strong snorkelers, much more so for average middle aged Americans. I have pulled snorkel visitors around the corner both in kayak and when free diving, and each time they claimed I saved their life. Truth is all they needed to do was swim with the current a while then into North Ka'anapali beach.

Last winter I had a one sided conversation with hotel security (after the kayak tow), mentioning that it would be wise to warn and patrol during certain conditions. They didn't argue with me, they just turned a deaf ear to me. I believe their lawyers have advised them to stay away from the situation due liability. Pretty sad that it is safer for the Sheraton to not help the visitors be safe. Maui County is also culpable because their water saftey personel know even better than most how dangerous that area is.

When looking out from the beach to Black Rock, wind blowing to the right (north), above medium small swell and outbound tide make a very strong north current at the point beyond the jump rock. IIRC, there are deaths there nearly every year.

...They didn't argue with me, they just turned a deaf ear to me. I believe their lawyers have advised them to stay away from the situation due liability. Pretty sad that it is safer for the Sheraton to not help the visitors be safe...

Sounds like the first resort I worked security at where we were told not to perform CPR if needed or allowed to have an AED on property due to "liability"... We didn't listen, though fortunately it was never needed (boss kept an AED in his car just in case) Fortunately that changed after a year or so ... sad how making things less safe is supossed to be the "right" thing to do :(

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom