Some storm, huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some parts of Maui Meadows are still without power, where I live included. After the earthquakes last year my landlord got a generator. We have been practicing for a real emergency by opperating various electronic devices. Cable came back on around 3:30 PM and the wifi finally got it's turn at the juice.

The news will have some good footage. There were stream crossings in Maui Meadows yesterday that were only passable by truck! Other places were even worse. South Maui ocean looks bad for a week brown.

Good hunting conditions for the Tigers.

YA JUST HAD TO SAY IT.

lol

let me know if you see any gill slits six inches apart glide by your mask, you low viz lover sick-os. Rockjock included.

hmmm - ya' mean I might have a good chance of seeing one of my top 10 list critter? I gotta find a buddy to go out in this muck ... :D

Tim, they say the odds go way up if you swim with a dog.

Something about their electric energy field being more chaotic or something....

Just minutes after we passed 24 hours without power (~9:30 AM), it went back off. Same thing happened at 11:30 last night. The news people say 98% of Maui customers have power, but some of Maui Meadows (above Wailea) is part of the 2%.

I am very impressed with our PowerWise 6.5hp, 3000 watt generator. We have been powering 2 fridges, 2 TV's, PS3, theater surround sound, various laptop and cel phone chargers, as well as occasional coffee maker, toaster and desk lamp sessions. Solar hot water heating would be good right now, as we do have scattered sunshine and our next showers will not be as warm as yesterdays.

If I was currently surviving financially on ocean recreation, the holidays would be an even tighter budget than they will be on the dole. :11:

Looking down on the South Maui ocean is like looking at a parfait. From this angle I can't see this mornings near shore muck, but the high winds seem to have swept yesterdays out to sea with some blue water now between it and shore. Beyond Molokini is a green water swath pushing west (with the Kona's) and west Kaho'olawe is spewing a thick reddish runnoff. :coffee:

One of the snorkle/whale watch boats is out at Molokini (Ocean Odyssey?), but they are the only vessel I've seen. On second look (from the roof) the green water beyond Molokini is the outer murk from Kaho'olawe. It is very close to the backside of the crater. Vis is likely already well below the typical 100' and when the green gets there it looks to go down near 20' (long distance estimate). :D

I can see the tops of the Kea Lani resort from here and the color of the water just off Wailea is pretty good compared to yesterday. Vis at the St. Anthony looks to be decent, if you could get there. Currents are probably pretty strong. :no

Oh boy, powers back on (for now)! :rofl3:

From my driveway the ocean looks like a brown and blue oreo cookie. There is a band of brown extending for at least a mile off shore, then blue for a couple of miles, then brown again around Lanai ... I don't think it's going to be diveable for a bit however :(

Aloha, Tim

As long as it clears up by the 25th eh Sean?

Though I'd like to try the Carth one more time before then :wink:

It's pouring again here in Lahaina too ... and it looks like I'll be off work again this next week by those weather reports...

Last time we had a heavy rain like this I remember going outside and seeing the neighbors kids sitting in a little inflatible raft in the middle of a giant puddle in the yard - good thing that boat only had 4" of draft :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom