Sound off!! Whats your favorite Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson:
Apeks ATX50 currently...but lusting after the Black Pearl :)
Sherwood Blizzard for the Pony

Legend LX Supreme -- Departments' Choice

Scubapro X650/MK25 -- The wife's choice

Paul in VT

Now am using a Poseidon Xtream Dive with an Xtream Octo...Gift from the wife :)
moved the Apeks ATX50 to the Pony

They are not kidding about the minimal work of breathing when using the Poseidon :)

Paul in VT

I started with Dacor Pacers, tried Sherwood, next it was Scubapro Mk2/R380, Mk20/S600, MK25/X650. They were all good (I has some issues with the X650 though). On a PADI specialty dive I had the chance to try an Atomic M1... SOLD! I listed all of my SP gear on eBay and replaced it with 2 M1s.

I selected the M1 for my main, and back-up, regulator systems because of the sealed (with Christolube) first stages. I am a memeber of a police rescue/recovery dive team and we frequently have to dive in cold and "less than clean" water.

I purchased a B2/B2 octo for my teenage son to use (on vacations mostly) as it seems to the best option for all around recreational diving.

What I liked about Atomic was:
Quality fit and finish (these are old Scubapro guys who went on their own).
Easy to breath in all positions and comfortable (dry even upside down)
Automatic venturie control adjusts to depth (no knob to play with)
Adjustable cracking pressure knob (mine goes from free flow to a "stiff" breather).
Wide exhaust tee helps keep bubbles out of your face (good for photography).
A 2 year service schedule (warranty not dependant on maintaining the schedule).

To expand on the last item... I use my M1/SS1 Ti on a regular basis (dive team) so annual service is not an issue for my main regulator. However my back-up M1/M1 octo, and my son's B2, see limited if any use as they are primarily used on vacations. In the past I found myself having to pay to overhaul regs that had been used very little, or not at all, even though the IPs were fine. IMHO those regs didn't need to be serviced, but I still had to spend the cash just to keep the SP warranty in force (annual SP service required). Atomics new seat design makes their 2 year service schedule for the T,M and B series regulators a better option. The down side is you don't get free parts. Note the Z1 is a 1 year service schedule. If you don't use your regs enough to require annual service the extra savings for service on Atomics can even out the purchase cost in a few years. My choice wasn't ALL about money because I love the way the regulator breathes... but I helped.

doole:
Divematt: is there something wrong with the G250?

Hell of a reg...

Actually nothing is wrong with my G250 except with a bit water coming in once in awhile at some odd angles of diving. Also, I bought it used 2 years ago and the guy said it was 10 or 12 years old so I have no idea how old it really is. I had it serviced and so far so good. My girlfriends 1 year old Mares is an entry level reg and whistles near the surface interval around 15 feet deep. It's an Axis and doesn't breathe easily. So, I figured we'd do some research and pick up a couple sets of regs that were new and easier to breathe. Mine is adjustable, hers is not. We don't dive below 50 degrees, and I'd spend near $500 or so and she's spend near $350 or so.

You guys have been really helpful with all of your recomendations so keep them coming. I'm just getting a bit confused with sealed vs. non sealed 1st stages and the need for it. I might be one who doesn't feel the need to service our regulators EVERY year unless it's really necessary. Let me ask you all this? Forget the one or two year service agreement and tell me after how many dives should the regulator be serviced? That might help us in figuring if we want one of those that don't say to have it done every year. Heck, I have 8 tanks and hate to vis every one each year because I'm only diving 4 or 6 of them. I guess it's time to sell a couple.

The same goes for my pony reg. I use it very seldom and I'll be darned if I'm going to service it every year. Am I unsafe or foolish? Don't the # of dives matter?

Thanks again,
Matt

My girlfriends 1 year old Mares is an entry level reg and whistles near the surface interval around 15 feet deep.

What I meant to say was that it whistles at the safety stop at 15 feet not the "surface interval"!

divematt:
The same goes for my pony reg. I use it very seldom and I'll be darned if I'm going to service it every year. Am I unsafe or foolish? Don't the # of dives matter?

Yeah, I think we all hear this. The service interval thing is a tad suspicious but the problem is that there are perishable parts in there (eg anything rubber) that need to be replaced periodically. As in: REALLY need to be replaced.

I just close my eyes and think of England. :11ztongue

divematt:
3 HOURS AGO I got on this thread hoping to find an opinion on the best (or in this case) the most popular regulator. After 135 dives with a 12 year old (used) Scubapro MK10/G250 (which has never given me problems) setup I still have no freakin idea which regulator to buy next! I have read with an open mind- what all of you like//buy//swear by// try to push ///// I have to admit that there is much to research. Can anybody, with no reason to push any brand, please try to give us an honest opinion, of a regulator for warm water (above 60 deg) that would be a great choice for the $300.00 to $450.00 range (including first stage). I use a 12 year old MK10/G250 and love it. My girlfriend uses a cheap entry level Mares (which I would never buy). I'm only concerned that it's time to buy myself and my girlfriend a new setup. I don't want to hear about the problems that Scubapro has with their new X650, although I wish that they were resolved. I'm wide open to a simple/ common 3 or 4 hundred dollar setup each. I don't care about cold water freezing, free flows and all of that, as I only dive these fresh water quarry's once in a while(and stay above 47 degrees). I just want a reliable couple of setups that don't have to have 200 dives per year and a $50.00/$100.00 yearly maintenance fee (for replacement parts/labor). If there was a Consumer Reports of regulators for warm water diving for those that don't care if their regulators had (inhale pressures- I don't know the terminology) of .8 or 1.2, just let me know. I'm thinking that the level that I'm looking at is in the Scubapro level of G250/MK16 or MK25. I'd love to hear from those that have had great experiences from the other brands that can do dives from 60 degrees (fresh water) to 84 degrees (salt water). No fancy high tech dives here (yet). I seriously apologize to those with all kinds of experience and opinions about which is the best and second best. There are those of us that can still finish a dive successfully without a serious debate over who's regulator is the best. Again, any opinions on a couple of simple setups that might make the great diving experience a fun and safe vacation. Finally, who can give me a first and second stage, with an adjustable (air intake) if needed, for around $300.00 or $450.00 for water above 60 degrees?

So much thanks,
Matt
Hello Matt,

I have owned a MK10/ G250 since the late 80’s and have never had a failure with it. I still carry the MK10 in my dive bag as a back up 1st stage. There is nothing wrong with the Reg you have now. If you want to update go to a high quality dive shop that has an indoor pool and try a few different models/ brands. You be the judge. Try out the MK 25/ S600, every thing will feel very familiar and it breathes great. The bottom line is Matt- try it before you buy it. I hope this helps. Regards

Alan

Deep Sea Alan:
Hello Matt,

I have owned a MK10/ G250 since the late 80’s and have never had a failure with it. I still carry the MK10 in my dive bag as a back up 1st stage. There is nothing wrong with the Reg you have now. If you want to update go to a high quality dive shop that has an indoor pool and try a few different models/ brands. You be the judge. Try out the MK 25/ S600, every thing will feel very familiar and it breathes great. The bottom line is Matt- try it before you buy it. I hope this helps. Regards

Alan
That's a great point. I never thought that I COULD try before I buy when it came to regulators. If I could, it sure would make things easier!

Matt

divematt:
I'm just getting a bit confused with sealed vs. non sealed 1st stages and the need for it. I might be one who doesn't feel the need to service our regulators EVERY year unless it's really necessary. Let me ask you all this? Forget the one or two year service agreement and tell me after how many dives should the regulator be serviced? That might help us in figuring if we want one of those that don't say to have it done every year. Heck, I have 8 tanks and hate to vis every one each year because I'm only diving 4 or 6 of them. I guess it's time to sell a couple.

Thanks again,
Matt

Regarding the sealed vs unsealed thing. In an unsealed reg (like a MK 25) water flows through the 1st stage ambient chamber. Water as warm as 40F can freeze on contact with super chilled metal parts that are cooled by expanding air. The ice that forms in the first stage keeps the piston from closing and results in a free low at the second stage. The only cure would be to surface or shut the valve off, switch to another air source, and wait for warmer water to flow through the chamber and melt the ice before opening the valve again.

A sealed chamber (in Atomics case) is packed with Christolube and then a ruber ring is placed around the port to keep most of the water out. The Christolube transfers the ambient pressure to the first stage, instead of direct contact with the water at depth. The Christolube also helps to keep the sediment, and God knows what else, out of the chamber (remember I sometimes have to dive in water so nasty you can't even see your gauges when held in front of your mask).

Yes, there are parts that deteriorate even when not in use. Example: with most second stages the poppet is always under spring pressure against the seat. After a period of time the constant spring pressure wears a groove and causes damage. Atomic has a design that backs the poppet away when the regulator is not pressurized adding greatly to it's life span. Atomic's suggested service interval is (I believe) 2 years or 300 dives. Of course if the IP starts to creep, or you start to have freeflow problems, then it needs to be serviced. I also think that some of the O rings they use (for up to 80% NITROX) may hold up a little better than others. No proof on that though.

I have often felt that the required one year service requirement was a way to keep the liablity lawyers away from the manufactures door, and generate income for for the LDS. I check the Intermediate Pressure on my regulators every time I dive. If the IP starts to creep instead of locking up tight... they go in for service. It also depends on the enviroment you dive in. I know from seeing my regulators torn down on the bench that salt water diving can be harder on a regulator than nice clean fresh water quarry. Either way I wouldn't streatch it much past 2 years though. I'm cheap but not foolish.

BTW- to echo deep Sea Allen: I had the chance to try an Atomic M1 before I bought one (something I wish I had done before buying the X650). In my case an instructor let me try one of his. If you look around you may find someone who dives with the reg you are interested in, and you may be able to try it on a dive. This gear is too expensive to base your purchase on anything but a personal evaluation. Maybe the LDS has a demo you could try for one day. If the LDS can't help you contact the manufacturer, they may have someone you can contact. Just a thought.

divematt:
That's a great point. I never thought that I COULD try before I buy when it came to regulators. If I could, it sure would make things easier!

Matt
If you ever come to Nashville TN go to Blue Water Scuba
Regards

Alan

Back
Top Bottom