Spear Fishing in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a stake in his boat. I'm just one of his customers.

Here are a couple of the nicer fish I've shot diving with them over the past few months:

I took this cuda on the very first time out with them:
stu-cuda.jpg

This gag was right after Christmas:
stu-gag.jpg

Travis (another guy who dives with us) with a black:
travisblack04092005.jpg

Wayward Son:
I don't have a stake in his boat. I'm just one of his customers.

Here are a couple of the nicer fish I've shot diving with them over the past few months:

I took this cuda on the very first time out with them:
stu-cuda.jpg

This gag was right after Christmas:
stu-gag.jpg

Travis (another guy who dives with us) with a black:
travisblack04092005.jpg

Do you like Cuda? I have never tried to eat them, but one of the guys I dive with regularly likes them and takes one just about every time we go. They sure do stink when he guts them, though.

Wayward Son:
Yes, we like to eat cuda. No, the avatar I swiped from a friend, dunno where he got it.

You should have plenty to choose from then. On just about every dive I make, I see 20 or 30 on each wreck.

Prolly typical of what we see around PC. They go away when the water cools off, then come back once it warms. We're starting to see some agin, but it's hit or miss from one site to the next.

In FL, there is no size restriction or bag limit on cuda.

I don't think I'd shoot a cuda. Too many teeth for me, althouh eating them this far south is still ok, as far as I'm aware. We have some nice sized ones around here.

Nice fish, BTW.

Cuda? Nope, they make real nice fillets. Some people don't like to take them bc they stink. On the outside, the cleaned fillets don't stink.

I have a handicap that often becomes an advantage. I have never been able to smell anything. So I don't care what they smell like, if they eat good, I shoot them :D

Now, cuda can be toxic, but up here that's not a problem. No coral, they're safe to eat. Farther south if I were eat any, I think I'd limit myself to smaller, younger specimens that haven't had enough time to build up the toxin, but up here people eat them.

The meat is white & very firm. We have baked fillets, chunked it up & fried it, and I'm told it grills well but haven't tried that yet. I'm sure it would be good broiled, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom