Split Fin vs Straight Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins are nice for cruising reefs where your not pushing a lot of gear. They are efficient, but don't provide a lot of torque. They are fine for flutter kicks, but not so much for the frog kicks.

Blade fins provide a lot of torque for pushing a lot of gear or fighting current. The are fine for just about any kicking style. The shorter ones, your traditional paddle fins, provide for a lot of maneuverability.

Now that I just threw myself in front of the bus, let the party begin!

:popcorn:

I have both type of fins. I use my split fins in the quarries and my Scuba Pro Jet fins in the ocean. The reason is I used my splitfins in the ocean with a ripping current and did not get anywhere. But with that said everyone else on the boat had splitfins and had good luck.

Thanks Paddler3d I did not want to be the first.

Here are a few videos I shot, which will prove absolutely nothing.

I have both. I use split fins when "cruising around". The work great against current, or with current for that matter. I even haul them when I go diving overseas - I love them. But, when one needs to hover or quick turn and do fancy manuevers, you can see why underwater photographers love their Scuba Pro Jet Fins.

The videos shown by Dave (above) are excellent!!!

If you have a set of these two fins, Apollo Split Fins, and Scuba Pro Jet Fins, you will have all you need.

By the way, I have 2 sets of each of them. I haven't lost any fins yet, but these are black and non-floating/sinkers!

I have a pair of Sherwood Splits and Scuba pro jets.

The Jets give a better work out. The Splits seem more efficent I have had others tell me that I hardly kick and they are always kicking. They dive Force fins which don't fall into either category.

Curious as to what others thought as to whats better? In terms of speed, ease of use, energy conservation, use, etc..

You know, I bet most people have never really given this any thought. Though, there was this one time...

You're gonna die!

:eyebrow:

I love my splits! Think they are great. stable and I can still keep up with everyone so I guess they work!! Answer is buy a pair of both!! You can never have too much gear!!

I love my splits! Think they are great. stable and I can still keep up with everyone so I guess they work!! Answer is buy a pair of both!! You can never have too much gear!!

What are your buddy's diving that you need to "keep up with everyone" ??

I have both. I use split fins when "cruising around". The work great against current, or with current for that matter. I even haul them when I go diving overseas - I love them. But, when one needs to hover or quick turn and do fancy manuevers, you can see why underwater photographers love their Scuba Pro Jet Fins.

The videos shown by Dave (above) are excellent!!!

If you have a set of these two fins, Apollo Split Fins, and Scuba Pro Jet Fins, you will have all you need.

By the way, I have 2 sets of each of them. I haven't lost any fins yet, but these are black and non-floating/sinkers!
I agree with drdaddy on all points.

My two fins though are Atomic smokes when I have to cover a lot of bottom or deal with current. For precision, I prefer my USD original Blades. I have 2 pair of the Blades as they are no longer produced.

I also have a pair of Cressi Gara freediving fins I sometimes use for scuba, but that discussions is for another thread.:D

Back
Top Bottom