Split Fin vs Straight Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fin on the right foot, straight fin on the left. Problem solved

Fernie, be prepared for some of the replies you will get. Some like splits, some like blades. Some think splits will drag you to the bottom of the sea, some think blades are like diving with cement blocks tied to your feet. And some divers are going to be very committed to their beliefs.

They both work, find what works best for you and the type of diving YOU do. If you get a chance look for Demo Days at your local dive shop and try them both.

You can also type in "splits vs. blades" in the search area, but be prepared to get hundreds of hits. It has been discussed many times in the past.

What he said.

Split fin on the right foot, straight fin on the left. Problem solved

Careful, could become a bit of a circular argument, no?

:eyebrow:

People have told me that Splits are better for people with weaker legs, and jets are better for those with stronger legs. This would make sense from an engineering perspective, as the aspect ratio of the jets is higher than the splits.

I bought a pair of Atomic Split fins and they are okay, but I feel I get more power, speed, and maneuverability out of my Aqualung Rocket fins (similar to SP Jets). My rockets are also about half the cost, and because they are quite a bit shorter than the splits they fit in my luggage a lot better.

Curious as to what others thought as to whats better? In terms of speed, ease of use, energy conservation, use, etc..

Over 35 years I have used a lot of fins. Split fins work. Maybe not the best choice for all applications, but I as a single tank diver who is often in wicked currents I can assure you, they work with more efficiency in a current than paddles.

A lot of those who say they don't work think that way because they don't feel the "burn" you get when kicking a heavy solid plank. Or they don't kjnow how to use them.

Think the old paddle wheel boats versus modern propeller propultion. (They do call splits propeller fins) I know it is kind of a weak analogy I've used before when people argue that you cannot get more efficiency out of split fin than you can for the same energy you put into it or a paddle fin. But when the big old paddle on the steam boat wheel made the first sluggish push it propelled the boat. A modern propeller does not push the water, but rather the water is channeled across the blades. Anyone who has ever tried to do a hole shot in boat knows he needs high revs and there is that moment of hesitation before the boat takes off. The modern propeller has to move fast, but it is more efficient than the old paddle wheels I suspect, or the US Navy would use them on their subs and carriers.

The splits don't have low end torque and are not as quick out of the hole. They may actually take a couple flutters to get up to speed. Also, they work best with a tight rather quick flutter kick inside the hole your body makes passing through the water. Big energy expending thrusts don't work.

Paddle fins OTOH, are more precise and do much better with alternate kicks. Frogs and reverse to name 2.

I am reminded of when I served in the Third Holy Roman Crusade.

When Saladin and Richard the Lion Heart got into a dick swinging contest, they unsheathed their swords each claiming he had the sharper blade.

Richard used his sword to cleave an iron bar in two. Salidin said to Richard " You have shown me the strength of your arm, not the sharpness of your blade." Where upon Salidin offered Richard a gossamer veil and bid him to part it with his blade. To which Richard replied " That is impossible for the veil offers no resistance!" Saladin then retrieved the veil and cast it upon the breeze and allowed it to fall across the upturned edge of HIS blade and he parted the veil with a the smallest and quickest stroke of the sword.

True story. :)

I used to have a friend who told me once “what happens when you split your fins down the middle? You just F up your fins. “

I have both split and jet fins and I use what ever happens to be in my bag at the time. I like them both. The split fins are a little easyer to kick though.

When the weather clears up out here a buddy and I are going to swap fins so each of us can try out the other fins and then I may have a dog in the fight. Over the years I have tried a number of styles de jour and keep coming back to the Jets.

My question is why do the split fins swirl up sand and silt up from the bottom about 3' away? My jets don't move stuff off the bottom till I darn near hit it or are at 90 degrees to the bottom kicking for the surface.

Bob

My question is why do the split fins swirl up sand and silt up from the bottom about 3' away? My jets don't move stuff off the bottom till I darn near hit it or are at 90 degrees to the bottom kicking for the surface.

That is one thing that really gives me the irrits diving with new divers who have split fins. They seem to be much less forgiving in that way and new divers with split fins have always silted up way more than new divers with paddles, in my experience. I have not noticed the experienced divers with split fins do this though so people must adjust their kicking style.

I did a course recently were our instructor said we couldn't use splits (though none of us had them, I was the only one not in Scubapro Jet Fins, I had Northern Diver Jets) and excessive silting was one of the reasons actually (as well as greater risk of entanglement).

I use split fins and find they kick up less stuff than paddles when used correctly. Best way to use them comfortable frequency and low amplitude, think small moves from the hip instead of big ones. Want to go faster, increase the frequency and leave the amplitude the same, works like that against currewnt as well.

I have no trouble accepting that paddles are better for accuracy, but power and efficiency are determined by physics and splits have the facts on their side. Want to argue this, take it up with Newton first and let me know how you do.

Back
Top Bottom