State Boat Harbor Crime and My Fun Day in Court

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Glad you're ok Catherine - the "system" here oft times makes little sense ... I just spent 2 hrs at DMV tyring to transfer ownership of a car ... found out I have to turn in the plates ... which are on Oahu - no they said I can't transfer plates till the car is on Maui... that puts it past the 30 day transfer limit - $50 fine ... and I can't ship the car until it's in my name anyway ... AAAAAARRRRGGGGG !!! :(

If this isn't what the book Catch 22 was about, I don't know what it. This is incredible! Did anyone at the DMV see the dilemma?

C - good tip about the phone & the clock. Better hold up a newspaper with the date also. Wait - that won't work. The paper could be a couple of days old. Well, a guess a lie detector test might do it.

he he, gotta laugh.

So, Tim...it was just an inconvenience like yours. But are WE really the people that need harrassment? I mean, you probably would miss meaningful work had it been your court date. And I could have been cleaning the refridgerator!

But if it makes you feel ...accompanied...I went to DMV today too. Jb needs his registration paid although we just did it 90 days ago...and we presented his non-resident form at that time. The assessment is printed on the registration. They won't let me do it because the say I need another non-resident form now as well. And..he won't be back before it goes to the higher late fined amount....and I have the power of attorney!

So...I just signed our vehicles all over to him and saved about 500 dollars in registration fees, since he is technically not a state resident. Ethical? maybe not...but it's legal and it gets me enough money to deal with the state's random nonsense. Who loses? The state.

Anybody know of a complaint line? I need to Google I guess. I know the Attorney General has one.....

I certainly see why they search people going in to court. This is frustrating, but not emotional. Imagine child custody issues doused with this kind of frustration. (shudder)

You have been here ten generations...don't you have any pull?

catherine96821:
I appeared at courtroom A, like the letter said, at 08:30 and cleared security and was searched.

The sign said "check for your name outside courtroom" My name was not there. My first thought was "yay, just leave"...but I resist my natural instincts.

The door was locked. I entered the next courtroom "B" and waited ten minutes for a break in the judge's ruling and asked the bayliff why my name was not on the list. She told me to go to Courtroom "A".

Courtroom A is still locked and no one is there. Now it is 08:50

I go back to bayliff and whine.

I get sent from office to office as people explain that a default ruling and a bench warrant was issued against me because I was not in court. I said I was in court and they say that they only have my word. I tell them to check the many cameras rolling in every hallway I have been in. They laugh.

I keep asking for a supervisor and taking names for two hours.

Were you at District Court or Circuit Court? (District Court is the one on Alakea and Hotel Street) I'm thinking it was probably district court - and it's always a complete exercise in frustration there. I HATE dealing with that court.

One thing I'm wondering is if you were on the wrong floor - they usually do trials on one floor, criminal hearings on another, traffic stuff on yet another, etc., etc. and it's sometimes not clear if you're on the right floor.

catherine96821:
Don't look for parking because there is not any (and they tell you this on the website). Park in the ghetto on Pacific Heights road near the Shell station and call THE CAB.

There is public parking available in Alii Place across the street from District Court. Don't recall how much it is per half hour and it fills up around lunchtime, though.

If it's at District Court, let me know when you're back for your next court wrangle. :wink: I work across the street - we can meet for lunch if you have time.

Catherine - why a complaint line? Start a simple website documenting the fallacy of the beaurocracy and when your documented up nice and pretty, call your favorite TV station with the over zellous reporter who has nothing better to do than stir the pot and fluster the elected officials. Personally, I'd be calling my state reps. :)

This sort of behavior by the gov't there reminds me of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - the Vocons :)

Cbulla,

Our news stations don't really do that aggressive consumer protection stuff, cause everybody knows somebody...and it would be inpolite in this culture. But...I agree that it would be a good plan in..LA.

BUT, the representative might be a good option. Paying up only makes the situation worse, IMV.

It is my honest opinion that they go after the easy mark for revenue.

yes, Chepar...I will! Thanks for validating my feelings.

The problems we all have with government bureaucrats makes me think we should forget anymore attempts to term limit elected officials and there should be mandatory term limits for non-elected employees. We’re going after the symptom rather than the real problem otherwise.

I’ve always had better luck dropping in on the prosecutor’s office a couple days before the court date and plea bargaining directly with them and never having to go to court – not that I’ve ever gotten too many speeding tickets.

hmmm. pondering that.

I like that. Plus probably no one does that here so it might actually work.....

thanks. Right now...I have a court date.

Catherine:
1. IMHO, your best defense is to argue "entrapment" and that by ticketing you, the State has violated Federal Due Process. "Entrapment" is basically when the State creates a situation in which a normally law abiding person is baited into committing a crime he or she would not ordinarily commit. For example, having a "No Left Turn" sign at an intersection and then blocking off both streight and right turns and then ticketing those who turn left is entrapment. And, IMHO, having a parking stall that is not marked is also entrapment.

2. If you think you've got it bad, I get to spend tomorrow afternoon doing traffic arraignments in Santa Monica.

3. Last time I did traffic arraignment, the last case on calendar was for a woman who got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt. I asked how she wanted to plead. She said "Guilty with an explanation." I asked for her explanation. She explained that at the time the officer saw her and ticketed her, she was at a stop sign and thus was not actually driving and therefore wasn't actually driving without a seat belt. I told her that it sounded like she wanted to assert that as a defense and that iif so, then she should plead "not guilty" and have a trial. She said she did not want to plead "not guilty" and have a trial but that she thought she should not be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt because she was not in motion. This went on for 17 minutes.

4. Earlier in the day, a felllow wanted to challlenge a speeding ticket (70 in a 35). His "defense" was that his car couldn't go that fast given the distance from the last light where he had been stopped.

5. Court is not easy for anyone.

6. BTW: It was a Ferarri.

ItsBruce:
4. Earlier in the day, a felllow wanted to challlenge a speeding ticket (70 in a 35). His "defense" was that his car couldn't go that fast given the distance from the last light where he had been stopped.

5. Court is not easy for anyone.

6. BTW: It was a Ferarri.
:rofl3: I tried a similar defense in 1969, but it didn’t work since the judge knew what a GT-40 really was.

thanks Bruce.

My paperwork they gave me after posting the bail, (bond?) says "illegal parking--no sign required."
hey, I have been going to that boat ramp for three yesrs and I did not know you could not park in the extra long stall, meant for a trailer.

Okay...I might try that. It was entrapment, not to mention the virtual trial they gave me between 08:30 and 08:50, when I was "not there". What the heck do they use those cameras for, in the hallway?

Oh...and while we are on the subject, the x husband just got a 600 dollar ticket for not having his proof of insurance in a rental car, in your lovely state of California....The little card? that you keep in your car?

Back
Top Bottom