Storing gear in garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will caution you this - "critters" may end up in your gear in unlikely places, sometimes making cocoons (had one in my BC inflator). Storage tubs work well (caution: some have vents), and I suggest getting some very large zip-lock bags (they sell huge ones that will even fit a BC) to package items in, once dry. This also protects your stuff from the other hazards describes in this thread.

If it's out of sunlight it will be fine, heat or no heat. Inside a suitcase won't have any higher ambient temperature than the rest of the garage so there's no "extra heat" to be had by storing it where it will remain clean and easily kept together.

I'm really amazed at all the fuss people make about their gear. The purpose is to get it wet, it's not going to melt in the rain or even in the heat. UV and chemicals are about the only thing that's going to damage gear being stored. It will last a lifetime if you protect it from those two things.

+1 on "critters". I was on a charter a couple weeks ago and one of the guys said he had left his gear on his porch to dry after his last quarry dive. When he turned over his booties and shook them one of the biggest black widows I've ever seen fell out...the captain said that was a first for his boat.

Leave your gear in a FL attic and see how long it lasts, I have seen bc's dryrot from it. That is why you should be aware of heat. With it getting wet I dont think many people want mildewed gear, but it physically wont hurt it too bad other than rotting the nylon faster

I want to store my mask, fins, booties, gloves and snorkel in a small suitcase in my garage. It does get hot in the garage, so is this a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks.

gas fumes and bugs/critters would be your worst issue.

I saw a regulator once that was stored hanging on a hook on the garage wall. inside the exhaust vents of the 2nd stage was a mass of dirt rows made by a "dirt dobber" (bug) that had decided to make a nest in there. Luckily the guy just happen to take them down for annual service at the LDS before he used them.

I think a rubermaid bin would work great (like others mentioned) I store a lot of gear in one like this.

images

Put a solar attic fan on your garage. I did and it keeps my garage about 10-15 degrees cooler.

If there are any heaters or other things that produce ozone in your garage, keep your gear as far away as possible.

Got a link to what kind of fan you installed? I might be interested in doing that just .

If it's out of sunlight it will be fine, heat or no heat. Inside a suitcase won't have any higher ambient temperature than the rest of the garage so there's no "extra heat" to be had by storing it where it will remain clean and easily kept together.

I'm really amazed at all the fuss people make about their gear. The purpose is to get it wet, it's not going to melt in the rain or even in the heat. UV and chemicals are about the only thing that's going to damage gear being stored. It will last a lifetime if you protect it from those two things.

That's simply not true. Heat most certainly accelerates the decay process by allowing plasticizers to leach out of the plastic components.

I deal with it every day.

I store all of my gear in my garage. What I don't store in there is a car, gasoline-powered tools or gas cans. Gasoline fumes and dive equipment really aren't compatible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ga·rage/gəˈräZH/ Noun: A building or shed for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.

In your case it sounds more like a shelter for expensive hobbies....

:D

Another option is to consider retrofit the garage door and make it an insulated door. If you leave in a hurricane prone area, you may want to go all the way and replace the door for one that is impact resistant and insulated. You'll get a small discount on insurance and your gear will be fresher

ga·rage/gəˈräZH/ Noun: A building or shed for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.

In your case it sounds more like a shelter for expensive hobbies....

:D

Sounds about right ...

Garage-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom