Storing gear in garage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat isn't really good for the latex seals, probably not best for the zipper, can't help the glues that hold the thing together... if you have room inside, it's not a bad idea. I try to get mine inside, but sometimes they do live in the garage longer term. By far, the most wear on my drysuit is from me abusing it underwater, not from my garage, but it does help the seals last a little longer to keep the cool and ozone free.

It also helps to keep the seals and zipper clean. McNett sells several products for the zipper and seals that help protect it from oils and whatever else it is that hurts them, but plain old talc helps on the seals too.

I store my gear in a large wheeled Rubbermaid tub, except the wetsuit and vest which hang. The important thing is to make sure the stuff dries thoroughly, except the inside of the BC which is not practical to dry.

I keep the car in the garage as well; today's cars don't give off fumes.

Adam

The garage is fine, but DO put your gear in a sealed container to keep out moisture and creeping things. Bugs will crawl in regulators, mice will chew anything.In fact, it will be cooler inside a sealed container than outside, if the garage heats up on sunny day. You can hang the bc and exposure suits zipped inside a sealed plastic bag or hanging bag piece of luggage. I have a scuba room in my basement without about $25,000 worth of gear in it. I keep all bagged or containerized even inside. I don't want spiders or roaches in in, or mice or anything else.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom