Subsurface & Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the last person you want to hear from, however on Mac or Windows the (desktop) application
if I could get a wireshark ethernet trace of data being sent to shearwater cloud I am curious how quickly I could pull a complete dive setup off their cloud.
-----------------------------------------------
On a discovery note... [Perdix2] those seeing eternal divelog transfers be it dive computer to pc / phone /subsurface [check to see if cloud is being synced]
dive log on Bluetooth4.0LE transfer from unit to computer/phone is faster if they push to the cloud... ( slows the speed of the bluetooth requests so the dive unit can respond )
------------------------------------------------
Things to check when transferring data from the dive unit to subsurface
1.) no other bluetooth signals nearby <--- this will slow if not error out the transfer
2.) the phone or desktop you have paired bluetooth is active and in reach <--- this will kill the transfer
-----------------------------------------------
As more information is found and reasons for the behaviors I will post. ( I gather the technical stuff is not the goal just the functionality here ) let me know elsewise

For me I connect my Perdix to Subsurface on an iPad.
1. click the watch icon in the bottom middle
2. Choose dive computer vender name from drop down menu
3. choose computer model
4. choose connection type (Bluetooth)

of course one would have to have started the Bluetooth connection on the Perdix during this time.
once connected, there is a blue icon with the computer name under the drop down menus on subsurface. Now you will need to click on that. Then the download button should be highlighted and the process begins.

For me I connect my Perdix to Subsurface on an iPad.
1. click the watch icon in the bottom middle
2. Choose dive computer vender name from drop down menu
3. choose computer model
4. choose connection type (Bluetooth)

of course one would have to have started the Bluetooth connection on the Perdix during this time.
once connected, there is a blue icon with the computer name under the drop down menus on subsurface. Now you will need to click on that. Then the download button should be highlighted and the process begins.
longest deay you have seen and ability to offload dive if you use another program like subsurface... also issues in export if you see them (uddf uucf xls other)

I really like subsurface better than the shearwater app. Manly for the notes and ability to add in gos locations of the dive sites. I absolutely love checking out the world map and seeing all the dive flags. Plus the ability to click on one and see all the dives I made there.

However I love the power of the shearwater app to make a graph of the dive more complex. Subsurface only tracks a single tank. So it doesn’t know if I am on doubles. It will put in a deco tank, if I give it the data. But the Shesrwater graph can really drill down into many other tracking items of a dive. Subsurface is limited to time, depth, gas, GF and temps. Plus SW you can move your finger through the graph to really know what was going on at a certain moment of the dive.

longest deay you have seen and ability to offload dive if you use another program like subsurface... also issues in export if you see them (uddf uucf xls other)
Delay? Delay in the download time? Delay in offload?

Not sure about a number to give for download time. I guess it would depend on how many dives you are uploading and how much info those dives had. Delay in offload I have no idea what offload is. As far as using other programs I only use Shearwaters app, subsurface and dive buddy. Shearwater has its own Bluetooth connection as does subsurface. So no transfer there. Dive buddy (last I was on there) didn’t have any computer connection. So you have to type in everything you want.

I really like subsurface better than the shearwater app. Manly for the notes and ability to add in gos locations of the dive sites. I absolutely love checking out the world map and seeing all the dive flags. Plus the ability to click on one and see all the dives I made there.

However I love the power of the shearwater app to make a graph of the dive more complex. Subsurface only tracks a single tank. So it doesn’t know if I am on doubles. It will put in a deco tank, if I give it the data. But the Shesrwater graph can really drill down into many other tracking items of a dive. Subsurface is limited to time, depth, gas, GF and temps. Plus SW you can move your finger through the graph to really know what was going on at a certain moment of the dive.
Interesting perspective...
you using the most recent subsurface?
I have seen the shearwater application why I hit this thread because to put it simply .. I do not use any mac MS IOS or Droid devices.. ( I had to borrow a IOS and droid device to debug my perdix ) so I could write code to avoid the shearwater app ...
I do perdix2 --> Linux--> subsurface latest version I run deco dives on that twinset and sidemount
I will open up my dives and see if the data is skewed

Delay? Delay in the download time? Delay in offload?

Not sure about a number to give for download time. I guess it would depend on how many dives you are uploading and how much info those dives had. Delay in offload I have no idea what offload is. As far as using other programs I only use Shearwaters app, subsurface and dive buddy. Shearwater has its own Bluetooth connection as does subsurface. So no transfer there. Dive buddy (last I was on there) didn’t have any computer connection. So you have to type in everything you want.
All MAC windows OS or Droid IOS correct? if you have versions of OS I would be interested
As for Download I am mainly am interested in the Bluetooth 4.0 LE ( Shearwater ) "implementation" and its behaviour offloading dives from the dive computer to the end device irrespective of application.
however my bias is towards Linux Sub surface performance vs other platforms and applications.
having the complete data set allows for a educated decision I know pulling from my garmin I can rip 60 dives in 30 seconds so 1~2 dives a second depending on connection.
I have heard nightmares on transfers and dreams ( all I ask is know how much bluetooth devices are within range when you time the transfer this is important as the shearwater units have a last known last talk memory even though they do not [pair]

the Shesrwater graph can really drill down into many other tracking items of a dive. Subsurface is limited to time, depth, gas, GF and temps. Plus SW you can move your finger through the graph to really know what was going on at a certain moment of the dive
Turn on the Info Window in the profile to see additional, time resolved info in Subsurface. It's not a line, but lots of info is available. It also understands dual cylinders (manifolded or sidemount/independent) and does graph those pressures. Understanding time-resolved RMV for sidemount without explicit gas switch events is a somewhat new bug fix (released maybe 6 months ago?).

Interesting perspective...
you using the most recent subsurface?
I have seen the shearwater application why I hit this thread because to put it simply .. I do not use any mac MS IOS or Droid devices.. ( I had to borrow a IOS and droid device to debug my perdix ) so I could write code to avoid the shearwater app ...
I do perdix2 --> Linux--> subsurface latest version I run deco dives on that twinset and sidemount
I will open up my dives and see if the data is skewed
App says version 6.0.5031. Not sure if that is the latest version or not. I have never had any issues nor did a manual update. If the iPad did an update for me, I haven’t checked.

All MAC windows OS or Droid IOS correct? if you have versions of OS I would be interested
As for Download I am mainly am interested in the Bluetooth 4.0 LE ( Shearwater ) "implementation" and its behaviour offloading dives from the dive computer to the end device irrespective of application.
however my bias is towards Linux Sub surface performance vs other platforms and applications.
having the complete data set allows for a educated decision I know pulling from my garmin I can rip 60 dives in 30 seconds so 1~2 dives a second depending on connection.
I have heard nightmares on transfers and dreams ( all I ask is know how much bluetooth devices are within range when you time the transfer this is important as the shearwater units have a last known last talk memory even though they do not [pair]
Oh, I should be more clear. I am using an iPad app of subsurface as well as the shearwater app. So both operate on Apple IOS. No MAC, windows or droid OSs used.
as far as tracking all the data for uploading, I have no interest in looking at that, nor the know how. There is a developer section on subsurface that I am sure the information is located. But I do not care to look though all that code and figure out something that doesn’t effect my every day life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom