Technique goals for 2007?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master my Drysuit , work on trim (drysuit threw it off) , back kicks (i suck) , and last get more time in the water and keep learning.

Last night I decided to recommit myself to logging dives in '07. I know that's not a technique thing, specifically, but I stopped logging at about 300 dives or so.

At the end of each year I go back and count them up. '06 was a busy year for me at just over 250 dives... and I miss being able to look back and see what happened on each dive, what I saw, what I was thinking, the funny things that happened, etc. I used to keep a journal as much as a log book - and I miss it.

My first dive this year will be tomorrow. I'm gonna log it for sure.

And all the rest.

---
Ken

amascuba:
I have more hours in a pools then I care to count. It's easy to hover when you can see the bottom below you or fix yourself a point on the wall. It's a total different story when you have no reference point to watch while you are hovering.
I have a cure for that ... try navigating a course while swimming midwater (where you can't see the bottom) and holding a specified depth. For real fun, have one buddy do the compass work while the other monitors depth and time.

Once you've learned how to do this, holding your buoyancy under "normal" circumstances while focusing on another task will be much easier ... you'll also have developed an appreciation of how good buddy skills can improve the dive for both of you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just for reference, the dive Bob describes above is the evil navigation dive we have all learned to fear :)

lol .. That sounds like a fun dive Bob. It would be fun to try as well as watch others try. :)

In 2007, I need to develop "consistency" in my technique.

It seems that I can do anything for a limited amount of time or on a hit a miss basis, but to be able to reproduce things with consistency is a whole different matter.

There is one thing in which I have great consistency! My back kick!

The back kick is the only thing I'm consistent with. I have consistently failed to move backward or develop any ability to do this thing! So I guess my goal for my back kick is to develop some inconsistency. :wink:

Bob, Lynne or anyone else familiar with Bob's navigational maze of midwater terror: What does this course look like? What do you navigate to, so that you know whether or not you've done it right? I'm assuming that at some point you have some visual reference to know that you're "on target".

I don't mean this to be a hijack, but only a 2 or 3 post "sidetrip".

Christian

gomi_otaku:
How to get all my gear out of the house and into the van without my wife noticing.
:rofl3:

The technique to use: diversion.

1: If you have kids, sugar them up in the day before..... wears the mrs out... she falls asleep on the couch, you load up the truck. The day of diving, get up early, while she is still asleep and sneak out

2: Get her drunk the night before, she passes out load up the truck... and onwards from there.

:D

Seriously though... I want to look into side mount diving this year....

On the nav dive, Bob gives you a slate with a course: 130 degrees for 2 minutes, 300 degrees for three minutes, etc. He's plotted it out so it comes back to your starting point. I've never gotten to my starting point, because I usually only get two legs done before I get so disoriented I have to surface. Trying to swim a course on depth when everything in every direction is the exact same green is my idea of the 7th circle of you-know-where.

TSandM:
On the nav dive, Bob gives you a slate with a course: 130 degrees for 2 minutes, 300 degrees for three minutes, etc. He's plotted it out so it comes back to your starting point. I've never gotten to my starting point, because I usually only get two legs done before I get so disoriented I have to surface. Trying to swim a course on depth when everything in every direction is the exact same green is my idea of the 7th circle of you-know-where.

Lol .. I'll have to try Bob's course one day. :) We have plenty of muck around here that makes it easy to practice dives like that. :)

Back
Top Bottom