Technique goals for 2007?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yea, AAA diving Alex made me do that. I think we did kick cycles, not time.

we also had to "find" him by searching the expanding box. I suck, but got lucky. Search and recovery/ navigation class.

I want to work on freediving. Getting to 1.5 minutes breathholding topside in exercises would be nice.

Shooting the fish eye inside wrecks. Managing gas without playing it too close, while taking pictures.

Thinking more clearly at depth, my constant challenge.

TSandM:
On the nav dive, Bob gives you a slate with a course: 130 degrees for 2 minutes, 300 degrees for three minutes, etc. He's plotted it out so it comes back to your starting point. I've never gotten to my starting point, because I usually only get two legs done before I get so disoriented I have to surface. Trying to swim a course on depth when everything in every direction is the exact same green is my idea of the 7th circle of you-know-where.
That sounds fun!

I'm trying to figure out how it works out geometrically, so that no matter what your speed it still works out back to the same place.

Does the entire process take place in a void or does each compass heading take you to an object that eventually comes into view and sets you up for your next compass heading?

Christian

Oh, no -- finding an object would give you a visual reference. You do the whole figure (whatever Bob drew out) with no visual reference other than your buddy. One person watches the compass, the other monitors depth and time.

Catherine, this exercise is a totally different animal when you can see 100 feet! Try it when you can see TEN, and you're twenty feet below the surface, and twenty feet above the bottom!

headhunter:
I'm trying to figure out how it works out geometrically, so that no matter what your speed it still works out back to the same place.

The relationship works as long as you don't CHANGE speed. Fast or slow doesn't change the shape's proportions.

TS&M we'll have to try this sometime. Since its dark so early anyway, how about at night too?

rjack321:
The relationship works as long as you don't CHANGE speed. Fast or slow doesn't change the shape's proportions.

TS&M we'll have to try this sometime. Since its dark so early anyway, how about at night too?

You trying to make TS&M stroke out? lol

Nah, with her new LP85s she can handle it!

Honestly I don't know how I would do. I got kinda woozy down in MX (on the line for 15-20 mins, in the complete dark, waiting for my buddy to complete the lost line drill)

kidspot:
my curiosity is piqued now ... how do you compensate for current?
a scooter.

Cove 2 has almost no current, and you can't navigate that precisely, anyway.

Richard, I'd be happy to try again. The last time, I got disoriented and began a deliberate attempt to settle myself. Question: Which way are my bubbles going? Answer: They're running up my stomach, which means I must be head down. Look at my buddy -- He's head up, vertical in the water. Shame on him, he knows better. Ooops, he DOES know better. He's probably horizontal, and my bubbles aren't lying. That means I'm trying to swim along vertical, but vertical head DOWN. Ka-chunk, world reorients itself and I get motion sickness as a result and thumb the dive.

It wouldn't be a whole lot different in the dark. It's an evil dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom